car sick..

3 posters

Go down

car sick.. Empty car sick..

Post by smudge95 Mon Jun 22 2015, 08:33

Any advice on what I can do to stop poor Buddy getting travel sick- the first time he did it was on the way home form the vets after his jabs and I thought it may have been the stress of it all , but it has happened twice now - he gets so upset as he thinks he is in trouble !

I have him on a harness attached to the seat belt - he has been sick in the back and the front seats- I leave it a while after feeding before I put him the car ...

is there anything I can give him before we travel to help - we have so many places we want to take him will be such a shame if he is ill every time

smudge95
smudge95
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : 20.02.2015
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 56

Back to top Go down

car sick.. Empty Re: car sick..

Post by KMack02 Mon Jun 22 2015, 09:46

Pepper used to do this, she would whine and panic and drool like no ones business.

What we did was to take her out more often, so we started with little 5 minute journeys and gradually built it up and she seems to be ok now although she will be sick if she's fed half an hour before the journey so always try to leave a gap between feeding and car trips
KMack02
KMack02
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pepper
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

car sick.. Empty Re: car sick..

Post by Bane Mon Jun 22 2015, 21:51

Bane used to be perfect in the car until one time he was sick. From then on he seemed to almost learn that going in the car meant he had to be sick.

To get him used to being back in the car, we did as Keyleigh suggested: took him on shorter rides and slowly built up his tolerance to longer journeys. We always walk him and try to get him tired before a car journey so he is calmer and if we know we have to go in the car for a long journey, we do not feed at all on that day before hand.

We regularly drive down to my parents. It's about 2.5 hours in the car and he handles these journeys well again Smile We put his bed on the back seats with his blanket and a couple toys and he usually just goes to sleep.
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down