Barking at people who walk differently

4 posters

Go down

Barking at people who walk differently Empty Barking at people who walk differently

Post by Bane Tue Dec 30 2014, 21:28

We went home to visit the parents over Christmas, and Bane had a few odd moments. My nana came around and he was absolutely fine when he first met her, had a fuss and everything and he has met her plenty of times before with no problems. The thing is she has to use two walking sticks to walk and is quite hunched over and wobbly. As soon as she stood and went to leave, Bane just went nuts barking and growling at her.

He also did it to another of my parent's friends. He made a fuss when he first met her and then she went into the kitchen to make a coffee and was just standing there, when he charged in and started growling and barking and even stood next to her sort of howling at her? I wasn't really sure what to do and didn't know if he would try to bite or something so just took him away and then when she was in the other room he was fine again, went and had a fuss, no problems.

We then went for a walk this morning, and there was an old man walking down the street with a slight limp and he was doing the same. Growling and kept trying to stop to bark at him. I also recall now ages ago he had a grumble and bark at another man with a limp, I just assumed it was because it was dark.

I imagine that he is unsure of the way they were moving, in that they weren't walking like everyone else does, ie with a limp or walking sticks.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to help him see that people with walking sticks or limps are just the same as everyone else and not a threat? :/ We don't really have anyone to practise with and not sure strangers would be happy to approach him if he is barking and growling at them?
Bane
Bane
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Barking at people who walk differently Empty Re: Barking at people who walk differently

Post by JStaff Tue Dec 30 2014, 21:35

We have had a similar issue not with a cane or a walk but with one specific guy at teh park. Suki will run and bark at him constantly. We moved her a little bit away and had her play with other dogs as a distraction. It's worked to some degree but not completly
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Barking at people who walk differently Empty Re: Barking at people who walk differently

Post by Mia05 Tue Dec 30 2014, 22:31

its probably the noise of the sticks they tend to make more noise on the ground rather than in the house. All i can suggest is perhaps distract bane take a favourite toy perhaps some treats with plenty positive encouragement. also explain to the person hes a bit spooked and perhaps they could give the toy or treats to bane and he wouldn't see the as a threat.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Barking at people who walk differently B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by mrapcraig Wed Dec 31 2014, 11:32

I would say it is fear caused by the sticks or different walk/clothing/age

A dog wont eat anything if it is 'scared' as its natural instinct is fight or flight with an empty stomach! (read that by some dog professor). What may be better as suggested above is to use his favourite toy as a distraction or a little jingle bell thing as a distraction, which you could then try and distract him to eat treats with.

mrapcraig
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Fri Jan 02 2015, 21:04

The thing is, not all of them had walking sticks, just my nana and they had rubber bottoms anyway so wouldn't have made any noise. That's why I am thinking it was the way that they were moving.

Bane won't touch food when there is any form of distraction and doesn't really have a favourite toy that he goes nuts for. Once outside and fixated on something, we haven't really found anything that will get his attention...maybe we'll have to try dressing someone up to test it on.
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down