cowboydave
haddy
janey
staffygalkezXX
11 posters

Go down

raw meat!!!??? Empty raw meat!!!???

Post by staffygalkezXX Fri Jun 17 2011, 23:35

most ppl seem 2 b feedin thier dogs raw meat on here, i feel blaydes missin out n im doin it all wrong!
when u say raw meat (i no thisl sound thick) but do u mean u dont cook it at all?? i have tried to give blayde raw chicken bt he jus turnd his nose away to say "im not touching that!!" im thinkin of gettin him some tripe from the buchers & some meaty bones, but i really dont think he'l like them- wilb chuffd if he does tho Big Grin
wot kind of raw meat shud i get him? am i best cookin it abit first? shud he have dried food as well as?
staffygalkezXX
staffygalkezXX
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : blayde
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

raw meat!!!??? Empty Re: raw meat!!!???

Post by janey Fri Jun 17 2011, 23:41

I don't feed raw, it doesn't suit me personally, but is highly reccomended. From what I've learnt on here, the meat shouldn't be cooked. Chicken bones are a no no cause they can splinter and there is no need for biscuits as they will get everything they need from the raw meat/bones! Again I don't feed raw but have learnt a lot from here! Sure you'll get loads of tips x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 18 2011, 08:55

i dont feed raw either. A raw diet is a very good one but dont feel like u have to do it a good quality kibble is just as good x

Back to top Go down

Post by haddy Sat Jun 18 2011, 17:37

i dont feed raw & never had.
personally not for me, so dont feel like your doing it all wrong. If however you do want to go down that route there are plently of threads on the forum that could help you.
haddy
haddy
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mouse
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 18 2011, 17:46

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t1048-raw-food-for-charlie?highlight=Raw+food+for+Charlie

Have a look at this thread, got some great advice from Caryll, our resident 'raw feeding' expert Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 18 2011, 17:47

You're not doing any harm to your dog by not feeding raw, as long as you're feeding a reasonable quality complete food.

Raw feeding, though, is just that - nothing gets cooked at all! The only cooked meat Dempsey has is the occasional tin of sardines.

If you are interested, have a look through these, but remember that raw feeding isn't for everyone & every dog!

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t2170-looking-into-barf

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cowboydave Mon Jun 20 2011, 07:16

staffygalkezXX wrote:most ppl seem 2 b feedin thier dogs raw meat on here, i feel blaydes missin out n im doin it all wrong!
when u say raw meat (i no thisl sound thick) but do u mean u dont cook it at all?? i have tried to give blayde raw chicken bt he jus turnd his nose away to say "im not touching that!!" im thinkin of gettin him some tripe from the buchers & some meaty bones, but i really dont think he'l like them- wilb chuffd if he does tho Big Grin
wot kind of raw meat shud i get him? am i best cookin it abit first? shud he have dried food as well as?

Hey staffygalkez, there is nothing wrong with feeding your dog dry food only as long as it is a good quality one and a complete diet. I feed Stanley raw meat because I choose to not because you have to. Not point cooking the meat for the dog as they are different to us and when you cook anything you lose allot of nutriants in it.

If you would like to try to get them to eat some raw meat I found the best way is to cook some rice (brown is suppose to be better) you can use pasta but it is not as good for them as the rice too much carb's. and then also get yourself a bag of frozen mixed vegies (peas,carrots and corn is what I use) cook them as well but not too much otherwise they loose all their nutriants as well. Then I do a mix up of about 80% meat 20% veg and then you gusessed it 10% rice mix it all together really well and presto food fit for a king or queen. Laughing

PS Sorry forgot to add try starting with some mince meat rather than big chunks of meat, also I recomend using human grade for if it is not good for you then it is not the best for you dog. Some pet meats have allot of chemiclas in them and they can build up in your puppies bellies.

Hope this is some help to you. thumbs up
cowboydave
cowboydave

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Stanley
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by hoochandjake Mon Jun 20 2011, 22:18

hey guys im new top staff breed so ill just give my input and see what people say... when i say im new i mean it my first time owning the breed but been obsessed since i can rememeber

i feed my boys dry food all the time and i kill my dad if he gives them anything else because i notice a seriouse diofference in thier stomach and the eh lets just say poop when he does

but every sat i go to the butcher well almost every sat and i get me some stir fry or chops or mince stuff like that anyway enough about me while im there i askin for stuff for the dogs

when i get home and iths the boys eveing feed i have there meat boiled while im doing my food and they go mental when i bring them out their treat.

ive been training them to sit give methe paw and every sat its bang on best time to train them in my opinion but they do it every other day.. what im hoping is that i cant try something new everytime i have their treat
hoochandjake
hoochandjake
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : hooch jake
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 22:24

My Dempsey gets very little in the way of tid bits, other than some dog treats when I want him to do something he doesn't want to do!

