Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) in dogs

4 posters

Go down

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) in dogs Empty Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) in dogs

Post by Guest Sat Nov 23 2013, 22:49

Didn't put this in Staffy Health, as it's a sweeping question for all dog breeds. Does anybody here have a dog with OCD? Dempsey has exhibited the symptoms right from puppyhood, which isn't surprising, as Bullies are prone to it. Just wondered if anybody else has experience of it and, if so, whether it's a triggered OCD (stress-related, for instance).

Dempsey's obsessive behaviours usually take form in actions such as licking the air, tail chasing and grass snatching.

The air licking is his most common one, which he's been doing a lot more recently. Very annoying, but somewhat manageable. We're working on the 'Stop' command for that, but it's a matter of issuing it before he zones out. The only problem with the licking is that, if he swallows too much air, he gets bloated. (Edit: He is right now licking the air! Lovely!)

The tail chasing was a puppyhood/adolescent behaviour. He used to spin madly in circles continuously until somebody physically stopped him - even then, he'd often still attempt to continue. That was dealt with quickly enough. He still spins when he's excited, but it isn't obsessive.

The grass snatching has only ever been serious once, leading to a hasty vet trip and stomach operation. This usually occurs when he feels sick on a walk. He'll literally snatch at any and every piece of grass within reach. On the occasion that it caused a problem, the OCD kicked in right in the middle of the park. By the time he'd gotten home, he'd eaten a lot of grass. It formed a ball in his stomach, leading to a blockage, which was removed surgically, and suffered severe bloat. He recovered very quickly, although he still has a pot belly because of it!

So yeah - anybody else? Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) in dogs Empty Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) in dogs

Post by janey Sat Nov 23 2013, 23:07

Not so much OCD but she does no when I am going out and will make it a problem x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) in dogs Empty Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) in dogs

Post by Rachel33 Sun Nov 24 2013, 07:26

Will try to reply properly later am in the middle of moving house at the moment lol! But yep had a staffy foster with OCD, an ebt at my old kennels with it and currently got a collie in kennels with it! I had OCD as a child from 6 to 17 and had to have 18 months of cognitive behavioural therapy to get my behavioural patterns back to normal, so could somewhat relate to my old foster lol just really hard when you can't communicate verbally!!
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 24 2013, 10:15

janey wrote:Not  so much OCD but she does no when I am going out and will make it a problem x
Aww, bless her!

Rachel33 wrote:Will try to reply properly later am in the middle of moving house at the moment lol! But yep had a staffy foster with OCD, an ebt at my old kennels with it and currently got a collie in kennels with it! I had OCD as a child from 6 to 17 and had to have 18 months of cognitive behavioural therapy to get my behavioural patterns back to normal, so could somewhat relate to my old foster lol just really hard when you can't communicate verbally!!  
I thought you might have encountered it, working in kennels. Smile Dempsey's doesn't cause anxiety, as it's a genetic disorder, rather than stress and anxiety related. I do feel very sorry for dogs who develop it in kennels, though.

I have mild OCD; never been a particular problem, thankfully! I can imagine that it must have been a difficult thing for you to deal with as a child!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Nov 24 2013, 11:09

Thankfully this isn't something Rocky has suffered with so far
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 24 2013, 11:15

It usually only occurs with dogs undergoing a lot of stress or anxiety. Some breeds can be specifically pinpointed to be predisposed to OCD, but I don't think the staffy is one of them, thankfully. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sun Nov 24 2013, 11:19

The ebt was genetic too bless him, only came in for assessment but couldn't take him in as was severely DA also and many health problems, but the others mostly anxiety based although I'm sure the collie's breeding didn't help!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 24 2013, 11:20

Poor things Sad What sort of obsessive behaviours did they display?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sun Nov 24 2013, 13:33

The ebt was fixated on feet and carrier bags, would snap and grab at them and then spin if he couldn't get them, sometimes for 10 mins at a time! Ollie (staff) would spin whenever something was new which was more anxiety and Misty (collie) was a homeless persons dog and overexposed so now uses OCD to calm herself.. Mostly grass eating and spinning
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 24 2013, 13:54

The spinning is the most common one in Bullies, I believe. Dempsey's always doing it, but it was only a problem for a few adolescent months.

Poor things. Sad A lot of anxiety in stress-related OCD sufferers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 26 2013, 21:55

No, sorry. But my horse was mad ocd lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Nov 26 2013, 22:22

Daisy sometimes goes for her tail but only one circle, I always tel her no to discourage it anyway
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27 2013, 00:04

The good thing is that it can very often be controlled with training and the right mental stimulation Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down