not coping :(

2 posters

Go down

not coping :( Empty not coping :(

Post by chez Sat May 28 2011, 15:53

hiya all,

well ace is getting worse..

chewing,wee indoors,eating poo and has gone so backwords i,m struggling to cope Sad
(i know bad owner)
i do love him soooo much and i,m trying....

he only does these things when we pop out (never left him long)
and he has gone right back to puppy stage...

we have try'd a crate but he chews his tail and vet has said not to crate him as he could chew his tail off.....
we even got a konck (sp) and he has loads toys,radio on but nothing is working...

we have left him in garden but he ate anything he could get his teeth in to (inc r kids trampoline & wendy house)

a puppy trainer told us we not going to get him to change as he a rescue pup... Sad

please help.....
chez
chez
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Ace
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

not coping :( Empty Re: not coping :(

Post by chez Sat May 28 2011, 16:02

chez wrote:hiya all,

well ace is getting worse..

chewing,wee indoors,eating poo and has gone so backwords i,m struggling to cope Sad
(i know bad owner)
i do love him soooo much and i,m trying....

he only does these things when we pop out (never left him long) (does the poo eating when we in but we getting there with that) i hope!!
and he has gone right back to puppy stage...

we have try'd a crate but he chews his tail and vet has said not to crate him as he could chew his tail off.....
we even got a konck (sp) and he has loads toys,radio on but nothing is working...

we have left him in garden but he ate anything he could get his teeth in to (inc r kids trampoline & wendy house)

a puppy trainer told us we not going to get him to change as he a rescue pup... Sad

please help.....
chez
chez

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 16:09

Oh, lord, I was going to sugest a crate, but you've tried that. How did you get him used to it? Or did you just put him in there & shut the door?

What about shutting him in the kitchen, with a baby gate so that he can see out? Kitchens are usually the easiest rooms to clear of anything chewable!

The messing indoors will improve as he gets more settled & grows older.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 16:40

He's only 5 month he's still a baby and they do progress and then seem to go backwards at times

it sounds like he doesn't like being left, leave him short periods 30 sec and return and build upwards slowly it takes time and patience but will cure alot of the problems if he's comfy being left

How long have you had him?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 17:04

as marty has said he is still so young and i would say you still have time to train him properly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 17:30

i used to sit by woody's crate and cry when i first got him. it does get betetr honest. my crate is a god send otherwise i reckon he would have chewed through the entire house. im not sure you should give up on the crate so quickly. is there anythingyou could do to stop him chewing his tail?

Back to top Go down

Post by chez Sat May 28 2011, 18:09

he has been near his crate since he was a pup and we have had him since middle feb..

with his crate we showed it since he was little left the door open etc
we cant really lock him in kitchen as we live in a open plan barn so he gets shut in the big hall way so loads room to play... he was fine being left but he is starting to get worse Sad

we dont know what to do with his tail eating..we have try'd creams there not ment to like but he does :-\
chez
chez

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexibum Sat May 28 2011, 20:10

One of our past staffs had a tail chewing problem, all we could do was to get it removed, some staffs are very stubborn and try as you might nothing seems to work so drastic action has to be taken.
We have lost count of the door frames and skirting boards that have been replaced because of chewing.
Perceverance usually wins in the end though, but it can be frustrating and a long journey.
Hopefully Ace will come good soon.

Will you be getting him neutered in the future?
Lexibum
Lexibum
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lexi, Cleo, Ty
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Female, Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29 2011, 03:01

have you tried one of those dap defusers.. you plug them into the socket in your wall, and they release a calming dog pheromone that only the dog can detect and it is supposed to mellow them out..

I was thinking also of a thundershirt, but because he is still growing might be hard to get the right size.

Rescue remedy drops in his food and water?? They definitely have helped Jethro over the years..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29 2011, 09:43

vanessa wrote:
have you tried one of those dap defusers.. you plug them into the socket in your wall, and they release a calming dog pheromone that only the dog can detect and it is supposed to mellow them out..

I was thinking also of a thundershirt, but because he is still growing might be hard to get the right size.

Rescue remedy drops in his food and water?? They definitely have helped Jethro over the years..

Vanessa.............is there a special "rescue remedy" formulation for dogs or do u use the standard formula from the chemist??????? Interesting thinking And I might have to do some research on the dap defuser you mention too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29 2011, 14:23

the rescue remedy drops are the exact same formula for humans! I get a naturopath to make up a 200 ml bottle ..alot cheaper than the piddly small bottles they sell in the shops. his web site is www.herbal-dogkeeping.com.au
I have actually used the dap defuser on Jethro a while ago.. Vet Products Direct ( based in Queensland ) sell them and the refills, and they also sell a spray now, that you spray on the dogs bandanna or collar.
Now that a storm is on the way here I will have to make sure Jethro is wearing his thundershirt tonight..struth! no wonder I have no money left!! these dogs cost me a fortune!!! Laughing

if the link for the rescue remedy doesn't work his name is Robert McDowell's Herbal Treatments.. you can just google it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down