DUke was a little bit stiff last night

3 posters

Go down

DUke was a little bit stiff last night Empty DUke was a little bit stiff last night

Post by Ernestine Wed Jun 08 2011, 08:14

When I got home from work last night, Lliam was just returning home from walking Duke at the park. Of course he was super excited, tail wagging everywhere Smile Driving up our road, I'd noticed a guy walking his tan staffie, so I thought we'd wait outside till he got close, to see if we we could introduce the 2. He has a gorgeous little girl called Bella, and he very considerately put her back on lead as he saw Duke, who was also on lead. ( I did think that was ratehr polite Wink ) So we had a lovely chat on our front lawn, and Duke couldn't stop wagging his tail and doing his version of what he thinks is barking... oh my word it was so funny! Bella has a nice deep bark, as a dog should, I suppose, and Duke was going nuts with his odd squeaky seal impression!

Anyway, after they left to continue their walk, we went inside and Duke was still so excited we went to to go play in the back garden. He raced around a bit, and jumped up against us, but he was actually getting some air between his back legs and the ground! Now you have to understand, it takes a lot for Duke to jump in the 1st place, so this was quite an achievement. He did it about 5 times, and then eventually ran out of steam about 10 minutes later and settled down. Later on in the evening, I noticed he was limping a bit on either his right front or back leg. It looks to be his front, but his back would make more sense, as that's the one he's a bit unsteady on. It tends to "slip" inwards a little when he standing still on a wooden or tiled floor. So I felt both legs quite gently but firmly, and he didn't pull away or wince or show any sign of pain when I did. There were no thorns or anything in his paws either. Do you think he was just stiff from all his extra exertions? He was still limping a little this morning, but it didn't seem to worry him.

Sorry for the very long post, I got a bit carried away! Smile
Ernestine
Ernestine
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

DUke was a little bit stiff last night Empty Re: DUke was a little bit stiff last night

Post by janey Wed Jun 08 2011, 09:16

I'd say he has just overdone it slightly, but with his heart murmour and health just keep an extra eye on him, Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

DUke was a little bit stiff last night Empty Re: DUke was a little bit stiff last night

Post by Nosipho Wed Jun 08 2011, 10:56

Sounds like an old injury or a bit of arthiritis. My older girl skibadee sometimes gets a bit stiff on one of her front legs since her daughter ran full-pelt into it about 6 months ago. Its usually fine when she finished exercising but can get stiff after she has rested for a while. I have started to give them cod liver oil and glucosamine once a day and 'touch wood' I havn't noticed her joint being stiff for the last couple of weeks.

Maybe something you would want to try with Duke as hes an older gentleman! However you say hes still overweight and baring in mind the cod liver oil is really fatty you might need to give him a tiyn bit less food!
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ernestine Sat Jun 11 2011, 15:23

Just thought I'd let you all know Duke's fine again Smile Thanks so much for all the advice and support!
Ernestine
Ernestine

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down