Stalking other dogs..

2 posters

Go down

Stalking other dogs.. Empty Stalking other dogs..

Post by Rachel33 Wed Oct 16 2013, 11:57

I have been working really hard with mixing Biscuit, and she now has a few dog friends to play with regularly. Where as she used to bark, growl and lunge at any unknown dogs, now that she has gained a little bit of confidence that they're not all bad, she has now started stalking them! She used to do this with cyclists but I managed to train her out of it and we've got a pretty solid "watch me" in place now. Pretty sure I've got a Collie in a Staffy body!

I'm trying to catch her attention before she sees them and asking for a sit/watch me but once she has seen the dog nothing can distract her, not even cheese!! She'll lie flat on the floor and hard stare at them, and then try to chase once they've gone past. She does this with Jed, her Lab friend, and just plays once she gets to him, so I think it might be her funny little way of playing, but I obviously can't really practise on random publics dogs as she is selective with other dogs with no real preference for any breed or size.

Have any of you guys got any experience with this? Any training tips?
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Stalking other dogs.. Empty Re: Stalking other dogs..

Post by Kathy Wed Oct 16 2013, 12:40

Yes, Rocky does this too when he sees any dog approach that he isn't sure off. I try to block his view so he cannot stare back at the dog as this is seen by a dog as a challenge. Try to distract with a treat or toy if possible and get her to sit until the other dog has gone past.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Oct 16 2013, 14:43

Ah, glad I'm not the only one! She was really good on her walk just then, met a Spaniel and a pup really well, not that I had much choice as their owner was off in the wilderness! I usually block her view as she's a big wimp really and would probably wet herself if a dog started with her, so challenging them isn't the brightest thing to do! Silly thing!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down