Ripley harness making her skin sore :( HELP !!!!!!

3 posters

Go down

Ripley harness making her skin sore :( HELP !!!!!! Empty Ripley harness making her skin sore :( HELP !!!!!!

Post by kitten Mon May 02 2011, 21:31

Got Rips a Rogz harness at the weekend as we were concerned about her choking when using the extending lead. It's made her skin on her tummy red Sad. And considering we've been working so hard to get her up to health and how much fur she'd lost when we first got her we don't want to make her skin irritated .

Back to the collar it is. We actually let her off the lead tonight and was really impressed with her. So so happy.

Just got to work a bit on her recall.

Any suggestions from people would be great.
kitten
kitten
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Ripley harness making her skin sore :( HELP !!!!!! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ripley
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Ripley harness making her skin sore :( HELP !!!!!! Empty Re: Ripley harness making her skin sore :( HELP !!!!!!

Post by Guest Mon May 02 2011, 21:36

I don't use a harness for that very reason (and of course the fact that I have less control with a harness than a collar), but you can get fleece lined harnesses which I'm told are kinder to their skin.

Personally I'd always train a dog to walk nicely on a collar before using a harness - just my own preference!

Back to top Go down

Ripley harness making her skin sore :( HELP !!!!!! Empty Re: Ripley harness making her skin sore :( HELP !!!!!!

Post by kitten Mon May 02 2011, 22:05

We're really lucky, she walks really well on the lead but we wanted to give her so little more freedom so got her the extending lead and sometimes she sees a squirrel or a bunny she wants to chase. We've only had her since feb as shes a rescue dog and we're still getting to know how she is in certain situations ( so far she seems to be really goodd with people and dogs but we can't be nieve) We took her to a place this evening that we knew would be really quiet and was really impressed and we practised her recall loads

Just don't know what to about her harness now as the extending lead seems like a good middle ground while were training her off lead and her recall.
kitten
kitten

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 02 2011, 22:10

If you really want a harness, I'd try a fleece lined one like this.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLEECE-LINED-DOG-HARNESS-SIZE-5-BLACK-/180659868227?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item2a102ad243

Back to top Go down

Post by kitten Mon May 02 2011, 22:11

Thank you Smile
kitten
kitten

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Mon May 02 2011, 22:21

The leather harness is really harsh on the skin and I feel it gives the wrong impression so I agree the fleece ones are much better
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 02 2011, 22:22

They're also quite pretty!!

Back to top Go down

Post by kitten Mon May 02 2011, 22:25

Really like the look of it so going to get one ASAP and just use her collar for now. Thank you again Smile
kitten
kitten

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Tue May 03 2011, 11:16

http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/harnesses-fleece-lined
I have a harness from this company, recommended on here (old board) and they're pretty good.

I use a harness for walks and collar for training or in crowded places. Harnesses makes me more comfortable since they are harder to get out of and are much less likely to cause injuries - but of course it's no fun if they scratch the fur off.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kitten Tue May 03 2011, 11:36

Thank you we're going to order the harness this evening. Like the colour options on it. I don't think my husband would let me get Pink though lol
kitten
kitten

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 03 2011, 11:39

no but he might let you get the pink camo that would look nice on her

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down