Dog biting dog laws

3 posters

Go down

Dog biting dog laws Empty Dog biting dog laws

Post by sazz Mon Jun 20 2011, 18:06

I have a very loving and gentle staffy boy who has been brought up by myself and my daughter. I live in a very rural area where many people have their dogs off leads. My boy has never bitten another dog but becomes very aggressive when other dogs come bounding up to him. I cannot trust myself to let him off the lead. Other owners say that there dogs are good and are never aggressive but I have just experienced a giant poodle side up to him, a show of dominance which then lead both dogs into a growling paw fight! I pulled my dog away as he was on the lead. Where do I stand if my dog actually bites another even though he is on a lead and under control?
sazz
sazz
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Dog biting dog laws Empty Re: Dog biting dog laws

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 18:26

sorry im unsure,im lucky in that Woody has never shown any dog aversion tendencies and if the other dog does he just doesnt react. hopefully someone on the forum will be able to advise

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 22:16

If the other dog was the insigator (ie off lead & acting dominantly) and you have done everything possible to avoid any confrontation ( ie asking the owner to take their dog away, trying to distract your dog, trying to walk away) then you should be ok.

My last dog, Bandit, was an angel with people but a demon with dogs. I got into a habit of shouting to people whose dogs were off lead & coming towards him "Take your dog away, please as mine isn't always friendly with other dogs". Then if they ignored me I'd say "Take it away now, or I'll let him off the lead!" By this time he'd probably be snarling or even be in the full throated staffy snappy-snarl mode!

Usually they'd take notice & just give me some filthy looks, but that's ok, I've got a broad back!

Always try to warn people that your dog may not be friendly, then if they ignore you & their dog gets hurt you can say that you tried to tell them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Tue Jun 21 2011, 14:53

In the eyes of the law your dog is on the lead and therefore controlled, an off-lead dog is out of control so therefore this dogs owner would be liable. However the law surrounding dog bites and fights with other canines is very sketchy and can be interpreted differently. I would have a look here - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/65/contents
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21 2011, 15:14

I would imagine the laws would vary greatly by county. I always try to let the dogs sniff one anther and if there is any aggression shown I like for them to walk with each other to try to form a bond. That being said some dogs will just not get along and I never let mine off leash unless I'm confident that she and her companion can play nice.

Back to top Go down

Post by johneva Thu Jun 23 2011, 12:06

Generally a good idea to teach your dog to be submisive to other dogs to be honest anyway, only one who should be dominant is the owners, not the dog.

Even more so if you have a dog that can be dog aggressive, better to teach them to be submissive to other dogs always present rear end first so the other dog can have a sniff ect.

Teach your dog there is no need to be dominant as you are the boss you are in control of the situation and you will protect if need be, not the other way around.
johneva
johneva

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly, Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 : 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 36

http://www.lease-hire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Jun 23 2011, 15:31

johneva wrote:Generally a good idea to teach your dog to be submisive to other dogs to be honest anyway, only one who should be dominant is the owners, not the dog.

Even more so if you have a dog that can be dog aggressive, better to teach them to be submissive to other dogs always present rear end first so the other dog can have a sniff ect.

Teach your dog there is no need to be dominant as you are the boss you are in control of the situation and you will protect if need be, not the other way around.

good post applause
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191