Toilet training help...before I start pulling my hair out!!

+2
StuW
stephanddexter
6 posters

Go down

Toilet training help...before I start pulling my hair out!! Empty Toilet training help...before I start pulling my hair out!!

Post by stephanddexter Sun Apr 29 2012, 19:01

Hey, my boys 13weeks and his toilet training isn't quite going to plan.....
He is great with poohing, has only done one in the house in a week so happy with that but he is weeing everywhere Sad even on his bed today and it was only about 30mins after we had him out.
He also wees withing 5mins of coming back in the house practically every time!!!
We have just been ignoring it and rewarding him with food and play when he toilets outside...he even turns round and waits for a treat after toileting outside now!! So i just don't know where i'm going wrong!!
Any help/advice would be HUGELY appreciated xx
stephanddexter
stephanddexter
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter
Dog(s) Ages : 3 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Toilet training help...before I start pulling my hair out!! Empty Re: Toilet training help...before I start pulling my hair out!!

Post by StuW Sun Apr 29 2012, 20:05

Only thing would be to take him outside after doing anything, playing, eating etc and waiting till he goes. Don't take him back in until he has done his business! Also when he does it in the house don't make a fuss, just clean it up and ignore it and extra praise when he does it outside!
StuW
StuW
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Toilet training help...before I start pulling my hair out!! Empty Re: Toilet training help...before I start pulling my hair out!!

Post by janey Sun Apr 29 2012, 20:38

I know this isn't much help but make sure you clean everything completly everytime he goes indoors, treat when he goes outdoors and keep it to a routine. They do catch on and it takes some longer than others, he is still a baby and learning, give it time Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Apr 29 2012, 20:54

As Janey says above really, make sure the area where he has weed indoors is cleaned thouroughly, do not use bleach.

Just keep letting him out even it if means every half an hour to see if he will go for a wee, then loads of praise when he gets it right. Please be persisitent, he will get it eventually.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by stephanddexter Sun Apr 29 2012, 21:57

Thanks guys, i've been using newspapers then cleaning the area with disenfectant wipes....can you recomend anything better?
stephanddexter
stephanddexter

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Apr 29 2012, 22:22

Maybe take the paper away. I was never a fan of paper/pad training, but everyone is different, to me if its there, its a safe place to go so they will
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by stephanddexter Sun Apr 29 2012, 22:25

janey wrote:

Maybe take the paper away. I was never a fan of paper/pad training, but everyone is different, to me if its there, its a safe place to go so they will

Thanks hun I wasn't sure if I should do this or not!
stephanddexter
stephanddexter

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29 2012, 23:55

I didn't use paper either, just repetition - outside every hour + after food/play/sleep. At 13 weeks he's still very young - as I said in another post, Dempsey wasn't fully house trained till he was about 6 or 7 months old! Sad

Dogs often take longer to house train than bitches.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 30 2012, 02:27

Caryll wrote:I didn't use paper either, just repetition - outside every hour + after food/play/sleep. At 13 weeks he's still very young - as I said in another post, Dempsey wasn't fully house trained till he was about 6 or 7 months old! Sad

Dogs often take longer to house train than bitches.

Agree with Caryll. We do use wee pads ourselves though because Suki gets left alone during the day so this lets her have a place where it's okay to go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabbiadini Mon Apr 30 2012, 19:31

Use a product that kills the smell otherwise they'll keep going in the same spots...

I use this:-

http://www.1001carpetcare.co.uk/index.php/1001-products/pet-stain-remover
Gabbiadini
Gabbiadini
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Toilet training help...before I start pulling my hair out!! Empty Crate training

Post by Pucklover Tue May 01 2012, 04:17

Our new puppy was doing the same thing! all I can tell you is go get a crate and do it that way! We have had hardly any accidents since we started and it has only been a couple of days :-) Put him in at night with NOTHING else in there & then put a blanket on top so he doesn't cry as much. the 1st day or so he will fuss a lot but then you will see a major difference! Trust me you will love the crate!!!! lol!
Pucklover
Pucklover
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Puck
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by stephanddexter Tue May 01 2012, 17:00

Pucklover wrote:Our new puppy was doing the same thing! all I can tell you is go get a crate and do it that way! We have had hardly any accidents since we started and it has only been a couple of days :-) Put him in at night with NOTHING else in there & then put a blanket on top so he doesn't cry as much. the 1st day or so he will fuss a lot but then you will see a major difference! Trust me you will love the crate!!!! lol!
We do have a crate. He is in there all night and for a couple of sleeps during the day I don't really want to be shutting him in it all the time though x
stephanddexter
stephanddexter

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down