Swedish Dog Breeding Laws

2 posters

Go down

Swedish Dog Breeding Laws Empty Swedish Dog Breeding Laws

Post by Guest Thu Nov 07 2013, 10:39

I think the Swedes have the right idea, but I doubt the UK would follow suit - what do you think?

"WILL NEUTERING STOP OVER POPULATION AND ANIMALS IN RESCUE?Sweden does not have a dog roaming problem, nor does it have dog overpopulation or lots of rescue animals in kennels. Yet we are constantly told by the neuter everything crowd, that it is the un-neutered dogs that are causing the problem. over 95% of all domestic dogs in Sweden are not neutered.

Sweden has VERY strict animal laws, and therefore they have minimal problems with pet overpopulation. In my opinion the top two contributors to the problem (besides lack of education ) is:

1. Pet Stores

2. Backstreet Breeders.

In Sweden those two problems have been resolved by:

1. You are not (nor have ever been) allowed to sell cats or dogs in pet stores. That is left to certified breeders ONLY. That way the spur-of-the-moment purchases of dogs and cats are eliminated. It also means that the buyer is scrutinized before being allowed to buy any pet.

2. Only CERTIFIED breeders are allowed to breed. There are extremely strict laws with hefty fines if not followed, regarding dog breeding.

The breeder is financially responsible for the health of the pup for it's first 3 years. That completely eliminates backyard breeders and puppy-farms that breed for profit, not health. Under these circumstances It would no longer be financially viable or feasible to breed.

I believe that places like the UK and America, should take note. Instead of mutilating tiny puppies, and affecting the behaviour and health of their immature pets, they should demand stronger breeding laws.

- See more at: Neutering Dogs. In Depth | Doglistener

Also it is illegal to neuter dogs unless for health reasons

Apparently there is only 1 major rescue centre for unwanted dogs and as they are so rare there is a waiting list for them! They're also picky about who gets what dog and will not let you pick one out so you don't go just for looks.
"

Back to top Go down

Swedish Dog Breeding Laws Empty Re: Swedish Dog Breeding Laws

Post by Guest Thu Nov 07 2013, 10:52

Bump.

Nobody got any views on it?i dont know 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 07 2013, 11:22

I think the UK should follow the swedes no nonsense approach thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 07 2013, 12:47

I think they have the right idea. Smile Their animal welfare legislation is a hundred times better than ours!

When I was reading up on their legislation yesterday, loads of the comment boards were filled with "Oh, it'll never work! They're just kidding themselves!" Rolling Eyes My dears, it has worked.

What we (general, not specific to people here) treat as mere guidelines for animal welfare, they treat as law. Dogs out there must be walked as needed for the breed, size, age and health status. They can and will be prosecuted for failing to do so.

They also banned tail docking back in the last century, which scores points with me! Tongues

What I also like is that they're not allowed to breed dogs if said breeding would introduce or prolong health problems in the breed. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Nov 07 2013, 13:20

Wow definitely the right idea, all sounds very sensible to me thumbs up
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 07 2013, 16:02

What a shame our country is too backward and tight with money to follow suit!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Thu Nov 07 2013, 17:02

I lived out there for six months and i can tell you why it would work there and not here.
The people... its a world apart from here. they respect the laws and each other, and while the police are strict they are fair. Another thing that im sure helps is that until 2010 it was mandatory to serve in the military for so many months. I'm not saying its some kind of eutopia but the ethos of the general popultaion is far different to here.

Over population is 100% down to humans, accidents will happen but why not then pop to the vet and get a doggie morning after pill?
The ammount of times I've heard people say they are going to breed their bitch because "she has to have one litter" or she will get all kinds of illnesses is rediculous. Then you have the people wanting to cash in on the latest fad dog and use them as breeding machines.

The reason we have the problem we do is down to education (or lack of), too many people listening to old wives tales and the biggest and worst of the lot; GREED
Nathan
Nathan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down