Attention seeking!!!!!!

Go down

Attention seeking!!!!!! Empty Attention seeking!!!!!!

Post by Nuala Tue Oct 08 2013, 11:24

I think I have tried everything but maybe you lot might have some alternative ideas/advice. I live on my own with Thistle (apart from two cats)so she is very demanding of my attention. She has learn't to play on her own and amuse herself so she isn't completely dependent on me all the time, the only issue I have is when I am on the phone or sat down at the computer, she barks at me and if that doesn't work she will nip me or launch herself at me and push me.
I have tried to ignore it but the barking is impossible when you are trying to have a phone conversation, and I won't tolerate the nipping, it still hurts although she is not biting me like she used to.
I have tried putting her in the kitchen out of the way, letting her out after a few minutes and sitting back down at the computer, or pretending I'm on the phone and if she continues the behaviour I continue the ritual until she gets the message, if that fails I put her in her crate. This works for a few minutes then she just can't resist she is at it again, at the moment while I am typing this she has been in the kitchen, then in the crate, now she is doing whatever she can to get my attention, grabbing cushions the odd bark and nip etc, now the rug because she knows that is a big NO! but it is still attention, whether it is negative or positive, do I continue on this vein until she gives in and gets the message or does anyone out there have any ideas.

She is fed on jwb and gets lots of exercise before you ask :-)
Nuala
Nuala
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Thistle
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Attention seeking!!!!!! Empty Re: Attention seeking!!!!!!

Post by Guest Tue Oct 08 2013, 13:56

I would say she is going through the testing you stage, I think you need to just keep at what you are doing, maybe keep a treat in your hand and tell her "quiet" as soon as she stops treat her.
I am not that experienced but its worth a try and we all know they probably will do anything for a yummy treat. Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Tue Oct 08 2013, 19:05

Lol, yes she will continue to bark because she will then get treated for it, been there before, but thanks anyway :-)
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 08 2013, 19:11

staffies are very testing as pups, and will continue to push boundaries!

Just keep doing what your doing, you need to be consistent, so choose once approach and stick to it, I would personally remove her form the room for a 'time out' and only when she is quiet or calm then let her back in.

Also do you use anything like a kong or similar to stuff and keep her busy, while your busy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Tue Oct 08 2013, 20:21

Thanks ella, yes I do the time out, sometimes works sometimes doesn't, I don't really want to give her anything when I'm on the phone or computer, she has all her toys to play with, it's me that she wants, and she can't have me 24/7 she doesn't have any seperation anxiety as she is left when I go to work with the run of the downstairs, no problems, I only work part time the most I'm out is 4 hours
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 08 2013, 20:47

you are not being consistant so she doesnt have a clue whats going on, in her eyes making you get up and put her in the cage is attention. you need to totally ignore until she gets it! you should also start leaving her in the kitchen for periods alone, say 10 mins a day up to 15 up to 30 so you boke get a break

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Wed Oct 09 2013, 15:40

Thistle does have time on her own when I am at work, and if I go out in the evenings, how am I not being consistent? consistently putting her in a room on her own if she starts to bark or nip me while I'm on the phone, and the odd occaision that she 'gets it' she's allowed to stay in the room with me and is praised.
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down