silver
markrobo
JStaff
michellemartin
fay_elizabeth
Krs1
10 posters

Go down

Whimpering in his crate....what to do? Empty Whimpering in his crate....what to do?

Post by Krs1 Tue Apr 22 2014, 11:43

Wilbert has been with us for 4 days now, I have tried to use the crate but his whimpering is unbearable, mainly because I am soft lol.

I am trying to get him to sleep or relax in his crate but he starts to cry, should I be persistent and just ignore him while he is in there?

Any other tactics to use for him to get used to his crate? He has toys in there but all he wants to do is play with me. He is 8 weeks old at the moment.

Krs1
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Whimpering in his crate....what to do? Empty Re: Whimpering in his crate....what to do?

Post by fay_elizabeth Tue Apr 22 2014, 11:45

Keep at it! It sometimes takes weeks for puppies to get used to sleeping alone in their crates. Always ignore any crying or whimpering or else they'll think its working!
fay_elizabeth
fay_elizabeth
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Prudence
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 21

Back to top Go down

Whimpering in his crate....what to do? Empty Re: Whimpering in his crate....what to do?

Post by michellemartin Tue Apr 22 2014, 11:53

I know it's really difficult but I would say to just ignore it.. He needs to learn that night time is for sleeping - for you and him! It's hard at first but he will soon get used to it and sleep through without a peep. If you start going down to him he'll learn that crying gets your attention and he'll do it all the time. Stick with it, it'll be worth it in the end Smile xx
michellemartin
michellemartin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Krs1 Tue Apr 22 2014, 11:58

Thanks!

The problem is he is just so adorable! Lol

But will stick with it. I do need my 'me time'

Krs1

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by michellemartin Tue Apr 22 2014, 11:59

It's heartbreaking I can remember it all too well! You're doing the right thing though he'll soon learn Smile xx
michellemartin
michellemartin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Tue Apr 22 2014, 12:18

An article of clothing with your scent in it, a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel to simulate body heat but test the tempature before putting in crate to ensure it's not going to burn him, a ticking clock outside the crate, and a blanket that covers the crate and makes it extra dark.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 22 2014, 12:24

I put a pair of pj bottoms in Darcy's crate that I'd worn for a few hours so Darcy didn't miss me, I also put a ticking clock underneath the bed in there too, to sound like a beating heart near by and of course a teddy bear too which is still in there 20 months later xx

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Tue Apr 22 2014, 19:24

I no its hard I remember them times with beau but you just have to ignore them put an old jumper or something with your sent on a warm water bottle and a ticking clock that should sort it out will take at least one week but you will sort it believe me
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : beau
Dog(s) Ages : 12 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 99

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Wed Apr 23 2014, 08:47

I found leaving the radio on helps too Smile
silver
silver
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Toots
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Support total : 103

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Wed Apr 23 2014, 09:31

Can't really add more to what everyone else has said but is it a wire crate where he can see everything or a travel enclosed type?

I've got both kinds downstairs after as I wanted to get our boy used to the smaller travel one for his flight to Europe in a few months and he actually spends most of his time hanging out and sleeping in there. He never would do that with his wire one and we think that the enclosed crate just feels more safe/secure for him. He was in there when I was ready for bed last night so just locked the door and didn't here a sound from him all night. He's actually in there now sleeping and snoring his head off now.

Maybe try covering it if it is a wire open kind and see if that helps him settle. Just remember to be strong and not give in to his crying. Puppies usually do cry to go out to do their business during the night but put him right back in an be consistent with this training. It will be the best thing you will do Smile
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Marquez
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 119

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Apr 23 2014, 21:46

It's hard but sometimes a little tough love is needed!
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by mreed7773 Mon May 05 2014, 22:00

hi im a new owner and i use the crate at night ..its in a corner of the room thats not near a door and i have completely covered the sides with old towels with a wooden board on top to stop her pulling them off. she whimpers a bit but not for long . I do sit with a low light on and watch a bit of tv whilst she settles and i dont talk to her. so far she has been up one at 4 and the other nights we are up at si for the loo . i have however put paper in half of the crate and she does do a wee at some point.. keep trying ..good luck
mreed7773
mreed7773

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Tia
Dog(s) Ages : 22nd feb 2014 .... 2 years 4 months
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Mon May 05 2014, 22:57

It does break your heart but stick at it. Zeus cried/whimpered in his crate non stop for three nights, then got used to it and has been fine since.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down