Back to square one.....

3 posters

Go down

Back to square one..... Empty Back to square one.....

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14 2013, 13:21

well I thought I was just starting to turn the corner with beau in trying to getting on better with other males,we had a great walk in our local woods meeting a few dogs and about 500 yards from home he gets attacked by a big lurcher type dog such a shame he had a great night and then spoiled by another owner who cant control their dog dread to think what would've happened if phoebe was there] so I am actually kicking this thing to try and get it away and would it stop not a chance while its owner didn't have the guts to do anything about it and although he was full of sorrys once he got a hold of his dog I was raging.. so out this morn[ now with a stick] as usuall with beau and phoebe and the 3 other dogs beau seen[at a distance] he went beserk,seems to be a losing battle for us I have to armed with a stick when going out with dogs.. seems to more of a chore nowadays...I no the answer is to stick at it but I have a four month old who watching everthing that's goin on and don't want her to think its the way to be with other dogs she goes to puppy class herself once a week and is doing fine.. hopefully the next few days beau will get back to where he was at...

Back to top Go down

Back to square one..... Empty Re: Back to square one.....

Post by Hargar Mon Oct 14 2013, 14:50

Hope the stick is to hit the stupid owners.

Hargar
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Back to square one..... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 1year
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by yeahbut Mon Oct 14 2013, 15:26

Will a stick definitely help? I mean, I completely agree with you - the other owner is an idiot. However, dogs do make mistakes sometimes. And yes, when it happens, it's always the owner's fault, not the dog's. I, too, have not got my dog on lead quite quick enough in the past and once or twice there has been an embarrassing scene, as you describe, which has needed grovelling apologies. (For some reason, Douglas doesnt like male black labs). Am I the only one with this guilty secret? If the other person had beaten my dog with a stick that would have been truly horrific and I would not have taken kindly to that at all. Also, as someone said on another thread recently - staffies may not always start a fight, but they sure know how to finish them. So, if while fairly defending himself, your dog actually damages the other dog (requiring vet treatment) and you are seen also beating that other dog with a stick, that may not look too good to any bystanders or witnesses. So from one staffie owner to another, I really sympathise with the problem, but would be a bit worried about beating the other dog with a stick.

yeahbut

Status Status :

Support total : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14 2013, 15:44

Ah no, we've had the same problem really and lost our nerve for quiet a while. Now we also walk with a stick but it's more for our peace of mind as opposed to intending to use it. It gives us a false sort of confidence.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanota Mon Oct 14 2013, 16:27

It's not the first time I've heard this! And it doesn't matter who started the fight, if there is a staffy, it will always be his fault or their owners!
I have also had myself a few words with some people in the park.
Nanota
Nanota
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nana
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14 2013, 17:22

ok.. let me start off by saying that beau is no angel as anybody who has read any of my recent posts am sure will no, he has also had his fair share of starting trouble which i work very hard to keep to a minimum[ he does not get on with collies or other staffys] also can I remind people I have a 4month pup who if she had been caught by this dog god knows what would've happened I as a staffy owner take it on myself to make sure I do all possible to avoid confrontation i cant do any more can i? let me also say i will be carrying and if need be will use a stick from now on and this stereotypical' a staffie might not start a fight but will no how to finish it' does not wash with me m8 i'd rather go that bit further and not start it.. i do too much work with beau not try. eye contact body lanuague are all worked on and he is getting better we walk along way to give him that 10 mins in a remote area off lead and he loves it i don't mind they deserve it when the respond to you.does all this make me a bad owner? then am sorry that's me and you are entitled like me to your opinion..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14 2013, 18:12

If you feel more comfortable with your stick you are less likely to transmit anxiety to Beau so it will be better for both of you biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post by yeahbut Mon Oct 14 2013, 18:48

Hello solhiem, was that rant directed at me? Well, no, i think you are a very good owner. I am on your side (m8). All I'm saying is that if you beat someone else's dog with a stick, they may well not like that very much. They may even take the stick off you and use it on you instead. I'm not condoning that, it is not what I would do, and I do not recommend it in any way. I am simply saying that other owners may not just stand idly by while you beat their dogs with a stick. I hope you dont take this the wrong way, Im sure you're a wonderful person.  As has been said previously, if just having a stick makes you feel more confident, then a greater sense of calm will surely be transmitted to your dog and that will be a good thing. Ok m8.

yeahbut

Status Status :

Support total : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15 2013, 12:52

hi yeahbut..let me firstly say that my comments were not directed at you personally but to the forum in general but I do see why you might think that. I just believe every owner has her/his to take responsabilty for their dogs actions as I do for mine. my dog could've been hurt I cant just stand by and watch I am sure you as a staffy owner wouldn't have either.. but fair enough you wouddn't do the same. and as you said earlier what if beau had gotten hold of this thing? if I can stop that happening that's far better..anyway I appreciate your input on this because this is what this forum is all about..

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down