I occasionally let him have some potatoe if it's left on a plate, but otherwise he gets no table scraps. His food consists of meaty bones (as meaty as I can get, although that isn't always as meaty as I'd like!) and raw meat, with the occasional raw egg and tin or sardines. That's all he needs, and to him pieces of raw meat for training are just as yummy as treats!

It's the tid bits & table scraps that can give a dog a bad stomach because they're not used to them!

Last edited by Caryll on Mon Jun 20 2011, 23:37; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Mon Jun 20 2011, 23:34

we switched to raw only because Mambo didn't accept any dry food, however good it was... so it also depends on the dog. on the other hand, Mambo loves to eat anything that's edible Big Grin
spuker1
spuker1
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
raw meat!!!??? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mambo
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2

http://tsphotography.org

Back to top Go down

Post by staffygalkezXX Fri Nov 04 2011, 20:20

hi everyone! sorry iv not replyed for sooo long, had the odd problems. thanku for all your advise. i now feed blayde mince meat, or pet mince mixed with half a tin of butchers. for treats he mainley has bakers meat biscuit things, which i think is better than other treats.
Blayde's growin well now, really filling out- i will post pictures for you all see xx
staffygalkezXX
staffygalkezXX

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Nov 04 2011, 20:24

butcher tin dog food?

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by staffygalkezXX Fri Nov 04 2011, 20:30

yeah, its the only one hes taken to since bein a puppy. others seem to give him an upset stomach aswell
staffygalkezXX
staffygalkezXX

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Nov 04 2011, 20:35

ooo right it's pretty poor dog food

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04 2011, 20:36

It isn't good, but then I'm not a fan of tinned dog food anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by staffygalkezXX Fri Nov 04 2011, 20:45

if i giv him jus meat it doesnt feel like im givin him enough, he won't eat any kind of biscuits mixed in wiv his food either. hes a really fussy eater. what do you think of butcher in foils, they seem to be more meaty than the tins, which he gets aswell
staffygalkezXX
staffygalkezXX

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04 2011, 20:50

When feeding a raw diet the amount they get does look really small, but they don't need to eat as much as they use almost everything in the food. But yes butchers tinned food isn't very good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04 2011, 20:58

staffygalkezXX wrote:if i giv him jus meat it doesnt feel like im givin him enough, he won't eat any kind of biscuits mixed in wiv his food either. hes a really fussy eater. what do you think of butcher in foils, they seem to be more meaty than the tins, which he gets aswell

Dempsey gets no biscuit mixers at all. Just raw meat & bones. He eats a large piece of lamb spine or neck a day, plus about 300grams of raw meat (it was 450g, but he's on a diet!), and that's plenty.

You'll find that you need to feed far more tinned food than you do raw or dry food. Most of it's water & fillers.

I have to say I've never tried the foils.

Back to top Go down

Post by rascal-girl Sun Nov 06 2011, 05:40

Rascal's been raw fed since 7 weeks of age and we're thoroughly sold on the Raw feeding thing Big Grin She gets beef hearts, chicken (whole and quartered), chicken livers, beef liver, beef/lamb/chicken kidneys - the only bone she gets at the moment is in the chicken. The ratio works out to about 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% offal of which 5% is liver. She's thriving and has the most gorgeous teeth. It's really satisfying watching her rip into her food - gives her a work out, works her brain as she figures out how to eat the food and I know she's getting natural, healthy species appropriate food. That's just what we do - if you feel you can, I'd encourage anyone to give it a go! We don't do Raw Meaty Bones or BARF, we do Whole Prey model.
rascal-girl
rascal-girl

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rascal
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by rascal-girl Sun Nov 06 2011, 05:41

Oh, she gets a couple of eggs a week and fish oil capsules as well Big Grin
rascal-girl
rascal-girl

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sun Nov 06 2011, 08:54

I'm not as anti-tinned as the others here. You might have very different content in your tinned foods, but what's available here I've yet to see any tinned food that's worse than good quality kibble. It's usually much more meat in the tinned food, which is great! It's also already got water in it, which is usually a good thing. Most dogs don't regulate their water intake well enough when it's not mostly in their food. They need a certain water content with their food to digest it properly, so if they're not fed a wet food (tinned or raw or even "kibble soup") it's likely to not digest as well as it could. So I'd certainly rank tinned above kibble (until someone can show me the label of a tinned food that's lower quality than kibble).

HOWEVER - I'd certainly add more meat rather than tinned food since you're already feeding raw. They don't need anything cooked, and certainly nothing dry like bisquits. Gummi probably eats around 200 g per day, it doesn't look like much. But with a few nice bones to chew it feels like much more!
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Sun Nov 06 2011, 09:43

Once a month Jack will get some raw mince meat or a raw chicken neck to nibble on as a treat.
Dan
Dan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Jack - Max
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years - 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male - Male
Support total : 107

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06 2011, 10:39

Aniemother wrote:I'm not as anti-tinned as the others here.

