Is looking for a shepard pie recipe!

4 posters

Go down

Is looking for a shepard pie recipe! Empty Is looking for a shepard pie recipe!

Post by wentzer Sat Mar 24 2012, 13:30

I was wondering if anyone had a decent shepards pie recipe they would be will to share. My OH absolutely love pasties, banger and mash, ect...i absolutly have never made any of these things and im trying to expand my cooking skills other than out of a box, hamburger helper ramen ect....just looking for something differnt
wentzer
wentzer
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Is looking for a shepard pie recipe! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Is looking for a shepard pie recipe! Empty Re: Is looking for a shepard pie recipe!

Post by Guest Sat Mar 24 2012, 17:05

Don't have time right now, but I'll put one on tomorrow!

Back to top Go down

Is looking for a shepard pie recipe! Empty Re: Is looking for a shepard pie recipe!

Post by Guest Sat Mar 24 2012, 17:09

try these links they have recipes on. theres one for a shperds pie one for a cottage pie and another for stew and dumplings. the stew would go down a treat if he likes the others.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9644/nofuss-shepherds-pie

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/775643/cottage-pie

http://britishfood.about.com/od/recipeindex/r/beefstewdumps.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Mar 24 2012, 17:36

I can't cook to save my life but this did make me giggle!

Good luck Big Grin
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 24 2012, 23:16

I love sheppards pie Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 24 2012, 23:18

just make it up as you go along you will suprise yourself Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25 2012, 00:06

Im not a fan of it tbh, i dunno why. It's no different than mince and spuds but it just is sooo different hahah

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakrose Sun Mar 25 2012, 04:50

this is how I do it lol

Cook your mince in water, with an onion added, oxo cube (veggies optional).
Cook potatoes seperately (amount is up to you).
Once mince is cooked, thicken with gravy.
have an oven proof dish and use a ladle to put mince into it (don't take too much gravy with it. Put mashed potatoes on top and spread it out to cover it (carefully). Sometimes I will put sliced tomato on top and grated cheese. Place under the grill to brown the top and then its done Smile Use the left over gravy to add once its on your plate Smile
Blakrose
Blakrose
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Pippa
Dog(s) Ages : 25 months
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25 2012, 10:04

when making the mash i put a sweet potatoe in soemtimes it adds extra flavour tastes lovely

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25 2012, 20:38

My recipe:

Put potatoes on to boil. Once cooked, mash with a little butter & milk & leave to cool.
Peel & dice some carrots & then boil for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, brown a diced onion in butter (gives a better flavour) & then brown the mince (I use quorn) with the onion. Add the carrots, a tin of chopped tomatoes with the juice, a stock cube (or two) & a little water to stop it drying out - mix well. I also add some Herbs Provencal, or Mixed Herbs.
Transfer to an ovenproof dish & spoon over the mashed potato. Use a fork to roughen the surface & then dot some butter over the top.
Put on to middle shelf of the oven & cook at 180 degrees for about 20 - 30 minutes, depending on your oven. Once the potato is nice & golden it's done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 01:50

Caryll wrote:My recipe:

Put potatoes on to boil. Once cooked, mash with a little butter & milk & leave to cool.
Peel & dice some carrots & then boil for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, brown a diced onion in butter (gives a better flavour) & then brown the mince (I use quorn) with the onion. Add the carrots, a tin of chopped tomatoes with the juice, a stock cube (or two) & a little water to stop it drying out - mix well. I also add some Herbs Provencal, or Mixed Herbs.
Transfer to an ovenproof dish & spoon over the mashed potato. Use a fork to roughen the surface & then dot some butter over the top.
Put on to middle shelf of the oven & cook at 180 degrees for about 20 - 30 minutes, depending on your oven. Once the potato is nice & golden it's done.

Our recipes are very similar! I just add peas (and use lamb mince... but I really like quorn... best vegetarian alternative I've ever had... made chilli with it a few times even Big Grin ) and my mum always uses a little bit of butter when frying, because it does taste better... good thing she doesn't fry too much Tongues A bit of salt and cracked pepper in the mix tastes awesome along with some dried rosemary Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by wentzer Sat Mar 31 2012, 18:04

Thanks for them all. I am super excited to try them all. Smile
wentzer
wentzer

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Mar 31 2012, 18:16

i'm not a fan of Shepherd Pie but did find this recipe, its the mashed potato I cant stand.:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/shepherds_pie_54694
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by wentzer Sat Mar 31 2012, 19:51

I could live on meat and potatoes Smile
wentzer
wentzer

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01 2012, 00:27

kathytake2 wrote:i'm not a fan of Shepherd Pie but did find this recipe, its the mashed potato I cant stand.:

My sister's the same, so instead of mash, she cuts the spuds into thin slices & layers them on top. Then she dots them with butter & sticks it in the oven.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down