calcium powder for pups

4 posters

Go down

calcium powder for pups Empty calcium powder for pups

Post by Guest Fri Apr 29 2011, 13:23

OK I want to pick all your brains... As you know we are getting an 8 week old puppy in the next few days. Now when Jethro was a pup I remember giving him calcium powder from the time I got him.. even though I fed him puppy food. I was googling puppy feeding last night and some say to give him the supplement, others say not to. Advice please !! Also Jethro has arthritis powder and also a vitamin powder on his food each day. Could a little puppy have the vitamin powder on his food.. or would it be an over load.. thanks in advance ! Been a long time since we had a puppy in the house so I want to do the right thing! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

calcium powder for pups Empty Re: calcium powder for pups

Post by janey Fri Apr 29 2011, 13:24

I haven't had one that young before so not much help there, welcome to the team though Big Grin
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 29 2011, 13:28

far out.. I have been on this forum alot haven't I !!!!

.. if people didn't keep posting all these gorgeous and adorable photos of their gorgeous and adorable doggies.... and didn't keep asking all these amazing questions.. I might get some chores done around the house !!! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Apr 29 2011, 13:30

vanessa wrote:far out.. I have been on this forum alot haven't I !!!!

.. if people didn't keep posting all these gorgeous and adorable photos of their gorgeous and adorable doggies.... and didn't keep asking all these amazing questions.. I might get some chores done around the house !!! Laughing

I think we're all a little like that Laughing
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy Fri Apr 29 2011, 13:38

I wouldn't surely the puppy food is complete.I'd only use a supplement if my dog had a known deficiently.
Staffy
Staffy
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
calcium powder for pups Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Tilly.
Dog Gender(s) : Female.
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Fri Apr 29 2011, 13:44

I wouldn't mess with the balance of a complete food. (Also - calcium is a strange thing to supplement a puppy with. After being weaned from their mothers milk, puppies don't have a very high calcium intake - they don't even eat as much bone as adult dogs since they don't have the teeth or jaw muscles to deal with it.. )
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 29 2011, 14:38

I don't put any on harvey's food, and i wouldn't want to mess about with it, as i know alot of animals can overdose on vitamins etc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 00:55

I wouldn't add anything to his food. If you're feeding a commercial dry food then it's all in there, and if you're feeding raw, it's all in there!

It's only if you're feeding table scraps solely that you need a supplement, or if your dog is doing something really strenuous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 02:10

I will be feeding him dry biscuits.. tinned food and also a polony type roll.. all puppy ones.
I guess I just worry that you hear all these horror stories that what manufacturers claim to put in their food... well sometimes they lie!! ( whether it be human or pet food! )
Boy I am turning into an overprotective mum already, and we haven't even got him yet ( But I know I certainly am with Jethro !! Love Struck )

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sat Apr 30 2011, 08:28

Vannessa Ive only herd bad reports of tinned dog food that the quality is poor and there are many additives ive read this on another dog site.
This made sence when someone posted that the drug used to put animals down was found in comercial tinned dog food. That made sence to me as having horses when there life has ended you have to dispose of the body and the one that we use has the nasty name of the meat man.
He will come and take the carcas away and dispose of it and the vet once said depending on the way of uthinasure it would go to animal food?
In england you would probly pay about 65 pence for a small tin of dog food and you can buy a packet of mince for about a pound so I feed that together with a good quality kibble Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 08:34

thanks everyone.
Yeah I don't think I will give the puppy anything extra then. I just compared the difference between Jethro's senior food and the puppy's according to what is written on the packaging, and there is a massive difference in ingredients etc.. so hopefully they aren't lying !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down