For me, it isn't just the content, it's the texture! It doesn't do any good for their teeth. Too soft & sometimes quite sloppy - it can leave a terrible brown stain on the teeth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06 2011, 13:24

I feed a mix of tinned and kibble, mixed in. I don't feed raw, 1 because im a veggie the sight of meat makes me sick anyway, and 2, i knew a dog fed on raw that attacked and killed and ate anything that came near it. Cats, dogs, sheep and even had my boss by the throat. Shes a 5ft 2 portly woman and this dog was easily 6ft. For some reason the man that owned it thought this was perfectly normal behaviour for a dog, didnt even care when it killed and ate his new puppy, a female he had got to breed him with.

totally mental.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06 2011, 14:26

Equi wrote:I feed a mix of tinned and kibble, mixed in. I don't feed raw, 1 because im a veggie the sight of meat makes me sick anyway, and 2, i knew a dog fed on raw that attacked and killed and ate anything that came near it. Cats, dogs, sheep and even had my boss by the throat. Shes a 5ft 2 portly woman and this dog was easily 6ft. For some reason the man that owned it thought this was perfectly normal behaviour for a dog, didnt even care when it killed and ate his new puppy, a female he had got to breed him with.

totally mental.

I'm a veggie as well, but my dog isn't! Big Grin I accept that & put myself out for his sake.

And feeding raw won't alter a dog's character in any way at all - it certainly won't turn it into a killer Rolling Eyes . That dog must've had that character anyway, and would have killed no matter what it was fed. It just had a strong predator instinct.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06 2011, 15:45

Caryll wrote:
Equi wrote:I feed a mix of tinned and kibble, mixed in. I don't feed raw, 1 because im a veggie the sight of meat makes me sick anyway, and 2, i knew a dog fed on raw that attacked and killed and ate anything that came near it. Cats, dogs, sheep and even had my boss by the throat. Shes a 5ft 2 portly woman and this dog was easily 6ft. For some reason the man that owned it thought this was perfectly normal behaviour for a dog, didnt even care when it killed and ate his new puppy, a female he had got to breed him with.

totally mental.

I'm a veggie as well, but my dog isn't! Big Grin I accept that & put myself out for his sake.

And feeding raw won't alter a dog's character in any way at all - it certainly won't turn it into a killer Rolling Eyes . That dog must've had that character anyway, and would have killed no matter what it was fed. It just had a strong predator instinct.

Totally agree with Caryll, both mine are fed raw and there has been no change in their character what so ever, it's a common myth that raw changes their personality.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06 2011, 19:52

grr just wrote a long post and it didnt send.

basically i said absolutely dont think raw would change their personalities, the man was a complete and utter douche, but my dogs have killed a few cats and rabbits but never ate them. i cant imagine finding a new puppy thats been eatin by your other dog...it would be horrifying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06 2011, 21:41

Equi wrote: but my dogs have killed a few cats and rabbits but never ate them.

Same here, Dempsey's caught a squirrel & a rat or two, but never eaten them, and he's fed raw!

A dog is born with one or more of the following predator instincts...
1. Stalk
2. Chase
3. Catch
4. Kill
5. Eat

Most dogs only have 2 or 3 of those, but they wouldn't be affected by what food they eat, it's just something they're born with.

Back to top Go down

Post by rascal-girl Sun Nov 06 2011, 22:43

What Caryll said....
rascal-girl
rascal-girl

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07 2011, 01:26

I don't feed raw. I feed a high quality kibble. I know there are many benefits to a raw diet, but I, personally, could never do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07 2011, 13:10

No, it isn't for everybody.

Back to top Go down

Post by staffygalkezXX Tue Nov 08 2011, 22:38

thanku for all your advice every1. its nice to have advice because blayde is my 1st dog (well iv had them as a kid, but 1st one to b my responsability). iv decided im not goin to get him tinned dog food anymore(which will b a relief for him cuz he's not that keen). but i am goin to giv him the foiled butchers cuz they look like theyv got alit of meat in and the veg looks how it shud do, im goin to mix mince beef or pet mince with it. i have to cook the mince because he won't touch raw.
i occationaly giv him bones from the butchers but they giv him constapation, so i limit them and he can b abit of a greedy buga so i worry sometimes incase he chokes lol Smile
staffygalkezXX
staffygalkezXX

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 09 2011, 11:21

I large marrow bone will probably give him constipation, whereas a smaller spine/rib section wouldn't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Nov 09 2011, 17:04

commercial foods are made to look pleasant to humans, the dog doesn't really care about how his food looks, mroe about the texture, taste and smell. Remember the pet food companies are out to make money and sometimes the ingredients they use are very low grade and not very good for our dogs.

I personally feed raw and do not believe that it can contribute towards and animal's hunting instinct. The said dog must have been quite dangerous, sounds like the owner did nothing to curb it's dangerous behaviours either. When the owner doesn't care that his dog killed his new puppy then you can't expect him to really give a damn about stopping the dog biting people?! I expect he encouraged it's behaviour and was probably feeding it raw to try and make it even meaner!
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com