Getting an older pup - thoughts appreciated.

+7
Sazzle
stella
jshrew
Staffy lover
taras
Rachel33
djstratton
11 posters

Go down

Getting an older pup - thoughts appreciated. Empty Getting an older pup - thoughts appreciated.

Post by djstratton Mon Jan 20 2014, 06:29

Getting an older pup - thoughts appreciated. Staffyphoto_zpsc77a7820

So a friend contacted us a couple of days ago to let us know that one of his friends is selling his 7 month old male.  We've yet to get more information about him like why the owner is selling him, if he's good with other dogs and people (esp. children) and if he's healthy.  We do know that he has papers which is important as we will be bringing him with us when we move back to Europe at the end of the year and which we will need as we will be travelling throughout the EU for vacations.  So anyway, my husband and I were talking about the benefits of getting an older pup - I can take him on my morning walks immediately and not going through the toilet training (we're assuming he's toilet trained) or teething stage but I do have concerns that he may not bond as much to our family because we got him older instead of 2 months old.  

I know that some of you have adopted older dogs and I just want to know if this is something that I'm worrying about for nothing?  With the exception of one dog who was 4 months old all our other ones have been 2 months so this isn't something we've had to think about before. Another thing is that he is going from an Indonesian speaking family to an English speaking one.  It took our 10 year old daughter to bring up this fact when she asked if he will be able to understand us worried   Never though the language issue would be another consideration we would have to make :p
Also how quick does it take for an older dog to get used to a different name and new family?
djstratton
djstratton
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marquez
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 119

Back to top Go down

Getting an older pup - thoughts appreciated. Empty Re: Getting an older pup - thoughts appreciated.

Post by Guest Mon Jan 20 2014, 06:36

He's a beauty, I've only had darcy from a puppy too, but lots of our members are angels (rescuers) and their pupsters settle into their home life like they've always been there so I think on that issue your worring about nothing as you said. I think once you've found out all the correct info, and your all happy go for it Big Grin do keep us updated.

Back to top Go down

Getting an older pup - thoughts appreciated. Empty Re: Getting an older pup - thoughts appreciated.

Post by Rachel33 Mon Jan 20 2014, 07:03

Hiya Smile the only dogs I've ever had have been adult strays, I've had no background on them.. Didn't even know their name.. If they even had one! As long as you put some time into retraining with your commands and remain clear and consistent I can't see that he would have a problem adjusting. I don't think I'd ever have a pup.. Have seen too much in rescue for that! He looks lovely, find out a bit more about him and if he'll fit into your family, but it's so very rewarding Smile also take him out yourself a few timea first. People can be very blind to their dogs behaviour! As they can with their children lol!
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by taras Mon Jan 20 2014, 07:11

I agree with Rachel. I got Chico when he was about 3 and it didn't take long for him to fit right in! I don't know what I'd do without him now Smile I will always rescue and elder dog now, Dad just got a pup and I'm even more certain now lol

taras
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Chico
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Mon Jan 20 2014, 08:59

Hayley, Rachel and Taras, thank you so much for your replies.  It really does make me feel better with the thought of going with an older pup.  I know after our last dog, my husband and I said that we would NEVER do it again - we both just came to the same conclusion that we're too old for puppies and babies  Tongues   We would've loved to have gotten a rescue but because they don't come with papers it wouldn't have been possible but this 7 month is the next best thing Smile 
Another thing that makes me feel better about getting an older pup is that over the weekend, we went to a dog show and met the only stafford there.  Sidney is a 2 year old female and she was absolutely lovely and both her and our daughter were like best friends from the time they met.  I'm hoping that this pup also has the same connection with us. Still can't believe how quickly they became friends.  

Here's a video and a couple of pics of Angel and Sidney

Getting an older pup - thoughts appreciated. E3FDD507-3E25-41C2-BAEB-73452EFE89A0_zpscijmv91u
Getting an older pup - thoughts appreciated. Sidney2_zpse5554c96

Just heard back from the guy who owns the pup and hubby and I are going to see him tomorrow morning. So excited!!!!
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by taras Mon Jan 20 2014, 09:10

Aww she's beautiful :-) just because you're not getting her from a shelter doesn't mean you're not rescuing. You would be taking in a dog and giving him a good life. I hope it all works out for you :-D

taras

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Jan 20 2014, 09:31

We got Pixee from the Blue Cross, she was approx 15 months, and settled in well with us when we brought her home, as we spend a few days everyday getting to know her at the blue Cross. She was a stray too. Just because they understand one lauagne, doesnt mean to say they wont understand you, after all its just a few comments, and they do pick up well with some handsignals and movements from you. Good luck with tomorrow, and hope all goes well.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Mon Jan 20 2014, 10:06

Ledger was also rescue and 18months-2 years with most of his history lost you would never know that he hadn't been with me since a pup, settled right in from day 1 and the benefit of being house trained and from extended time in kennels the stress had meant he had a lot of interaction with staff and even stayed in one kennel owners house at night so he had a good grasp of the basic commands, though I soon noticed that it was more my body language and hand signals that he reacted to rather than vocal commands so a language difference will be quickly overcome staffies are very quick learners Smile
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 20 2014, 10:33

No experience here sorry but hope all goes well and wait to see if you have another addition to your family xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jan 20 2014, 10:58

