ardvark
Cornish-Muscle
janey
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Check Chains & How to Use Them Empty Check Chains & How to Use Them

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01 2011, 12:07

I know a few of you hate check chains, and I totally respect your views, but I saw someone in the park today 'using' a check chain & getting no results whatsoever because they were doing it all wrong! So, as there are chains for sale in every pet shop, and people will buy them & try to use them, I thought I'd do a post on how to use them safely & effectively.

Firstly, a couple of things to remember.......
1. A check chain should only ever be used for training, and even then only for short periods. It should never replace a normal collar or harness.
2. Technique & timing are everything.
3. Only ever use one that is just strong enough for your dog & never use the ones with huge links like manacles linked together - they don't work!

When you buy a chain, take your dog with you & choose a chain that just goes over your dog's head. Any bigger & he'll duck out of it & you'll lose effectiveness, any smaller and.........well, it won't go on! Laughing

Learn to put it on properly. Your dog must always walk on one side of you. For the sake of argument, let's say the left hand side. When the chain is on your dog & he is on your left, the end you clip the lead to should come from the top of your dog's neck like this.....
Check Chains & How to Use Them Checkchain

That way, as soon as you release pressure on the lead the collar will slacken.

Once you have the collar on the correct way round, make sure that it is positioned at the top of your dog's neck, just behind the ears.

Put your dog into the sit position by your side & give gentle praise. Hold the lead in your right hand with the lead across your body & slack.

Tell your dog to 'heal' (or whichever command you want to use), tap your left thigh & start to walk forward smartly, & if your dog does not immediately follow give a quick jerk on the lead. The collar should tighten momentarily & your dog should move forward. As soon as your dog moves forward, the collar will automatically loosen.

As you move forward, any time your dog starts to pull ahead, give your chosen command & immediately jerk the lead with your right hand so that your dog's head is pulled towards you and he will be drawn back to your side. Give gentle praise "Good boy heal".

As your dog becomes used to the forward heal work, start to introduce the right turn. As you are walking along, say your dog's name and "heal", turn smartly at right angles to the right and give the lead a quick jerk, so that the dog follows you & walks by your side again. Quiet praise.

Try to leave your left hand free to praise and encourage, and always walk with a loose lead so that you do not tighten the chain by accident.

Don't forget that not all dogs respond well to a check chain & if you notice that your dog becomes fearful or apprehensive then stop using it immediately.

Keep training sessions with a chain down to about 3 or 4 minutes to start with & build up to a maximum of 10 minutes.

Last edited by Caryll on Fri Feb 24 2012, 12:32; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Check Chains & How to Use Them Empty Re: Check Chains & How to Use Them

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01 2011, 14:40

Fantastic post caryll, as ive said before if used correctly check chains can work wonders thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Mar 01 2011, 15:36

Great post Caryll thumbs up
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Tue Mar 01 2011, 18:16

Great post Caryll!
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01 2011, 18:48

Great post and as per usual great advice Caryll thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Thu Jul 07 2011, 22:10

Hi, just saw this from your other posts' link - thanks really interesting. Would you recommend this on a 6 1/2 month old staff. that the other techniques are not working on? I walk Milo out everyday but I am increasingly traveling (now I realise) going to places where I can let him off the lead asap (he's very good off of the lead). That said there is always generally a period of walking on the lead to get to our destination and it's really getting me down.

I noticed ages ago he'd pull more when the children were ahead either walking or on bikes so always made them go behind but he still pulls hard Crying or Very sad
ardvark
ardvark
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Check Chains & How to Use Them Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07 2011, 22:20

A check chain won't stop a dog from pulling.

I know that sounds contradictory, but what I mean is, it should only ever be used for short periods of training, not for general walking.

Have you tried the suddenly turning the other way every time he starts to pull? I know it'll take you ages to get anywhere, but pretty soon your dog'll begin to watch you for the direction change and therefore won't pull on the lead. It will take a while, though.

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Fri Jul 08 2011, 22:42

Caryll wrote:A check chain won't stop a dog from pulling.

I know that sounds contradictory, but what I mean is, it should only ever be used for short periods of training, not for general walking.

Have you tried the suddenly turning the other way every time he starts to pull? I know it'll take you ages to get anywhere, but pretty soon your dog'll begin to watch you for the direction change and therefore won't pull on the lead. It will take a while, though.

Hi, read and understood. When I do it I have to literally pull him in the direction I've changed to AND call him yet he is so responsive off of the lead (not to heal though) It's almost like he's going 'no, no, no wrong direction' in a realyy confused way. Persistence it is then. Would it be wise to let him run free then do the heal training? It's normally as bad on the way back as he is there though usually!

He came to us with a huge thick (wide) lurcher collar which we are wondering gives him more ease to lean into iykwim? Is there a collar/harness or such you wouyld recommend that may help us with the training?

Thanks Smile
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 08 2011, 23:11

I would use either a flat leather collar (no wider than one & a half inches, preferably 1 inch) or a half-check, same width. Wide collars give you no control whatsoever!

