stella
Simi
dazoldo
Steve
9 posters

Go down

Ear Docking & Eye tattoo's  Empty Ear Docking & Eye tattoo's

Post by BelleR Wed Jul 16 2014, 09:06

PLEASE don't jump at me for this topic but I really need to know if there is any way I can have it done (if it becomes necessary).

My boys tore into each other good and solid on the weekend and ears got torn on both of them. Luckily no stitches needed this time around. They only 3 months and I know future fights will be worse.

We are fixing them next month and they going to puppy (social) classes in the hopes to curb aggression. I know they just pups and being male siblings they will assert dominance but I am really scared they tears the ears badly in future fights.

What else can I do? If there is no other option going forward can a vet sign off that its needed? Its illegal here and for good reason, but surely there are exceptions?

Moo is a white puppy and seems to be having issues with the sun. How do they do the eye tattoo'? Also having very white (pink) ears and the higher risk of cancer, can his ears be docked on that basis as well as the fear of tearing in fights?

Zeva and Zulu (mom and dad) are not docked as it doesn't seem to be an issue, maybe just try stick it out and hope for the best?
BelleR
BelleR
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Zeva & Zulu & Zeus & Zoro
Dog(s) Ages : 4 Years / 1 Year / 3 days
Dog Gender(s) : Zeva female, Zulu male, Zues & Zoro male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Ear Docking & Eye tattoo's  Empty Re: Ear Docking & Eye tattoo's

Post by Steve Wed Jul 16 2014, 13:34

i'm not sure you be better off asking vets

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BelleR Wed Jul 16 2014, 13:41

I have but I want other fur pets moms and dads opinions as well. Vets will make money from it and usually just agree, I want other options if possible.
BelleR
BelleR

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16 2014, 14:07

As far as the white staffy goes, a children's scent-free, alcohol-free suncream works really well.

Back to top Go down

Post by dazoldo Wed Jul 16 2014, 14:47

i don't think any vet will dock ears for any reason and i wouldn't want my dog to look like a fighting dog anyway.
just try training them properly.

dazoldo
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : tessa
Dog(s) Ages : around 4 we think
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Simi Wed Jul 16 2014, 16:14

I`m personally against any sort of docking unless its for health reason. As someone has already said suncream will stop any problems from the sun. also make sure they both have some where in the shade to lie.
To stop fighting it will have to be training and maybe not leaving them alone when you are not there to step in when it gets out of hand
Simi
Simi

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Tallulah
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Wed Jul 16 2014, 19:18

have to say i too hate the idea of them both,you should always keep them apart when your not at home and hopefully given time and training they will be mates.
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by peppa Wed Jul 16 2014, 19:20

Peppa is mostly white and I use sun screen . If I docked her ears she would look like a proper apbt but its illegal here as well so why would you do it to them? I've never heard of eye tattos.
And you might have dominance problem with two males sibling I'm no expert but the only thing that can help is training not ear docking.
peppa
peppa

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : peppa
Dog(s) Ages : 28/10/13
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Jul 16 2014, 21:11

Personally, rather than chopping parts of their anatomy off to prevent severe injury when they fight, I would rehome one of them as male sibling fights will more than likely continue on a regular basis, and will be much worse in a fully grown adult bull breed.

Neutering them at 4 months old is an awful idea, and won't help with the fighting, only stunt their emotional/hormonal/physical growth.

I'd never keep two litter mates personally, it's just a bad idea all around, and I don't know a single behaviourist that would recommend it either.

Sorry to be blunt, know it's a tough decision.

