Line breeding - opinions & discussion :) (split from another topic)

3 posters

Go down

Line breeding - opinions & discussion :) (split from another topic) Empty Line breeding - opinions & discussion :) (split from another topic)

Post by Nosipho Thu Aug 22 2013, 12:13

Hakuna wrote:Pure inbreeding is risky and I don’t condone it, but line breeding is not detrimental and can improve stock when done properly (that is the key here). I’m not talking about mother to son / father to daughter matings that is inbreeding. Line breeding you would occasionally use cousins and half siblings…. if done PROPERLY a type is established and you can pretty much know what the outcome of the breeding will be.

Pure inbreeding shouldn’t be done, but line breeding (again, with knowledge of the ancestory and done properly) will cement vital characteristics.

My dog is a line bred Stafford, she’s very “typey” … I like her line and that’s one of the main reasons we got her.

ATB,
Paul
I think everyone's getting a bit hot under the collar here. Yes linebreeding is inbreeding and of course you can only breed supposedly healthy dogs into your line. We know and can test for some genetic conditions but I think what Steve is trying to say is that other conditions can go unnoticed and line breeding will increase the risk of these. Or a few generations down the line something could crop up that will take a lot of work to get rid of. Linebreeding has been important in the past to set certain features etc. but often breeders don't outcross often enough and this leads to a high inbreeding coefficient. It is the 'short-cut' to achieving the results you want. I would rather go the long way round but that's just me! As you said everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Smile
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Line breeding - opinions & discussion :) (split from another topic) Empty Re: Line breeding - opinions & discussion :) (split from another topic)

Post by Nosipho Thu Aug 22 2013, 12:14

Hakuna wrote:Guys, I’m not saying that line breeding should be taken on by any Tom, * or Harry. There is always a risk that faults, health issues and exaggerations can be introduced, and that’s why it should only be left to the likes of knowledgeable dog men and women. But it has proved to be successful form of breeding with people reporting no health issues and consistent, generational success.

Just for the record I appreciate I’m only new here.. I like to question things, I enjoy a debate so please don’t perceive me as trolling or trying to stir things up because that really isn’t my aim.I do like the layout and general flow of the forum. I intend to always be civil to be people on here. But there are some very intense and utmost, supreme views on here, which doesn't personally bother me, but for a new comer, perhaps new to the breed it must be quite daunting. I get the feeling that there is a little bit of “band wagon” thing going on too, maybe i'm wrong?… (Just a bit of honest feedback). I would like to think this as a friendly place where people don’t get bashed, flamed or de-valued for having an alternative view. I have a mind of my own and I will speak it.
ATB,
Paul
And I do agree with this Paul. Sometimes I think some of the more experienced Stafford people here can come across a bit strong and it is probably quite off-putting to new owners who have joined up here. We don't want to scare people away we want to educate them!
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Line breeding - opinions & discussion :) (split from another topic) Empty Re: Line breeding - opinions & discussion :) (split from another topic)

Post by Hakuna Thu Aug 22 2013, 12:40

Hi Nosipho,

Thanks for your response. I don't want to keep going round the houses with regards to the hole COI/inbreeding discussion because as far as I'm concerned I've said my piece and that's that ... I felt a bit sorry for the OP in all honesty and didn't want her to think that she had landed herself with some sort of mutant puppy lol .....there is a much bigger picture to it all and I felt that the point needed to be made, that's all I was saying.

I've been lurking on here for a while and have searched through many topics and threads and have noticed that there does appear to be a bit of a "magic circle" theme going on (there really is, it's not difficult to see) and if someone happens to have an alternative opinion it's seems to be very much a "how dare you!!" kind of scenario ... which is all a bit sill really.

Like I said I have a mind of my own (as I would hope others on here do too:) - I post on my experiences, the way I have done things, what has worked and hasn't worked, not off the influence of others.

Onwards and upwards.

ATB,
Paul

Hakuna
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Minnie
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 22 2013, 12:45

I think I made it pretty clear that I respected your opinion and wasn't forcing mine on you. I kept my tone friendly. I don't see how there's anything wrong with that confused You said you liked debating - that's exactly what it was. You said why you agree with line breeding, so I said why I disagreed. At no point was I rude and at no point did I say that you were wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hakuna Thu Aug 22 2013, 12:48

Eleanor wrote:I think I made it pretty clear that I respected your opinion and wasn't forcing mine on you. I kept my tone friendly. I don't see how there's anything wrong with that :-/You said you liked debating - that's exactly what it was. You said why you agree with line breeding, so I said why I disagreed. At no point was I rude and at no point did I say that you were wrong.

Good afternoon Eleanor,

It was a blanket response in all honesty, no names mentioned. You have been more than polite and made a valid point which I accepted.

ATB,
Paul

Hakuna

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 22 2013, 12:50

Fair enough - I'm sorry I snapped. I'd assumed you were accusing me of being rude. Tongues

Back to top Go down

Post by Hakuna Thu Aug 22 2013, 12:54

Eleanor wrote:Fair enough - I'm sorry I snapped. I'd assumed you were accusing me of being rude. Tongues

It's okay Eleanor. No hard feelings. Happy days Smile 
Atb,
Paul

Hakuna

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 22 2013, 12:55

All water under the bridge! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hakuna Thu Aug 22 2013, 12:59

Eleanor wrote:All water under the bridge! Smile
Most certainly is as far as I'm concerned. Many more debates to be had with you ... hopefully;) 

Atb,
Paul

Hakuna

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Aug 22 2013, 13:03

They usually get locked lol!
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 22 2013, 13:07

Looking forward to it! Smile

They normally get locked because they go off topic Tongues I'm going to split the thread so that the original poster's question doesn't get drowned.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 22 2013, 13:09

All done! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 22 2013, 16:51

this is a better way to handle things Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Aug 22 2013, 17:38

Nosipho wrote:They usually get locked lol!
do you have an problem how i run things?

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 22 2013, 18:09

I think it was meant just in general Steve Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Fri Aug 23 2013, 16:32

No Steve I see now why they get locked as they go off topic makes sense as it is in the rules not to highjack posts. I just love a good debate and its rubbish when things get finished prematurely.

Constructive criticism works wonders sometimes, I'm not going on one I just feel sometimes its your way or the highway. Anyways I'm going off topic
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down