Stiff Legs

5 posters

Go down

Stiff Legs Empty Stiff Legs

Post by jo garnett Sat Jun 15 2013, 08:27

Lola is 18 months old now.  When she's had a really long run she's stiff when she comes down the stairs the following morning.  Yesterday we went to the forest and the pair of them just ran around together in and out of the stream for about 2 hours like lunatics and this morning she struggled coming down the stairs.  Just wondering whether I shouldn't take them to the beach this afternoon.  Is it possible to let them have too much running around?
jo garnett
jo garnett
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Lola and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : both 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both female
Support total : 86

Back to top Go down

Stiff Legs Empty Re: Stiff Legs

Post by Guest Sat Jun 15 2013, 08:45

certainly can be over exercised and they have a high tolerance to pain and also not knowing when to stop. Does she recover quickly from the stiffness ?? It maybe best just to limit the exercise a little more and see if she improves . Maybe its just morning stiffness not related to the previous day ??
If you are really concerned about it though then get her checked out by the vet Smile

Tilly is always a little slow in the mornings at the start as if she is stiff , comes downstairs with both her back legs together and lots of stretching and then you watch her go into the garden and she switches to rocket mode like a little con artist

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Sat Jun 15 2013, 08:53

Thanks Dave - yes both back legs together like Tilly! I'm wondering now whether it is just morning stiffness as you said and not related to the previous day's running.
jo garnett
jo garnett

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 15 2013, 08:54

jo garnett wrote:Thanks Dave - yes both back legs together like Tilly!  I'm wondering now whether it is just morning stiffness as you said and not related to the previous day's running.  

How long is she like this for though ?? as I say with Tilly it is literally as long as it takes to walk down to the bottom of the stairs

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Sat Jun 15 2013, 09:16

It's just until she's been out in the garden and has stretched a few times. She sleeps curled up in a little ball so maybe that's why - Chloe sleeps straight out with her paws stuck in my back! It's very hard to limit their running but will keep it to an hour today and see if she's less stiff tomorrow morning.
jo garnett
jo garnett

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 15 2013, 09:17

jo garnett wrote:It's just until she's been out in the garden and has stretched a few times.  She sleeps curled up in a little ball so maybe that's why - Chloe sleeps straight out with her paws stuck in my back!  It's very hard to limit their running but will keep it to an hour today and see if she's less stiff tomorrow morning.

It's all you can do really and just monitor but as before , if in doubt go to the vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Sat Jun 15 2013, 11:25

jo garnett wrote:Thanks Dave - yes both back legs together like Tilly!  I'm wondering now whether it is just morning stiffness as you said and not related to the previous day's running.  

Maxi does the same thing when waking up so could be just morning stiffness, maybe monitor if is seems worse on the days you have had heavier exercise the day before?

Sorry, just saw that this has already been suggested! Smile
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Stiff Legs Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 15 2013, 11:53

It could be that she's just not used to the extra exercise & she feels a bit sor & stiff the next day?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 15 2013, 15:47

Caryll wrote:It could be that she's just not used to the extra exercise & she feels a bit sor & stiff the next day?

good point Caryll Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Sat Jun 15 2013, 21:28

I've watched them both closely today while on the beach. Chloe has always been able to jump (like about 5 feet in the air from a standing position) while Lola has never been able to jump (just makes it onto our bed but stands back and takes a run at it). When they're running for a ball, Chloe is faster. Lola looks like a missile but Chloe is just a blur. Chloe is a very big muscular girl (18kg) while Lola is quite dainty (16.5kg). They're both tired tonight but I think Lola is going that little bit further by trying to keep up with her 5 month younger 'sister'. She's snoring her head off on my pillow now so I'll leave her there til morning and see if she looks stiff coming down the stairs. I think we've maybe overrun them - so easy to do when they just want the ball throwing 'one more time'.
jo garnett
jo garnett

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Sat Jun 15 2013, 21:34

Might be worth putting on a good joint supplement. I use riaflex joint daily plus and devils alternative.

rescuestaffords
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Stiff Legs Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sat Jun 15 2013, 22:18

sounds like a normal reaction to intense excersise. they are just like us and will get the aches and pains just like we do when you have alot of sudden excersise. just think how you would feel tomorrow if you ran 10 miles tonight, pretty bloody stiff lol.
basic anatomy is exactly the same for any animal including us, a warm up before and warm down after could well help.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Jun 15 2013, 23:47

I notice Daisy is more tired after spending time at my mums because she's on the go all day, running around with mums dogs!!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down