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Fri Jul 08 2011, 23:30

Smile cool thanks will have to get onto it. The pulling is rather spoiling our otherwise fantastic relationship I have to say :0/
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kris82 Sat Jul 09 2011, 09:27

i heard that a halti is great for a staffy and other dogs aspecially when training for walking or distractions. I used one for my mix breed dog and it did wonders and am planing on getting one for coco when shes a bit bigger. Smile
kris82
kris82
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : coco
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09 2011, 10:14

vanessa wrote:One thing with check collars is to never leave them on your dog if you aren't there. There was a vet show on here a while back, and the dog had tried to leap out an open window and the choke chain got caught on something. He didn't die, but came close...

A check chain should only ever be used for training & shouldn't be left on at any other time, even if the dog is in the same room as you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09 2011, 10:40

Great post Caryll thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Tue Mar 27 2012, 10:45

Is it okay to use a half check collar in the same manner and can a half check collar be left on in the house at all times?

I know some people take collars off in the house adn when playing, so don't see why a half check collar would be any different?

I was looking at something like this:

CLICK HERE

Gee

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 10:53

I wouldn't advise leaving a collar on in the house all of the time. It can get caught on something and potentially injure the dog. I believe they can be used in the same manner but I would still keep it to short training sessions and not use it for an entire walk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz Tue Mar 27 2012, 10:59

Gee wrote:Is it okay to use a half check collar in the same manner and can a half check collar be left on in the house at all times?

I know some people take collars off in the house adn when playing, so don't see why a half check collar would be any different?

CLICK HERE

I use something similar to this for Taz - it does work Ok for her, and only being part check, it doesn't pinch her or have a hazard of choking -but I rarely collar her up in the house or garden as I'm always with her - generally only when I'm expecting visitors:)
Taz
Taz

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : 'lil Miss Taz Devil Demoania ~ TAZ
Dog(s) Ages : 31:05:2011
Dog Gender(s) : She's a lady, a tinker, a beauty, an a real b!tch
Support total : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:04

Hmm.

Troy's collar is basically on 24/7 and I have never had an issue. I can't really think of how he would hurt himself in the room I leave him when I am out.

Maybe I should consider it and take it off when I am not home but leave it on when in my presence.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:06

Gee wrote:Is it okay to use a half check collar in the same manner and can a half check collar be left on in the house at all times?
CLICK HERE

Yes, you can use a half check for training.

I never leave any sort of collar on my dogs in the house. I've seen & heard of too many nasty accidents when they get caught up & you don't see it until it's too late. It would also start to rub the fur off the dog's neck after a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:08

We always take Suki's off in the house. We have push down type door handles she could get a collar stuck on and they can get into just about anything so we always err on the side of caution.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:11

Gee wrote:Hmm.

Troy's collar is basically on 24/7 and I have never had an issue. I can't really think of how he would hurt himself in the room I leave him when I am out.

Maybe I should consider it and take it off when I am not home but leave it on when in my presence.

I think the view is that when unsupervised, they might get caught on something when they are being adventurous and not be able to release themselves - I occasionally place bandanna on her in the house & when I pick up her collar she will go and sit by the door for her walk Smile
Taz
Taz

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:17

Gee wrote:Hmm.Troy's collar is basically on 24/7 and I have never had an issue. I can't really think of how he would hurt himself in the room I leave him when I am out.

Believe me, they can get caught on so many things - door handles, even the dog's own claws if he starts to scratch his neck. Once caught, the dog cannot release itself & will usually panic - resulting in possibly serious injury, maybe even death.

Why leave it on at all, even when you're there?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:21

Guess I'll start taking it off! Smile

Does that half check collar I linked look okay?

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:24

Yes, looks a nice collar. I don't know how effective the all-material ones are, I've only ever used a tape/chain half check like this...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Softex-Check-Adjustable-Collar-50cms/dp/B0059GGCA2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1332843836&sr=8-6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:26

Looks okay to me. We usually walk with a harness and collar. The harness is used most of the time but if we are coming up to an area where we want to be able to control Suki's head we clip the lead onto the collar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:31

Gee wrote:Guess I'll start taking it off! Smile

Does that half check collar I linked look okay?

they are Ok , I found with some, you have to be sure of the plastic fastenings as the strength of a pull will snap them easily and then you have a dog to catch - The one I use isn't quite as much check as the one Caryll posted Smile
Taz
Taz

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:36

Taz wrote: The one I use isn't quite as much check as the one Caryll posted Smile

The trick is to adjust the material part of the collar so that the two ends don't quite meet. That way when you tug on the collar it will tighten & be a little uncomfortable, but won't choke.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:43

dont like chains especialy the full check ones. we have the half check i think that is enough. dont like chain colllars or leads. the collars arent nice and the leads hurt your hands any way

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:45

Okay cool.

I prefer the look of the material type check collars to be honest. I know that is no basis to make a selection on when it comes to correction tools but if they do the same job, I'd prefer it.

Troy is wonderful to walk on a morning when it is quiet, hardly had to correct him at all this morning! Some better control over him with a half check collar for those excitable times could benefit us though.

I in know way think this will solve all our problems, but some assistance never hurt.

