Puppy problem

3 posters

Go down

Puppy problem Empty Puppy problem

Post by Rexxy Tue Oct 08 2013, 22:09

Hi all. Just registered here for a bit of advice. I've just got an 8 week old staff, and he's generally not much of a biter of humans, he actually does more damage to us accidentally with his claws than his teeth!

Anyway I'm a bit concerned about his behaviour with our other pup (nearly 11 months old) he tends to try and bully him, constantly aggressively taking his toys off him growling as he does so and sometimes tries to go for him at the same time. Biggest problem with that is the older pup won't defend himself, like at all. He just sits there and takes the abuse because he's got the softest nature ever. Is the 8 week old just being a playful puppy with the growling? I'm just confused because he doesn't try to bite humans much but he doesn't think twice about starting on the older pup. It doesn't even seem playful to me (but that could be because I'm just worrying) I know he's only 8 weeks but like I said before I can tell he knows it's wrong to bite humans as everytime he does we either say no or make a yelp sound and he literally runs off and sulks for a bit.

Thank you to anybody who replies.

Rexxy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Puppy problem Empty Re: Puppy problem

Post by Sazzle Tue Oct 08 2013, 22:12

Hi and welcome, when you get chance come and say hi Smile 

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

I'm afraid I don't have any experience of this to help but other members will have Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 08 2013, 23:51

It certainly sounds like normal puppy play. I don't suppose you can get a video of it, just to make sure? The growling is also a normal way for a pup to play with another dog.

Your older dog is reacting in a lovely, controlled way & You should be proud of his patience with the little newcomer. If he was unhappy with it I'm sure he'd tell the pup in no uncertain terms!

Welcome to The forum, by the way - what are your dogs' names?

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBubbleBoy Tue Oct 08 2013, 23:58

It's normal, as the puppy grows a bit older the elder dog will start to interact a big more and become more playful with him.

Nothing to be concerned about the puppy is learning and the elder of the dogs will correct the puppy when needed as it gets a bit older, at the minute it he knows its only a baby and will allow it to get away with alot. This will change trust me, we have just be through all this with ours.
Let nature take its course and as long as your on hand to stop things getting too heated they'll be fine.
Hope this helps
BlueBubbleBoy
BlueBubbleBoy
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blue Bubble Boy & Harley Boy
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months & 6 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down