Lollapop85
Rachel33
Mia05
Sophieb908
janey
Sazzle
10 posters

Go down

Bit freaked out - my dog just went mental Empty Bit freaked out - my dog just went mental

Post by Lollapop85 Mon Sep 29 2014, 20:29

So, we got our boy from Battersea about 5 weeks ago - not a long time I know. Anyways, he has been an absolute dream, non aggressive and very loving. The only times we have seen anything at all has been when other dogs have been over friendly and he's growled, then the other dog has had a go, but Haggis has never instigated anything.

Now he's settled we decided to get a walker, so that if we need to we have some support. This guy comes recommended so he came round this evening to meet Haggis.

As soon as he came in the door Haggis properly went for him, growling, barking and tried to bite him. I restrained him and the guy came through to meet my husband. I was still holding Haggis by his collar and he went for the guy again, managed to bite him. We got him into the kitchen which is gated and my husband stayed in there with him on one side of the gate and the guy and me on the other. We chatted and Haggis was ok - he seemed very alert but wasn't growling or anything. Then when I went to see the guy out, he started growling and barking again.

The thing is, we've had friends round and he's been fine, lovely and friendly. We've had men, women and teenagers come round and he's been fine. Now I'm a bit freaked out and to be honest a little scared of what I've just seem? Some advice would be massively appreciated!!

Lollapop85
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Bit freaked out - my dog just went mental Empty Re: Bit freaked out - my dog just went mental

Post by Sazzle Mon Sep 29 2014, 20:39

That does sound strange, were you nervous about the guy coming round? Something he might have picked up on? Was the way you brought him in different to when your friends come around?

Welcome to the forum by the way, Come and say hi here when you get chance Smile

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Bit freaked out - my dog just went mental Empty Re: Bit freaked out - my dog just went mental

Post by Lollapop85 Mon Sep 29 2014, 21:06

Yeah we keep thinking about it and I guess it's quite dark in the hallway and when friends have come round we have come in with them. Also, we didn't know him either so it's not the same. I guess it's just freaked us out, maybe we got complacent as he's been so well behaved since we got him Sad

And hello Smile hopefully I'll have nicer post next time!

Lollapop85

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon Sep 29 2014, 21:10

Try not to let it worry you when other people come over because he will sense your nerves x
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Sep 29 2014, 21:16

Hay early days, I honestly wouldn't worry. Maybe meeting the walker outside the house would help Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sophieb908 Mon Sep 29 2014, 21:35

love the name haggis!
Sophieb908
Sophieb908
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Pedro
Dog(s) Ages : 14 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Mon Sep 29 2014, 22:47

Maybe next time this person visits go and meet him and come together into the house

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Bit freaked out - my dog just went mental B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Mon Sep 29 2014, 23:06

Love the name Haggis and Hi from another Battersea rescuer.

I would imagine that he's just about settled in to his new surroundings and then this strange guy comes in. I have little doubt that he picked up on vibes that this new person was all to do with him.

I really wouldn't worry too much, it's very early days and he will settle in to your routine and will become more accepting to new things/people as time goes on. We certainly had to wait for things to settle when our Flo adopted us.

Bit freaked out - my dog just went mental B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Lollapop85 Tue Sep 30 2014, 22:42

So just an update - my husband went out tonight and Haggis seemed quite unhappy, unsettled after he left. Eventually we both fell asleep on the sofa, cuddled up and both completely sparko. My husband came in - we left all the lights on this time - but neither of us woke, then he came into the living room and quietly said 'hello'. Haggis woke up,
Jumped off the sofa and went for my husband, growling and bit his foot. Then he realised who it was and instantly calmed down.

I have no idea why he's so freaked out and now we are both really worried. I've been in tears because we can't have him being aggressive like that. My husband is talking about him going back to Battersea and that's the last thing I want.

Any advice?

Lollapop85

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Sep 30 2014, 22:45

Do you know anything about his history?
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Tue Sep 30 2014, 22:50

Sounds to me as though Haggis is still unsettled. Without knowing any background there is no way of knowing why he might have reacted like this.

I think you need to treat him with kid gloves and not startle him or wake him with a start, he still needs time to adjust to his new surroundings. Was it a full on aggressive bite or more of a warning snarl type thing. It's easy to be frightened by their reaction and read more into it. If it really was aggression then you might need to see a dog behaviourist but give him a chance to settle for a while longer if you can.

We do have a moderator that has a girl that used to be very man aggressive, I'm sure she will be able to add some more when she see's this post.

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lollapop85 Tue Sep 30 2014, 23:08

Full on aggressive - he had to put a chair between him and Haggis.

Lollapop85

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Lollapop85 Tue Sep 30 2014, 23:09

And we don't know anything about his history - he was a stray.

