Maria90
Bob R
Vicki29
10 posters

Go down

Ongoing Itching! Empty Ongoing Itching!

Post by Vicki29 Tue Oct 01 2013, 13:46

Hi People,

I have an 8 month old and since he was about 4 months he has been back and forth to the vets with terrible itching. It started with him gnawing his paws until they were red raw. To cut a very long story short the vet carried out blood tests for allergies and all came back negative except mould which was inconclusive. They checked him for mites and that was also clear. The vet said that the next step was to put him on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic for 6-8 weeks and not to give him any other food and see whether that improves the situation. He has now been on the Royal Canin for that long and he is now worse than ever. Not only is he gnawing at his paws he's scratching his chin and face to the point where he's bleeding and scabbing. His eats are a bit red on occasion but not too bad.

The vets has also tried the medicated wash and ear drops and nothing makes any difference.

I have just noticed that we have mushrooms/toadstools in our back garden and when I have been picking his poo up in the garden there is mould all over it, which leads me to believe it is highly likely to be an allergy to mould from our garden.

I have him booked in at the vets for Friday to have more bloods done to check for the mould allergy again.

I was wondering whether anyone else has come across this with their Staffy. The poor little softy is so sad with it and we seem to be making no progress. I have been giving him a Piriton tablet daily as recommended by the vet but it's not helping.

He is insured thank god, and I have been reading about the shots that can be administered once they find out what's causing it. Does anyone have any experience of these?

Thanks for any advice, it's depressing us all! Sad 

Vicki29
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jerry
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Ongoing Itching! Empty Re: Ongoing Itching!

Post by Guest Tue Oct 01 2013, 14:09

It's likely that it could be the mould - fungus spores are a very common allergen in both dogs and humans! I definitely think you've made the right decision in getting another test done for it. Hopefully, the tests will be conclusive this time.

One thing you can try in your garden is improving drainage and sun exposure. Fungi grow very well in damp areas away from the sun. If you have quite a cluttered garden, it might be worth shifting some things around to ensure that the sun can reach as much of the garden as possible.

Apple cider vinegar is a great fungicide as well! About 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with 1 gallon of water will make up a mild fungicide. You can increase it to 4 or 5 tablespoons for a stronger one. If you apply this to any patches of fungus you find, it should hopefully get rid of it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicki29 Tue Oct 01 2013, 14:19

Thanks Eleanor. I'm going to try the apple cidar vinegar. I've been looking online for treatments for the garden but can't find anything definitive. The strange thing is the garden is south facing and gets plenty of sun and it's a new build house so the lawn was only put down in May. I just don't know what I will do if the bloods come back negative for the mould. It's a mystery.

Thanks again for your advice.

Vicki29

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 01 2013, 14:28

I hope the tests clear things up for you! Let us know how it goes! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob R Fri Oct 04 2013, 21:12

My Zac [rip] had a similar issue although not so severe, for half his adult life. He would lick/gnaw at his paws and lower legs, scratch under his chin and the top of his head. His legs would be raw in patches and on two occasions he got infected under his chin, [they called it wet eczma]
He seemed to be worse in Summer time but we gave up on blood tests and found Piriton helped alot.
Is it possible to keep him out of the garden/off grass for a period of time?
Bob R
Bob R

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky - [pup]
Dog(s) Ages : Zac-15yrs RIP [avatar]
Dog Gender(s) : M
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Sat Oct 05 2013, 11:06

I hope Jerry is okay, and you can get the proper treatment to help him soon, let us know how he gets on x
Maria90
Maria90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Ongoing Itching! Empty Ongoing itching.......Demodex????????

Post by Vicki29 Tue Oct 15 2013, 18:51

Hi,

I'm after more advice please in the ongoing saga of my little Jerry's itching.  His paws are still a bit itchy but his face is now driving him mad.  We have been re-tested for mould allergy as his original test came back inconclusive.  Now the second test has come back negative so he's been back to the vets today and a different vet at the practice saw him.  She said to look at him it looks like Demodex which apparently is something staffys are prone to?  She recommends we pay £350 for a skin biopsy now.  Has anyone got any experience of Demodex?  I've looked online to see whether I can get anything that will help him?

Thanks,

Vicki

Vicki29

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15 2013, 19:39

Demodex can be confirmed by a simple skin scrape! It most certainly doesn't cost £350!

If a skin scrape is clear of mites then he doesn't have demodectic mange. Get a second opinion from a different vet practice!

In the meantime, remind me what you're feeding?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Oct 15 2013, 21:05

My goodness Surprised I cannot believe they wanted to charge you £350 to see if he has demodex, that is shocking. Daisy had demodex and all it take is simple skin scrape £10 at my vets! