Second dog to go with Staffy.

4 posters

Go down

Second dog to go with Staffy. Empty Second dog to go with Staffy.

Post by Docmattic Wed Nov 19 2014, 00:25

Hey Everyone,

Our Male staffy is now about 10 months old (19kg and still looks a little scrawny) and doing really well. We're thinking of getting a second dog, preferably a female. My partner wants another breed other than a staffy. However we are not sure what breed to get. I'm a little concerned that some other breeds will not be able to handle the rough play of the stafford.

My boy loves all other dogs, and is even pretty good with mini poodles and the like when at the dog park, but I can see him accidentally hurting them due him to being so much stronger if left alone with them for too long as he loves to rumble. My fiancee has expressed a lot of interest in a begalier (beagle cross cavalier) -which is supposed to be 40cm at the shoulder and 16kg.

I was just looking to see what other breeds you guys might think are suitable to go with the stafford. I know it does come down to each dogs personality but perhaps some breeds are better than other. For example, I know a pure bred mini poodle or cavalier would not be a wise choice.

Thanks,

Docmattic
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Second dog to go with Staffy. Empty Re: Second dog to go with Staffy.

Post by Rachel33 Wed Nov 19 2014, 07:32

You may not be interested, but why not go to a rescue centre? That way he can meet some dogs of different temperaments and go for a few walks and you may find your perfect match! Don't buy in to these "designer" crossbreeds - a begalier is a mongrel, when it comes down to it, and there are plenty of them at your local rescue.

Age wise, he's fast approaching the teenage phase and you may find that his behaviour changes - training that you have perfected may be forgotten and he may try to test previously un pushed boundaries. 2 years plus may be a better time to get a second, especially a puppy. However, and older rescue that's already trained may be able to slot in with ease.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 19 2014, 09:34

Sensible advice, Rachel (of course!). I am biased towards rescues but there are a couple of other advantages in your situation. Most rescues will let you spend as much time as you need taking a dog a walk with your existing dog, and playing off lead if they have a secure area. It'll give you an idea of how the dogs get on and whether your lad might be too strong.

The other thing is that a good rescue organisation will provide you back up if things do go a little skew, and will also take the dog back if it really doesn't work. If you buy one from Preloved or something, you're stuck.

We've got several lovely dogs in at the moment (RSPCA in Essex) who would love to turn your house upside down playing with a 10 month old staff!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Nov 19 2014, 11:09

I would also go down th rescue route, this way you can have your dog meet as many other dogs as would be necessary and they get to meet with trained staff on hand should any behaviour on either side get out of hand. You will also get a very idea of how your dog will behave around others.

I am not into the designer cross breeds either, as said already so may dogs in rescue why go lining the pockets of the BYB.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Wed Nov 19 2014, 21:12

something of the same build and character as the bully breed pref a bully breed. i'd also go rescue there are some stunning dogs in there. just helped a friend find a staffy cross who is a sweetheart. be warned though, it tugs at your heart strings and if i had the room i would be the proud owner of 4 new dogs.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down