Don't know anything about eye tattoos?!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16 2014, 21:20

Keep them apart when you aren't there and crate them when you are out. I'm unsure what you mean by eye tattoo  biggrin 

Back to top Go down

Post by peppa Wed Jul 16 2014, 22:52

Oh and please wait with neutering them as 4 months is far too early age as they need their hormones for normal development and it won't stop them fighting it might cause more behavioural issues.
Please reconsider rehoming at least one of them when he's still young I know it's hard but might be the best solution and prevent trouble .
peppa
peppa

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : peppa
Dog(s) Ages : 28/10/13
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by BelleR Thu Jul 17 2014, 06:10

I have one yard for now (construction happening), I cant separate them from each other or their mother and I cant have her fixed, she didn't react well to anesthetic and its too dangerous for her to be fixed. She is going into heat in Oct, I will hold off as long as I can, but I wont have another litter, especially not from mother & son. Due to the negligence of a 3rd party, she was covered once, I wont allow that to happen again.

I REALLY don't like the idea at all about the docking, I would hate to do it but for health and safety I do have consider it as a last resort. That's why I came here, you all staffy/pitty lovers and know your animals better than any vet can and your opinions/suggestions really mean a lot to me.

There has been no more fighting at all so that's good. They are not alone (someone is always home) and hopefully if they start up again it can be stopped quickly. Puppy classes are going well, they not aggressive towards any other animal/small child/strangers, even my cats get love and kisses from all my dogs. Lets hope this is enough to keep them from going at each other again.

Sunscreen is working for now, I just want options if it doesn't. As for the shade, they have plenty but Moo WILL lie in the full sun no matter what. So my dog, sun lover!

Please know that I love all my animals as much as I do my own kids. I chose to adopt and love them every day of their lives and would never consider anything to harm/hurt them unless it was to help/save them from something worse. I have not even pierced my daughters ears! I think its cruel and her own decision to make.

Thank you again for your comments and I honestly appreciate them all.
I will not re-home one of my boys unless I see there is no other choice. They are part of my family. I do have a home lined up for one of them should we see that its needed, regardless of his age with a close family friend.
BelleR
BelleR

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by peardrop Thu Jul 17 2014, 10:16

Hi, I had two males before, father and son they got on fine 99% of the time especially when left alone but we did have fights once or twice a year, after it was stopped they would lick each others wounds and be best of buddies, nothing will stop the possiblity of two males fighting especially when they are related.
I would not keep two males again unless i had a proper setup where both males could be house apart and only meet when undercontrol, its to distressing to see them fight, often for no reason.
Getting there ears cut will not stop the fighting and it might make the injuries suffered worst because of instead of biting an ear they would bite elsewhere and could cause more damage, ears heal well and are easy to access for treatment.
I woud try to rehome one of your pups and find another female friend for the remaining boy if you are set on the pair growing up together.
peardrop
peardrop
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : cookie, crumble, makka, alabama
Dog(s) Ages : 10, 3, 16months and 4 months
Dog Gender(s) : female, female, male, female
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Thu Jul 17 2014, 10:43

you're worried about ear ripping so you want to take the ears off...what about leg/throat/muzzle/chest ripping? You need to work on their behaviour so they don't fight, If you can't protect these dogs from each other, you should remove one of them, dog sun cream will work on your white dog no need to remove the ears for that either, it'll also help protect her nose (can't remove that)
neutering doesn't stunt anything but no decent vet would do it under 6 months old and it is important for animals to mature sexually and physically befor having any kind of surgery unless its life or death.
There are jabs to prevent pregnancy ask your vet, whether the boys are neutered or not, for months after surgery they can still have sperm in their tubes and still get your bitch/their mum, pregnant so something has to be arrange there whether someone looks after her or the boys, or you speak to your vets about using different type of anaesthesia for your bitch if she had a reaction to one kind she might not another kind.

Amelie

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by BelleR Thu Jul 17 2014, 10:49

I will go see my vet about the contraception, that's very new to me! You would think the vet would suggest that over fixing the boys when I asked him. That's why I asked here, you guys have so many options and suggestions.
BelleR
BelleR

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by BelleR Thu Jul 17 2014, 10:50

We are changing our yard into 2 sections so we can keep them apart. I looked for 4 years for my red female. I wont just find another one that easy the same age mine now.
BelleR
BelleR

Status Status :

Back to top Go down