Whole pigs trotter

3 posters

Go down

Whole pigs trotter Empty Whole pigs trotter

Post by Scoobster Wed Dec 10 2014, 09:32

I'm picking up a new batch of raw for Scoob this week and would like to add in some trotters to vary things up some more.

They are a decent size from what I've seen so was wondering whether this acts as one of his meals as a whole?

He gets fed twice a day at the moment consisting of around 700g in mince/bone etc.

Cheers Smile
Scoobster
Scoobster
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Scooby
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Whole pigs trotter Empty Re: Whole pigs trotter

Post by jshrew Wed Dec 10 2014, 10:25

I got some for Ledger and figured it would be one meal (every now and then I will just feed one big meal early afternoon instead of the usual breakfast and dinner) however he won't touch them the smell interests him but I think it's the texture of the flesh. 

I still have 3 in the freezer so may try again now he is more settled into a raw diet, let us know how Scooby gets on
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 10 2014, 17:34

According to my guys, trotters rock! It takes them about 20 mins to much their way through what is effectively half a leg. So yes, they constitute a meal for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Wed Dec 10 2014, 21:33

They can be a meal by themselves, but just remember that they are mainly bone and grisly bits and not much meat. Pork is also quite fatty so just be sure to even out the bone:meat ratios with the other meal that day or over the course of the week.

20 mins Liz! Wow, Surprised Bane takes anywhere from 45 minutes to eat one!
Bane
Bane
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 11 2014, 07:58

Bane wrote:
20 mins Liz! Wow, Surprised Bane takes anywhere from 45 minutes to eat one!

He's obviously savouring it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoobster Thu Dec 11 2014, 11:04

Bane wrote:so just be sure to even out the bone:meat ratios with the other meal that day or over the course of the week.

This is an area I'm not too sure about... how do I know how much bone to reduce by in his other meals?

At the moment, if he has a chicken based mince, I know that that contains some bone so I'll just give him a little chicken wing along side it (only one wing a day).

But if it's a beef or lamb based mince which I've been told wont contain any bone, then I'll give hime a couple of wings that day.

I'm not really going by any exact science but just by what feels right.

So, if I gave Scoob a pigs trotter which is mainly bone but quite a decent meal at the same time, how would I know how much meat to give him in his other meal that day?

It's 10% bone I'm aiming for right? 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% offal.

Cheers Smile
Scoobster
Scoobster

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Thu Dec 11 2014, 11:48

I don't stick religiously to percentages as for me it makes it difficult to manage easiest way is poop watch. Too runny up the bone/reduce offal and too dry reduce bone/increase offal

I kinda go with what is practical, bones, offal/tripe or salmon portions he only has at home, parents are a bit unsure still on the whole raw thing so it's just a portion of mince for each meal he has there and if the dog walker is in over tea time I have the chicken mince stuffed hooves as she can give them frozen after their walk and it keeps busy when she settles him

It all seems to mix up quite well
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoobster Thu Dec 11 2014, 12:15

jshrew wrote:I don't stick religiously to percentages as for me it makes it difficult to manage easiest way is poop watch. Too runny up the bone/reduce offal and too dry reduce bone/increase offal

I kinda go with what is practical, bones, offal/tripe or salmon portions he only has at home, parents are a bit unsure still on the whole raw thing so it's just a portion of mince for each meal he has there and if the dog walker is in over tea time I have the chicken mince stuffed hooves as she can give them frozen after their walk and it keeps busy when she settles him

It all seems to mix up quite well

Poop watch is pretty much how I've been handling it - thanks for clearing up what to do based on what comes out though, as I wasn't too sure what to add or take away in that sense.

I'm keen to know more about the stuffed hoof as it would be nice to give him something that lasts more than 30 seconds haha

Does the hoof class as bone? Can he eat the whole hoof?
Scoobster
Scoobster

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Fri Dec 12 2014, 21:01

As I said in other posts you become a bit obsessed by watching what comes out the other end Laughing We don't stick to it religiously either, but say if we fed a trotter for dinner we would give him an all meat meal for breakfast.
We just try to even it out. All the minces we buy have a rough 15-20% bone content according to DAF so they are pretty straight forward to feed. And when we give him something boney like a wing or a fish, we try to balance it with a little chunk of just meat, or a pigs ear or something.

We've tried a hoof before and Bane didn't really get too far with it. We stuffed it ourself with a mince and then gave it to him frozen. Once he had eaten the mince it was taking him forever to get through the hoof and it was pretty stinky sick Ended up throwing it out.
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down