Caryll wrote:
Taz wrote: The one I use isn't quite as much check as the one Caryll posted Smile

The trick is to adjust the material part of the collar so that the two ends don't quite meet. That way when you tug on the collar it will tighten & be a little uncomfortable, but won't choke.

I'll keep this in mind when fitting!

Last edited by Gee on Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:48; edited 1 time in total

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:47

_julie_ wrote:dont like chains especialy the full check ones. we have the half check i think that is enough. dont like chain colllars or leads. the collars arent nice and the leads hurt your hands any way

That's why I use a softex half check & a softex lead! Easier on the hands and the dog's neck!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:50

Caryll wrote:
_julie_ wrote:dont like chains especialy the full check ones. we have the half check i think that is enough. dont like chain colllars or leads. the collars arent nice and the leads hurt your hands any way

That's why I use a softex half check & a softex lead! Easier on the hands and the dog's neck!

The chain can hurt at times if you need to shorten the length, but I don't have much of a problem. I understand what you mean about using another material for the lead. The GF would be angry if I went out and bought another lead after she bought the chain one! it wasnt me

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:51

Im off to get skye a new collar today as she has calmed down alot and is starting to not need the harness as shes walking to heal most of the time and her collar is a thick leather one so not much control in it
Both mine have their collars off in the house and only put on when we go out
I used check chains for my gsds and haltis and when used properly they are brill
Good bit of info there Caryll just a shame when you see check chains on dogs they dont always have them on correctly
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:53

Gee wrote:The chain can hurt at times if you need to shorten the length, but I don't have much of a problem. I understand what you mean about using another material for the lead. The GF would be angry if I went out and bought another lead after she bought the chain one! it wasnt me

I think I'd prefer a bollocking from the oh to a sore hand from the chain! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:55

1. A check chain should only ever be used for training, and even then only for short periods. It should never replace a normal collar or harness.

Can a half check be used for all occassions indefinately?

I think I'd prefer a bollocking from the oh to a sore hand from the chain!

Not from my OH you wouldn't Laughing

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 11:59

Gee wrote:

Can a half check be used for all occassions indefinately?

Yes, but I would still not leave it on at home.

I think I'd prefer a bollocking from the oh to a sore hand from the chain!

Not from my OH you wouldn't Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Tue Mar 27 2012, 12:12

Could you advise on this please?

Can the type of collar I have linked, the material half check. Can it be used on all occassion indefinately rather than just training occassions?

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 12:16

Yes, because it isn't a full check. As long as it's adjusted properly it can't choke, it can only tighten just enough to give a small amount of discomfort which discourages pulling. Just make sure that when it's on, the ends of the neck strap are not quite touching - about an inch apart at the top of the neck. Then when the lead is loose the collar will loosen & sit comfortable near the base of the neck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Tue Mar 27 2012, 12:34

Thanks!

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 15:02

Really great advice Caryll. Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Mar 27 2012, 15:05

i would never use a choke chain I dont want to s

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Tue Mar 27 2012, 15:21

I'm considering a half choke chain which actually does not choke.

I like the idea of it also because it can be fittd high up on the neck behind the ears for better control and correction.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 15:39

Steve wrote:i would never use a choke chain I dont want to s

I know you won't, Steve. Nowadays neither would I. But I do use a half check - it doesn't choke.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Mar 27 2012, 15:51

why not use a normal collar or harness?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 15:54

I don't like harnesses - they don't give me enough control over the head & a flat collar isn't safe with Dempsey - he can get his head out of everything thinner than 3 inches wide. A half check is safe & humane.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Mar 27 2012, 15:59

i like harness you can lift them up without choking them...

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Tue Mar 27 2012, 18:25

LOL yeah you can lift them but you can't really turn them as such as the buckle on mine was at the rear. It kind of masked him pulling also, so it was only making the issue worse as he was getting rewarded for pulling (getting to where he wants in his head).

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Mar 27 2012, 18:39

What u lift your dont by the coller that a pretty evil thing to do if you ack me!!

with a harness you not choking the dog.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Mar 27 2012, 19:15

have to agree with Steve here. We had a couple of occasions with Rocky where he was thankfully wearing his harness that we can lift him out of harms way with. It is the Julius K9 IDC and has a specific handle just for this purpose.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Tue Mar 27 2012, 19:16

What? LOL

No I don't lift my dog by the collar. I have a harness too and you can lift them with the harness on but can't turn them effectively.

I correct my dog and turn him by the collar I do not lift him by his collar.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27 2012, 21:06

Steve wrote:i like harness you can lift them up without choking them...

I take it you mean if there's a problem with another dog? I would need a block & tackle to lift Dempsey! Surprised No, I wouldn't lift a dog by the collar - but I wouldn't even try to lift a dog out of harm's way, I wouldn't be able to lift high enough to stop the other dog from attacking from below!

I avoid trouble wherever possible. If trouble brews I turn Dempsey's head away. If that doesn't work I yell at the other owner & let Dempsey have his head!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Mar 27 2012, 21:11

when i take my sam out sometime not always we in a place where there not alot room and if a dog he doesn't is there aswell i have to lift him up but he still got his back legs on the ground. i wouldn't do that with a collar or choke chain.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down