We adopted Rocky from a rescue centre when he was 9 months old and bonded with him almost straight away. He settled in very quickly too and apart from one little weeing accident on our back door mat has never messed indoors. I'm sure you would have no problems with bonding with a slightly older dog.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Jan 20 2014, 12:10

we had sash from a pup so cant really help,hopefully he is toilet trained(he might take a day or so finding where he has to go in your house),so no getting up and down in the night to let him out like you would with a youngster,he's a gorgeous looking boy,hope all goes well tomorrow  Big Grin 
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Mon Jan 20 2014, 12:19

Thank you all so much for your stories. I now feel better than ever and not so worried. Best bit is that since I am home all day, we will have plenty of time to bond with each other. Really looking forward to tomorrow and hopefully have some good news and photos to share  Smile 
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Jan 20 2014, 12:55

cant wait to hear all about him  Big Grin ,fingers and paws crossed for you.
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon Jan 20 2014, 12:57

I only rescue and I promise you, getting an older dog does not stop you bonding with them as much. Daisy is still my baby  Big Grin
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Getting an older pup - thoughts appreciated. Empty UPDATE

Post by djstratton Tue Jan 21 2014, 06:24

Just a quick update about the puppy - We now have a beautiful 13 month old boy with our family that we've called Marquez.  He wasn't 7 months old as we were originally thought but after reading about your experiences with older dogs, it didn't bother us at all.  When we first got there I really wasn't sure because he was so scared and timid but the longer we stayed the more he relaxed.  It basically took 30 minutes during our ride home for him to totally relax and get that tail doing 360s and side to side whips, not to mention lots of kisses.  

Some background info: He was living at a large Rottweiler kennel who provides security throughout Indonesia and the owner had plans to train him as a sniffer dog (they train for bomb sniffing mainly) but it turns out that staffords aren't that suitable for that so he decided to sell him.  He had been kept in outdoor kennels his whole life along with the Rottweilers and has basically been raised by kennel boys.  Here in Indonesia, dogs are usually seen as a status thing and its not unusual for someone to own more than 5 dogs at a time but have them locked outdoors and looked after these "kennel boys" who feed, exercise, wash, etc.  It's really sad that most of these dogs don't have "real families" Sad

I think it's safe to say that life is going to be VERY different for Marquez where he'll spend most of his days indoors with a family that adores him Smile

Getting an older pup - thoughts appreciated. Marquez03_zps24f8fe86

Getting an older pup - thoughts appreciated. Marquez01_zpsfef619cf

Getting an older pup - thoughts appreciated. Marquez02_zpsd3ea5ffa

I'll make a new thread soon introducing our new boy.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Tue Jan 21 2014, 07:01

oh Diane i'm so thrilled for you,Marquez is a gorgeous boy he looks very happy with his big staffy smile  Love Struck .so glad he had found you and will be with a family to love him,keep us updated and any help you need just ask  Smile 
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by taras Tue Jan 21 2014, 07:48

Awww what a gorgeous boy! Sounds like he's going to have a great life with you Big Grin

taras

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21 2014, 08:01

Oooh Diane congrats on rescuing him he's really a gorgeous boy, I take it he has the relevant papers so you can take him to Europe which is fantastic Love Struck xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Jan 21 2014, 10:05

Well done for rescuing him, as for the language thing try using hand signals with him these are the same in any language:

Getting an older pup - thoughts appreciated. Test
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Tue Jan 21 2014, 10:48

Kathy wrote:Well done for rescuing him, as for the language thing try using hand signals with him these are the same in any language:

Getting an older pup - thoughts appreciated. Test

Thanks for this. Printing it up now Smile
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Jan 21 2014, 10:56

These are used for deaf dogs but the principal is the same  Smile 
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Tue Jan 21 2014, 11:05

Wow Diane he is absolutely gorgeous! Hope he settles in well. He may go backwards in terms of wetting. Our Alfie had a couple of accidents when he first came to us 8 weeks ago at 23mths old, but soon stopped. Also your little one is not used to being indoors and asking to go out for his business. Hopefully with your help and copying your other dog he will soon learn.  Big Grin 
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Wed Jan 22 2014, 00:35

flowerbud wrote:Wow Diane he is absolutely gorgeous! Hope he settles in well. He may go backwards in terms of wetting. Our Alfie had a couple of accidents when he first came to us 8 weeks ago at 23mths old, but soon stopped. Also your little one is not used to being indoors and asking to go out for his business. Hopefully with your help and copying your other dog he will soon learn.  Big Grin 

I did have to laugh about the wetting accidents (no point crying about it plus the hubby was the one that had to clean it up since he was the first up this morning  Laughing ) - he made a big one in his crate during the night. I think his crate is too big for him as it belonged to our dogo so I think I may have to get another smaller one to help with it.
Unfortunately there is no other dog to teach him things as Marco our dogo passed away last november but I know he will be a good big brother when we eventually get a 2nd stafford once we move back to Europe.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Darylkstaffy Wed Jan 22 2014, 00:48

congratulations guys … he is awesome Big Grin
Darylkstaffy
Darylkstaffy
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Getting an older pup - thoughts appreciated. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Lexy - Diesel - Cleo - Nico
Dog(s) Ages : 28months - 16 months - 17 Months - 6 Weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Female - Male - Female - Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by kriptikracing Wed Jan 22 2014, 01:14

I'm glad this thread was created! I'm too will be getting an older pup...approximately 6 months old. I just bought a new house that I'm still rennovating so I can't get him right away. I hope all goes well. Thanks Diane for starting this thread!

kriptikracing
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Wed Jan 22 2014, 07:19

So sorry Diane, I've obviously got mixed up there. Sorry for your loss x
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Wed Jan 22 2014, 12:17

flowerbud wrote:So sorry Diane, I've obviously got mixed up there. Sorry for your loss x

Thank you.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down