Please talk to me about slip leads....

+4
Kell
Staffy lover
janey
Pebbles
8 posters

Go down

Please talk to me about slip leads.... Empty Please talk to me about slip leads....

Post by Pebbles Thu Oct 03 2013, 09:46

Pebbles is still a puppy so a slip lead is out of the question at the moment.
However she is a puller and already at 3 months old after a 20 minutes walk my arm is sore from constantly holding her back.
We use a small dog harness on her and despite our best efforts in the last four weeks her lead training hasn't really improved. As soon as she sees a human or dog and human she goes crazy and wants to go to them and so she pulls and pulls and is set in a one track mind. No amount of treat or trying to get her attention seems to work raised eyebrows 

So someone at work who has a big male staffy which used to be a puller, told me that the best tool to stop this was a basic slip lead. He said when used correctly (he mentioned the lead has to be put in the right way) that it's ok to use them and it's not as bad as people think because it gives a quick correction on the side of the neck instead of the throat. He seemed very pro slip lead if you see what I mean Wink  while I just nodded.

So are slip leads the answer? or are they to be avoided?

Thanks.

Pebbles
Pebbles
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pebbles
Dog(s) Ages : 20 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Please talk to me about slip leads.... Empty Re: Please talk to me about slip leads....

Post by janey Thu Oct 03 2013, 09:52

I am not a fan personally, training gets them to walk well full stop, if you wanted to use a lead a halti would be better, never had to myself the stop start method worked for us Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Please talk to me about slip leads.... Empty Re: Please talk to me about slip leads....

Post by Staffy lover Thu Oct 03 2013, 09:58

Not a fan of those either. We have been lucky with Pixee, she is good on the lead. However if she does pull, I just say whoa and she slows down. Or if that does not work, I just stop walking and say heel. And walk again.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Thu Oct 03 2013, 10:03

The stop -start method is this when the dog pulls you stop until she is calm?
We are doing this and even changing directions to show her she needs to follow us but it's not working. She will sit when we stop and then after 2 metres she pulls again and it's like this for the whole walk. Not fun at all Sad 

Also she jumps and pulls even harder until she coughs harshly when she sees someone because she wants to go there.

I know she is still a pup but instead of getting better as the days go on the lead training is getting worse.

Don't know what to do anymore.
Pebbles
Pebbles

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 03 2013, 10:04

Not my cup of tea either, like janey said good training will get them to walk well Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 03 2013, 10:50

Sounds like you are doing well, try holding a treat to her nose so she can sniff it then proceed to walk a few paces with it held up in your hand.
After a few secs get her to sit and treat, do this all the time and slowly increase the length of time she walks.
It may help it worked with Vinnie, we learnt it at puppy class. Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 03 2013, 10:52

Not a fan of slip leads, i ave a friend who uses one for her lurcher cause shes a monster but the sounds she makes when walking is awful, im nearly sure she stops pulling cause she is about to faint.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Thu Oct 03 2013, 12:17

As above, I'm not a fan of them at all. Training is hard work, and it takes time and lots of consistency to get it to work, however the benefits for you and your dog are well worth it.

Keep at the training Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by possle Thu Oct 03 2013, 15:16

I've found walking in lots of different directions help.
Hold her close to you, whe she pulls, walk a different way and keep doing it for so long on walks.

possle
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Tilly
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Thu Oct 03 2013, 16:22

Had another disastrous walk with Pebbles this afternoon Sad 
Had an encounter where another dog was in front of us (off the lead) and Pebbles started pulling like a train until the dog came close and snarled at her before following us and barking while Pebbles was jumping all over the place and nearly tripped me up in the process.
I had to ask the other dog's owner to call her dog back! She had a pram with her and was texting on her phone instead of watching her dog.
I used to thing dog walking was going be fun but it's becoming a chore.

Pebbles
Pebbles

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 03 2013, 16:42

I would try and use a front fastening harness or a halti/canny collar before even thinking of a slip.

If you do progress on to a check of any sort, please don't use a slip lead! Use a check chain attached to a good quality leather or webbing lead. If you want to use a check chain, please read through the following before you even buy one.......

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t3292-check-chains-how-to-use-them#52018

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Thu Oct 03 2013, 17:08

Taking notes of every reply here thank you Smile 

So the next step would be a front clipped harness? Any good ones on the market that anyone can recommend for a puppy?

I wouldn't go ahead and put a slip lead on a pup but i feel we need something else then what we have now which is a soft stretching (so called) anti-pull harness at the moment but it clips at the back so when she jumps and pulls it is useless because it doesn't restrict her movements.

Last edited by Pebbles on Thu Oct 03 2013, 17:09; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad typing! ;))
Pebbles
Pebbles

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Oct 03 2013, 17:17

At the end of the day remember Pebbles is still a puppy, I am guessing walks are very new as the jabs will only just have been done, have patience, the stop start method works but takes time, doesn't happen over night hun.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Thu Oct 03 2013, 19:12

Not meaning to sound horrible - but put it round your neck and get someone to hold it and then pull...

They are horrible in my opinion and can cause so much damage to the throat and neck.

rescuestaffords
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Please talk to me about slip leads.... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Oct 03 2013, 19:31

Never used a slip lead either and never would tbh. We found that a Halti worked well for Rocky and we have also used the Canny Collar both with success for walking on a clip lead.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 03 2013, 19:34

rescuestaffords wrote:Not meaning to sound horrible - but put it round your neck and get someone to hold it and then pull...

They are horrible in my opinion and can cause so much damage to the throat and neck.
They should only ever be used as a last resort, and then only for training (short periods of about 5 minutes at a time) and used properly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Thu Oct 03 2013, 22:19

As I said I am not about to use a slip lead on my pup. It was only suggested to me by a colleague and i wanted to get people opinions.
So no I am not going to put one round my neck and pull. raised eyebrows 
Pebbles
Pebbles

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 04 2013, 11:34

Pebbles wrote:
So no I am not going to put one round my neck and pull. raised eyebrows 
Laughing Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Fri Oct 04 2013, 14:10

Caryll wrote:I would try and use a front fastening harness or a halti/canny collar before even thinking of a slip.

If you do progress on to a check of any sort, please don't use a slip lead! Use a check chain attached to a good quality leather or webbing lead. If you want to use a check chain, please read through the following before you even buy one.......

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t3292-check-chains-how-to-use-them#52018
Love your avatar Caryll. Very true and amusing.Laughing 
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down