AussieStaff
Mia05
-Ian-
densil
8 posters

Go down

Attacked again by loose dog Empty Attacked again by loose dog

Post by densil Tue Mar 10 2015, 11:01

Some of you may remember Densil got attacked by a loose dog before, who jumped out of front garden after him.

We were out walking today and went down a road I haven't been down for several months - I intended to take him to a small park area to let him have a run on the long lead. As we were walking down the road a cat ran across the road just ahead so Densil was eager to get to see where it had gone. All of a sudden I heard a scream and looked down and there was this wire haired terrier which had appeared from nowhere behind us. It was biting and hanging off Densil's ears and then had his mouth around Densils. The dog's owner appeared and I screamed at her to get it off him as I thought it was going kill Densil - I had grabbed his lead and had him close to me and had tried to shoo the other dog away but it just went straight for him. I told the owner to squeeze her dog's collar to get it to lose it's grip on Densil, but on hindsight i'm not sure it was even wearing a collar. In the end Densil did the usual staffy thing and grabbed it in his mouth and just froze with it. So I had to gently squeeze his collar and tell him to drop. This took a few minutes and then the owner grabbed her dog and said she was very sorry and walked off with it, so I'm not sure if it's ok or not - there was no blood involved. A neighbour asked if we were ok as I was shaking like a leaf. She said it wasn't the first time this has happened and the rspca had been out to visit them. I just went straight home with Densil and checked him out and he seems to be ok, although I know this is now going to set him back - he was always wary of other dogs and he had been getting so much better as I had been distracting him with treats and praising him when other dogs went by.
densil
densil
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Attacked again by loose dog Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Densil
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Attacked again by loose dog Empty Re: Attacked again by loose dog

Post by -Ian- Tue Mar 10 2015, 13:30

It's infuriating and upsetting when this happens. Why can't people be more responsible with thier flippin dogs !!!

Hopefully Densil won't be put off too much by this incident Sad

I had the misfortune to have a similar incident yesterday. Whilst walking through Squirrel alley in Flo's big park. I noticed a shifty teenager just stood by the trees, anyhow it turns out he had a golden retriever with him so I assumed he was waiting for the dog. On our return back up Squirrel alley I saw him with a catapult trying to shoot the Squirrels. He didn't see me and Flo until I yelled at him that if he didn't get his dog off Flo's back then I wouldn't be held responsible for her next actions. Well the dopy lad hadn't a clue and I had to drag his dog away while Flo looked on bemused Rolling Eyes

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Attacked again by loose dog B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Tue Mar 10 2015, 19:00

Disnae half gie u a fright

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Attacked again by loose dog B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Wed Mar 11 2015, 19:08

I think Densil has got over the episode better than I have - I was very shaken as at one point I thought the dog was going to kill Densil. I am trying not to be anxious on our walks but I am even more nervous now of loose dogs - this one just came up behind us out of nowhere - I recalled somebody coming out of their house on the other side of the road as we walked by and this is where the dog came from - it escaped out of the house. I feel awful if the dog is injured (which I think it was because it was just laying on the ground panting) or worse but at the end of the day it is their responsibility to ensure their dog is contained and not a danger to other dogs.
densil
densil

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Thu Mar 12 2015, 02:51

God what an awful experience, something I fear so much! I'm glad your boy is ok and hope he keeps his confidence up and in time you too. Sorry this happened to you both x
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Post by KITA90 Thu Mar 12 2015, 09:20

Aww what a shame when he was doing so well with other dogs....I hope this doesn't effect your boy too much Sad
KITA90
KITA90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Shéara & Mollie
Dog(s) Ages : Sheara 9, Mollie 8
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Thu Mar 12 2015, 20:57

This is why i take a hiking stick or ball launcher with me.

Amelie
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Sat Mar 14 2015, 18:13

I have more or less decided to walk Densil with a muzzle, so have bought the basket type and gradually getting him used to one. My husband isn't very happy about it, although he doesn't walk the dog - I do. He said it makes it look like he is a dangerous dog. To my mind it is protecting him, as when he had a cat attack him his face was terribly scratched, and also if we have any more loose yappy dogs trying to attack him at least they won't come off the worse for wear, as I feel terrible to think he has caused the death of 1 dog and maybe 2, even though he is not dog aggressive, it is just that he can protect himself.
densil
densil

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogface Sat Mar 14 2015, 21:08

Wearing a muzzle doesn't protect him from attack, it puts him in a very vulnerable and unnatural position. He needs to be able to defend himself if need be and if that results in the attacking dog being hurt, so be it. Better that than the alternative. Even if he's not hurt the act of being prevented from defending himself could cause him mental trauma and spark behavioural issues. Dog fights are horrible but at the end of the day it's two animals behaving naturally. If one of them is put at an artificial disadvantage then right away you're causing a lot more problems.

Muzzles have their place but but I don't see a need for one here, unless more has happened since you posted.
Dogface
Dogface
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Support total : 124

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Mon Mar 16 2015, 11:50

Still hadn't made up my mind about the muzzle and like you say he can't defend himself properly. Point in case - today we were coming down the road when a loose doberman or rottweiller came out of a flats car park followed by a man. when he saw us he grabbed hold of his dog's collar. I tried to get densil to look at me but he wanted to "have a go" and was jumping up and growling. When I looked back the man was walking his dog up the road holding onto his collar, so obviously never had a lead with him. I just hope he didn't meet anybody else on his walk - makes me so cross that people cannot walk their dogs on a lead down a main road.
densil
densil

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Tue Mar 24 2015, 17:14

I am not one for muzzles either for the very reason dogface has mentioned. As long as your dog is under control, on the lead, and another dog is not, then its that dogs owner that is at fault. Just remember you being uptight on walks, Densil will pick up on that, which in turn will make him nervous. You need to be relaxed. Having said that about muzzles, there are times when one is needed, but it must be for the correct reasons.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down