Lollapop85

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Tue Sep 30 2014, 23:24

Oh dear. I can certainly understand your apprehension now. Looking at this from an outsiders point of view, I would think that seeing him stop as soon as he realised who it was is a positive all be it still not a good situation to face.

Don't be too disheartened just yet, wait until our moderator Rachel see's your post. She may well be able to offer some advice and a way forward.

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Wed Oct 01 2014, 00:09

Haggis (awesome name) may well have had bad experiences with certain situations

When I got Ledger from rescue we also had no history, he was very much on edge with large male dogs being walked by male owners in the park and would growl, it is more out of fear as I've learnt, but if they came too close he would also snap at them. He would also jump and hang off the lead when I unclipped it (from the scar across his nose we think he was maybe hit with the clip on a lead previously) also I box and if I wrap my hands and or shadow box in the house Ledger has gone for my arm

In relation to the dog walker not only is it a new person to you and Haggis but hey he's gonna smell like a lot of dogs

Cant be of much help as I guess I was lucky and Ledger relaxed and settled in quite quickly hope it all works out for you all - have you called Battersea to ask for advice?
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Oct 01 2014, 07:55

Please don't wait for him to bite somebody else - this is a serious situation and if he bites the wrong person he could be put to sleep. Totally understand that you have an emotional attachment to him, but this behaviour is out of any non professional's depth. Contact Battersea, they're a big enough organisation they should be able to arrange a behaviourist being sent out to advise you.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Lollapop85 Wed Oct 01 2014, 22:28

Ok another update - not a good one either. Tonight he has gone for both my husband and stepson. He has also cornered my stepson into the kitchen and my husband couldn't get downstairs. We have to take him to Battersea tomorrow - I can't see what else to do.

I'm completely devestated - I've been crying for hours and can't stop looking at him - he's all calm now, curled up in the kitchen and whining to be let out but I can't risk it can I? I'm so so gutted. We have done everything as well as we could and I just don't understand what went wrong but something has changed for him and his aggression has just rocketed.

I just want to go give him a cuddle but even I'm a bit wary now.

Lollapop85

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Wed Oct 01 2014, 23:03

You are right to be wary, sorry to say but I think he has to go back to Battersea
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Wed Oct 01 2014, 23:12

Oh so sorry to hear this. I think you're right in going back to Battersea, something is right with him and maybe they can get to the bottom of it.

You're right, don't chance anything, let them assess him and see from there.

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogface Thu Oct 02 2014, 17:26

Sounds like the walker reminded him of someone who use to mistreat him and he's been on edge ever since. But no, if he's being full-on aggressive you're best taking him back, it's no failure on your part.
Dogface
Dogface
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Support total : 124

Back to top Go down

Post by Lollapop85 Thu Oct 02 2014, 18:55

We took him back, hands down the worst thing I've ever had to do.
I am bereft that our gorgeous boy is gone.

Thank you all for the advice and support, and maybe some day in the future I'll be able to join these pages again.

Lollapop85

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by lovemystaffies Thu Oct 02 2014, 19:09

Such a sad story; what comes to me though is Battersea acting professionally to rehome this poor dog without proper behaviourist consideration ? Surely they must have picked up his reactions ?
lovemystaffies
lovemystaffies

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Max and Madge
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 6
Dog Gender(s) : male female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Lollapop85 Thu Oct 02 2014, 19:24

No, there had been none - he was beautifully well behaved, not an aggressive thing to him until this week. When we went back there today they were all really stunned and upset - as they said, of all the dogs and all the families they would have had us and Haggis down as least likely to not work out. He presented with a beautiful temperament. Loving, loyal, responsive, well behaved. That's why this hurts so much, it's not like we've been struggling for 6 weeks, we've had 5 amazing, lovely weeks with him, and 4 scary horrible days. I am so, so gutted. They were astounded. We took him there and he was back to his usual self - cuddly and happy. Hard to believe it's the same dog.

Sorry if I'm rambling, I just feel so sad and like we just have up on him.

Lollapop85

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by lovemystaffies Thu Oct 02 2014, 19:43

So sorry for you,your family and Haggis; obviously there are no winners here but please don't let this experience inhibit you from trying again; there are so many needy pups looking for your type of home.
lovemystaffies
lovemystaffies

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Max and Madge
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 6
Dog Gender(s) : male female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu Oct 02 2014, 19:47

It must have been so very hard to let him go but you have to put family first. Once the trust is broken it's very hard to get it back.

I hope this hasn't put you of giving another a much needed home in the future. Feel free to stick around and talk as much as you want.

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Oct 02 2014, 19:55

I'm sorry to hear this but I think you did the right thing x
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Thu Oct 02 2014, 21:42

So sorry but given the circumstances it was the right decision for your family - hope you will stick around and chat
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down