crate help

5 posters

Go down

crate help Empty crate help

Post by jessie31 Sun Dec 08 2013, 19:58

Hi everyone,
Just after some advice realy, Harley sleeps in his crate and don't hear a peep my concern is when I know he is tired I will say bed Harley, he has a treat goes inside and wthin a few mins is fast asleep, I no he likes his crate as he never cries or tries to get out but I want him to start t sleep around house when he is tired although he never seems to I have to put him to bed, is ths normal do u think, or should he be sleeping outside of his crate and going on his own when tired x he is 5 and half months now
jessie31
jessie31
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Harley
Dog(s) Ages : 16 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

crate help Empty Re: crate help

Post by kandydragons Sun Dec 08 2013, 22:18

Hmm I wish I could help but I have a similar problem so I shall be keeping an eye on this! My Roman won't sleep anywhere other than on the sofa having a cuddle, apart from at night he has no problem going to his crate then. If I am stubborn and refuse to let him on the sofa he just acts like a tired 2yr old child and gets really naughty. He will just point blank refuse to rest haha!!

kandydragons
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Roman
Dog(s) Ages : 31st August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloomooner Sun Dec 08 2013, 22:23

Sounds great to me. He obviously knows his crate is his sanctuary. I wouldn't complain too much. Tommy will nap in various places but when he wants a long sleep he'll get straight to his bed and bury himself under his covers in our utility room where he won't be disturbed.
Bloomooner
Bloomooner
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Tommy
Dog(s) Ages : 20th October 2012
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 09 2013, 04:23

I think he sees his crate as his safe place to go and not be bothered so I wouldn't worry too much Smile darcy has a crate for night time and if we go out and a bed or her crate when we are home Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 09 2013, 09:46

As above don't be worrying too much, it sounds like its where he feels comfy and safe, Vinnie sleeps in his crate at night and when I am out and absolutely loves it in there, I do sometimes pop to shops and don't put him in and he just sleeps on the sofa in the dining area.Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by KMDT Tue Dec 10 2013, 13:25

Hi Jessie,

We had a pen when we first got him and changed to crate when he started to jump out. He is sleep in crate in the night and when we are out but apart from that he normally happy to sleep on sofa. He knows crate is his bed and happy to be in when we lock him for evening. But if he have a choice he will be sleeping in sofa!!

Zeus is 4 and half month now.
KMDT
KMDT

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 31/7/2013
Support total : 21

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Tue Dec 10 2013, 17:00

First of all, well done both. You've obviously done a geat job of crate training him. At that age I started leaving the crate door open when I nipped to the shops etc. then graduated on to leaving it open overnight. But Bacchus was well past the stage of accidents by then and has never been a chewer ( don't know if that was because I'm retired and he is seldom on his own or if we've just been lucky ). He now prefers the sofa but goes to his crate when he sees us getting ready to go out and at bedtime, gets his treat, then nips back to the sofa. Laughing Laughing 
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down