My favourite money saving recipe sites.

2 posters

Go down

My favourite money saving recipe sites. Empty My favourite money saving recipe sites.

Post by kittehface Sat Mar 29 2014, 16:00

I like cheap foodie blogs with some good recipes. I'm on a low income and I love to cook fancy stuff on the cheap. I noticed a few good ones:

http://www.theskintfoodie.com

'...the skint foodie
• charmed life • cool job • platinum amex • business class • turbo-charged coupé • prada/agnès b/nicole farhi •
• nobu/racine/club gasgon • life-changing shit-storm • alcoholism • depression • breakdown •
• pills/vodka/stanley knife • closed curtains/bailiffs • home repossession • bankruptcy • homeless hostel •
• community mental health team • temporary council flat • housing association flat • voluntary work •
• hope • relapse • try again •
...this site
If you have a passion for good food, but very little money, what do you eat? How do you organise your kitchen? Where do you shop? Well that's the situation I'm in, and that's what this site is about.'

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://thugkitchen.com/

Thugkitchen, for the vegans who don't take no shizzle. Loads of cursing and good food.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://agirlcalledjack.com/category/recipes-food/

Jack Monroe, a bit famous of late, who made eating well on absolutely no money at all hit the news.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.supercook.com/

Put the ingredients/foods you have knocking around in the back of the fridge, cupboard and it will offer you recipes that utilize that stuff.

My best money saving tips are:

Most supermarkets will stock frozen pre chopped veg and fruit. I live alone so this saved me buying and struggling to get through fresh veg and meant I could easily bulk up dishes without having to buy more meat.
Make a basic tomato bolognese sauce and freeze in batches. When thawed use for lasange with added veg, fried bacon, garlic etc. For chilli con carne mix in beans, tomatoes, chilli powder etc. For a cottage pie, thaw and top with mash.
If you have time, try markets or small meat shops, often they can give you a good deal. Mine will allow me to specify a value and customise what I need and will eat to match it.
Rice and pasta can be cheap, but other grains like risotto, cous cous and such work well.
Use coupons, keep any offer on receipts on the pinboard or in your wallet so you remember to use them.
Shop with someone close to you and split the 2 for 1's on expensive stuff like washing powder, bin bags etc.
Make a meal list and stick to buying stuff on the list, don't wing it when you shop.
Unless it is on your list, don't buy anything on offer on the supermarket aisle ends, most of those offers are for non necessary, poor quality or processed crap.
kittehface
kittehface
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Kai
Dog(s) Ages : 11
Dog Gender(s) : perfect gent
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

My favourite money saving recipe sites. Empty Re: My favourite money saving recipe sites.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 29 2014, 16:28

Fab info  Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

My favourite money saving recipe sites. Empty Re: My favourite money saving recipe sites.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 29 2014, 16:52

thumbs up cheers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Mar 29 2014, 19:09

Some fantastic tips for us all there, thanks for sharing  thumbs up 
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down