My dog is showing teeth towards the new puppy :(

+2
-Ian-
lukeyd123
6 posters

Go down

My dog is showing teeth towards the new puppy :( Empty My dog is showing teeth towards the new puppy :(

Post by lukeyd123 Wed Jun 18 2014, 23:06

Hello there,

Ive just got a 9 week old female Staffordshire Bull Terrier (cutest little thing ever, so playful) I also have a 2 and a half year old male Staffy whos so gentle, 1st day went great both playing together and sharing nicely Smile
2nd day, great untill i took my older staffy for a walk/run about, he came back knackered! Female puppy tried to play with him and he gently did a snap at her, no teeth showing but i intervened before she backed off and told him this this is naughty. ((Should i have done this???))
3rd day (today) Playing great all day, went upto my parents where they played with balls, he was teasing the puppy so she would chase him which she happily did lol. But after a while he just laid down chewing the ball and the female puppy came upto him to take the ball and he really showed his teeth! Sad I straight away shouted at him and the female puppy ran to my parent for comfort crying and shaking.

Should i intervene when he is warning her, im scared he will hurt her? I just want them to be bestfriends for life. Advice all welcome Smile

Thanks alot Emma and Luke xx
lukeyd123
lukeyd123
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Tango and Roxy
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years and 9 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Femaile
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

My dog is showing teeth towards the new puppy :( Empty Re: My dog is showing teeth towards the new puppy :(

Post by -Ian- Wed Jun 18 2014, 23:15

Sometimes you have to trust them. If your older one isn't showing real aggression just warnings then I would let things be. I'm not sure telling the older one off is perhaps the right thing as this could endorse negative behaviour.

When the pup over steps the mark, remove her. This will give a breather to both and not send negative messages to your older one. The pup will learn the boundaries.

Your eldest is just teaching the pup how to behave, as long as there is no real aggression then it's just a learning curve. Do you feel it's really aggressive ?

Keep a close eye on their play, you've already seen when your fella wants peace so you know what to look out for  Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

My dog is showing teeth towards the new puppy :( B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

My dog is showing teeth towards the new puppy :( Empty Re: My dog is showing teeth towards the new puppy :(

Post by lukeyd123 Wed Jun 18 2014, 23:28

Thankyou for your reply Smile Exactly what i wanted to hear, glad hes just warning her and no deffinitely not aggressive, was just like a back off leave me alone. Will watch out on playtime and tell puppy to back off when i see male looks like hes had enough. Thanks Ian! Smile
lukeyd123
lukeyd123

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Tango and Roxy
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years and 9 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Femaile
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Wed Jun 18 2014, 23:34

Sounds like your on top of things, just trust your instincts and prevent anything that looks to be escalating  Smile 

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

My dog is showing teeth towards the new puppy :( B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn&Pete Thu Jun 19 2014, 08:03

It does sound like he's teaching her boundaries and how to play but keep an eye on them but also let him know you're watching. We introduced our pup to a trusted patterdale and it was as if he was checking with me how far he could go!
I would watch out for toy jealously, that can escalate.
Pete
Lynn&Pete
Lynn&Pete
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Boson
Dog(s) Ages : May 2017
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 262

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Jun 19 2014, 08:21

Sounds like he's just telling her he's had enough. Personally I wouldn't tell him off for growling at her. Growling is a natural way for a dog to communicate he's unhappy, he can't tell her any other way. I wouldn't tell him off for warning her with a growl because the next step is a bite. If he's told he can't growl he may just bite with no warning which is not what you want. So if he growls don't reprimand him but do remove the puppy and let him have his space. Your pup will learn her boundaries but you must let him teach her it's all very natural and normal Big Grin
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Jun 19 2014, 08:24

Also as said above be careful with treating make sure they both get a treat at the same time, don't leave toys hanging around on the floor as this can cause fights and bones or chews shouldn't be left around supervision is key.
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Thu Jun 19 2014, 12:35

-Ian- wrote:Sometimes you have to trust them. If your older one isn't showing real aggression just warnings then I would let things be. I'm not sure telling the older one off is perhaps the right thing as this could endorse negative behaviour.

When the pup over steps the mark, remove her. This will give a breather to both and not send negative messages to your older one. The pup will learn the boundaries.

Your eldest is just teaching the pup how to behave, as long as there is no real aggression then it's just a learning curve. Do you feel it's really aggressive ?

Keep a close eye on their play, you've already seen when your fella wants peace so you know what to look out for  Smile

I agree. Suki would get told off all the time when she was a pup. We always just removed her from the situation and then after awhile let her interact again. The older dog will teach the pup what is acceptable and what isn't. Just be sure to supervise, learn about body language, and try not to stress out because they will pick up on it.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Jun 19 2014, 12:55

I have never had two dogs together so cannot really advize rather than do what you are doing and step in when need be. I'm sure he will let her know when he has had enough of playing.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down