is the stress from the move causing Dodger not to eat ?

+3
Sazzle
Sara n Ozzy
Kathy
7 posters

Go down

is the stress from the move causing Dodger not to eat ? Empty is the stress from the move causing Dodger not to eat ?

Post by kizzy n dodger Tue Dec 31 2013, 22:19

Hey, iv had 7 month old Dodger for a few days now, and he isn't eating properly. He ate the day I got him from my friends before I took him and I have the same dog food that she was feeding him. Today I added some rice and chicken to it, and he ate it all up.
But will I have to keep adding it things to get him to eat his food again ? Is this just stress from being away from his brother and previous owner ? He is still lively and playful, and I have been taking him on long walks (at least a hour, twice a day but usually ends up being longer) and I am showing him lots of TLC !

kizzy n dodger
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

is the stress from the move causing Dodger not to eat ? Empty Re: is the stress from the move causing Dodger not to eat ?

Post by Guest Tue Dec 31 2013, 22:33

It's probably the move Hun, just keep doing what your doing. I used to add a raw egg or sardines in oil or tomato sauce in Darcy's kibble to make it a little interesting Smile

Back to top Go down

is the stress from the move causing Dodger not to eat ? Empty Re: is the stress from the move causing Dodger not to eat ?

Post by Guest Tue Dec 31 2013, 22:58

As Hayley says probs the move he will settle down xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Jan 01 2014, 12:13

Rocky is fed a dry kibble to which I add some cooked, cooled chicken. Other things to try are sardines and eggs occasionally. Most probably just needs some time to adjust to his new surroundings, try not to worry as he will pick up on your stress too.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Wed Jan 01 2014, 14:38

Ozz was the same, i kept giving him extra yummies until he settled down
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Jan 01 2014, 14:45

I'm sure he'll settle in soon and get his appetite back xx
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Wed Jan 01 2014, 19:04

yeap i would say its the move thats unsettled him,give him a bit more time and just keep doing what your doing  Big Grin 
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by kizzy n dodger Fri Jan 03 2014, 01:51

Quick update Dodger is eating again Smile iv also managed to get him to stop pulling on the lead ( most of the time... ) he still pulls when he sees another dog or a person or a bird though ! But its only been a week so I'm pleased with the result so far. Any tips on how to get him to stop pulling at everyone/everything he sees ?

kizzy n dodger

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Fri Jan 03 2014, 09:05

That's brilliant news, sounds like he is really settling in with you  Big Grin 
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Fri Jan 03 2014, 10:26

Thats great that he has settled down now.

The pulling on the lead when walking, you can teach heel, or just stop walking and start walking back the other way, it will confuse Dodger but he will soon pick up, you will only walk one way with no pulling. As to pulling on the lead when seeing other dogs and people, try teaching him the 'watch' common word. You have a treat ready, and say 'watch', he has to watch you till you ready to give him your treat. Hope this helps.

Pixee will chase birds! when off lead so be extra careful where you let Dodger off lead if you think he will chase birds.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 03 2014, 10:43

Aww that's great news he's settling in Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 03 2014, 11:08

There are some good videos on youtube on pulling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1fujx6vGC4

Back to top Go down

Post by kizzy n dodger Fri Jan 03 2014, 13:49

Thank for the advice ! At the moment I stop if he pulls and make him come back to my side before we walk, that seems to be working. I will try 'watch' with his next walk Smile at the moment I am using a long (20 ft) lead in the busier parks until he is better at coming back when I call. But quiet fields I have him off the lead.

kizzy n dodger

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down