aghhh pulling my hair out

+2
Night Crawler
scott61985
6 posters

Go down

aghhh pulling my hair out  Empty aghhh pulling my hair out

Post by scott61985 Sun May 29 2011, 17:39

well zena is 9 weeks now and still wont be house trained ive been trying for past 4 weeks shes wrecked the carpet in the room and its rented so thats not gone down good. ive tryed all sorts she just would rather poo and wee all over the house. iam trying all the things i did with blade he took it on very quick. then the other thing is her on the lead shes having none of it. she just lays on floor twist the lead bits it crys so i have to take her back to the house and leave her i just feel like anything i try isnt good enough so fed up
scott61985
scott61985
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : blade and zena
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

aghhh pulling my hair out  Empty Re: aghhh pulling my hair out

Post by Night Crawler Sun May 29 2011, 17:55

I don't have any experience with pups, but I do know that some can be hard work.
1 thing you can do is, watch her. See what she does before she goes for a number 1 or 2. Sometimes they will sniff around a bit to find somewhere to go.
Once you pick up what she does before she goes, get her to go outside when she does these things, before she has a chance to go, and keep her out until she does go. Then praise her and reward her. You will need to do this every time until she gets the idea.
As for your carpets. Maybe you could get one of those carpet shampoo machine things. If you don't want to fork out for a full size one, you can get one of those small ones that look like a car vac. Or maybe you could get one of those small steam cleaners. They are supposed to be really good.
And lead training... Do you use a collar or a harness?
If you use a collar, leave it on her all the time so she gets used to it. Then attach the lead and walk her around the house. Do this for a couple of minutes, 2 or 3 times a day. Then increase the time she is on the lead. Once you are on about 10 mins, take her out of the house on the lead and into the garden. Again, a few minutes at a time, then increase the time she is outside on the lead.
She will eventually get the hang of everything. It just takes time and sometimes, a lot of patients.
Night Crawler
Night Crawler
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Prince & Star
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29 2011, 18:34

Night Crawler wrote:I don't have any experience with pups, but I do know that some can be hard work.
1 thing you can do is, watch her. See what she does before she goes for a number 1 or 2. Sometimes they will sniff around a bit to find somewhere to go.
Once you pick up what she does before she goes, get her to go outside when she does these things, before she has a chance to go, and keep her out until she does go. Then praise her and reward her. You will need to do this every time until she gets the idea.
As for your carpets. Maybe you could get one of those carpet shampoo machine things. If you don't want to fork out for a full size one, you can get one of those small ones that look like a car vac. Or maybe you could get one of those small steam cleaners. They are supposed to be really good.
And lead training... Do you use a collar or a harness?
If you use a collar, leave it on her all the time so she gets used to it. Then attach the lead and walk her around the house. Do this for a couple of minutes, 2 or 3 times a day. Then increase the time she is on the lead. Once you are on about 10 mins, take her out of the house on the lead and into the garden. Again, a few minutes at a time, then increase the time she is outside on the lead.
She will eventually get the hang of everything. It just takes time and sometimes, a lot of patients.

thumbs up
Only i do have experience with pups lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun May 29 2011, 18:42

some dog dont need much training my sam only wee and poo only a couple of times in the house but some a take longer. it's all about patience everytime she as a drink or food you have to take her out in the garden till you can give her daily walks,

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sun May 29 2011, 19:56

She's such a tiny baby yet.. Few puppies are house trained at 9 weeks so even if it's hard work you've just got to keep at it.

As for the leash training - bring some fun toys/yummy treats and LOADS of patience. For now she's trained you to take her back when she doesn't want to walk on leash. Wink Now you need to show her that you're not giving in, and that if she wants to get anywhere (home included) she's got to walk. Also - keeping the collar on at all times is good, if that is part of the problem. Is she eager for her food? In that case walking her on leash up to the food bowl at meal time might be a good place to start.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29 2011, 20:37

I cant help with the house training as my 2 were very quick but i can tell ya 1001 carpet cleaner is excellent for stains of dog mess, Zero had a accident and i tried everything to move it but after 2 weeks i thought it was well imbedded (i have a cream carpet) and problem is my friends dog (male) kept coming in and pee'in on the spot but 1001 removed the stain and no ones pee'd there again so something in it that they dont like Smile

As for the lead i know how u feel Zero was sooooooo hard with this tried collar and harness but he just did the death roll screaming!! At one point my neighbour came running thru my door thinking Mazda was attacking him he screamed that bad Rolling Eyes , all i did was got a cat lead (very lightweight) and left it on him in the house he kept runnning at first but then got used to it, i slowly picked it up if he did death roll/screamed i dropped it but if he even took 1 step gave him a treat within a week he was running out the door when i put his lead on Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 30 2011, 00:32

I agree with all the lead training tips - just try different things & go with whatever works.

As to the house training, she's still much too young to expect her to be clean in the house. I know you've had her for a month now, but don't forget you'd normally not get a pup till they're about 8 weeks, and it can take 4-6 weeks to house train some (and with some, even longer!). A pup of 5-8 weeks really has very little bladder & bowel control, so you're expecting a little too much of her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 30 2011, 08:42

i can certainly relate to those feelings you are having right now - cant believe it was over a year ago that Woody used to make me feel like that, everyhtin everyone has advised above is sound advice but the main thing is patience and routine. you'll get there

Back to top Go down

Post by scott61985 Mon May 30 2011, 13:52

cheers for all the comments. iam going to buy some of that 1001 carpet stuff on tuesday and i always keep her collar on her. i gave in and brought her home because she was twisting around and crying so i thought it was hurting her and then just layed on her belly and wouldnt move a bit. i thought seeing blade on the lead would make her follow but not a chance lol
scott61985
scott61985

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : blade and zena
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Mon May 30 2011, 15:05

Awww remember shes only 9 weeks I know its frustrating but shes very young Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31 2011, 16:48

It took Vinnie a while to be fully toilet trained .. sometimes we would think yaay his got it, then he poos in the kitchen lol, but thankfully he is fine with it, it probs took him to the age of about 5months to start getting it properly.
Skye is copying everything her bro does so she will shoot outside and do her business in the garden, she does however pee in the kitchen if the door is shut so we are working on that but for poop' she crys and paces so we know and let her out.

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Tue May 31 2011, 20:36

Aww poor zena shes probably abit frigtened on the lead kaiser was on and off at first he would wallk if it was quiet but if there was any cars or any bit of noise that was it he would sit on his bum and wouldnt move we would have to carry him even on his first walk he got scared of a leaving blowing across the floor what a wimp lol its all new to her yet she will get there in the end took kaiser about 2 weeks to be house trained but i did get him at 8 weeks i think it just suddenly clicks with them you wiol get there in the end
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31 2011, 20:38

All my dogs took to leads really quickly until I got Bandit. The first time I took him in the street, I put him down & he was fine. Then I gently put a little pressure on the lead he screamed! And he kept right on screaming until all the neighbours' curtains started twitching - I kept expecting the RSPCA to appear any minute!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01 2011, 18:32

Charlie was difficult to housetrain, I couldn't really say with any confidence that he was fully housetrained until he was about 6 months. It's hard work, but one day they just seem to get it. As for the lead, Charlie wasn't impressed with it the first few times but he soon got used to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down