Whats your views on this dogs condition????

+14
Sara n Ozzy
Keith
paul l
yeahbut
Steve
rescuestaffords
cesca1
Rachel33
taichi
janey
debs0109
Sazzle
jo garnett
Hargar
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Whats your views on this dogs condition???? - Page 2 Empty Whats your views on this dogs condition????

Post by Hargar Tue Nov 19 2013, 18:49

First topic message reminder :

Whats your views on this dogs condition???? - Page 2 Null_zpsfec2203b
Whats your views on this dogs condition???? - Page 2 Null_zps81deca10
I thinks its stunning if it was for show but i cant see how it could b kept up all the time without killing the dog.

Hargar
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Whats your views on this dogs condition???? - Page 2 Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 1year
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Whats your views on this dogs condition???? - Page 2 Empty Re: Whats your views on this dogs condition????

Post by Jasminesmum Thu Nov 21 2013, 16:57

What would happen when the dog gets older and it can't keep up the fitness regime, thats my question?? Wont it just turn to fat, and put a strain on the dogs heart?

I love to see a healthy, fit looking staff. But not like this. Not my cup of tea I'm afraid x
Jasminesmum
Jasminesmum
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Jasmine
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Whats your views on this dogs condition???? - Page 2 Empty Re: Whats your views on this dogs condition????

Post by Guest Thu Nov 21 2013, 17:00

Jasminesmum wrote:What would happen when the dog gets older and it can't keep up the fitness regime, thats my question?? Wont it just turn to fat, and put a strain on the dogs heart?

I love to see a healthy, fit looking staff. But not like this. Not my cup of tea I'm afraid x
no not necessarily, the dogs are kept lean for life normally, and all dogs should be exercised regardless of age, staffs are naturally 'muscly' dogs anyway all your doing is removing the fat layer that covers them and developing it more.

There is no need to allow it to turn to fat, but people tend to allow older dogs to put to much weight on anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasminesmum Thu Nov 21 2013, 17:04

ella wrote:
Jasminesmum wrote:What would happen when the dog gets older and it can't keep up the fitness regime, thats my question?? Wont it just turn to fat, and put a strain on the dogs heart?

no not necessarily, the dogs are kept lean for life normally, and all dogs should be exercised regardless of age, staffs are naturally 'muscly' dogs anyway all your doing is removing the fat layer that covers them and developing it more.

There is no need to allow it to turn to fat, but people tend to allow older dogs to put to much weight on anyway.
Ok, but was just curious that as it ages, its obviously not going to be able to keep up the same level of exercise e.g. weight pulling, but if done in the right way, i guess what your saying makes sense.

Jasmines dad was a very muscly type, and the owners didn't train him to be that way especially. He just was built like that.
Jasminesmum
Jasminesmum

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Jasmine
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 21 2013, 17:12

Jasminesmum wrote:
ella wrote:

Ok, but was just curious that as it ages, its obviously not going to be able to keep up the same level of exercise e.g. weight pulling, but if done in the right way, i guess what your saying makes sense.

Jasmines dad was a very muscly type, and the owners didn't train him to be that way especially. He just was built like that.
Oh no of course, you wouldn't put a 12 years old through the same exercise of a 4 year old Smile and obviously their body condition will never be the same as when they are younger all dogs age.

Yep some dogs are genetically more prone to have a higher muscle mass then others and so would need less 'training' to get conditioned, but they are all different Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by DafnPuppet Fri Nov 22 2013, 09:16

A balanced diet and exercise routine is all that is needed to keep our staffords at a healthy weight. What this weight is will vary from dog to dog depending on build, metabolism, age etc.
I don't agree with 'conditioning' a dog just so that it looks a certain way. Fair enough to condition a dog that is going to race or to work livestock, but they are conditioned to increase speed / stamina NOT for their looks.
I'm no vet, but to train a dog to this state must put more strain on it's joints than 'normal' exercise. Surely then as the dog gets older, this may cause joint problems leading to less exercise leading to poorer health.
DafnPuppet
DafnPuppet
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzie
Dog(s) Ages : 18 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 22 2013, 09:56

My concern is still for the here & now & near future regards joint problems, and even heart problems.

This is totally unnatural and therefore not healthy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2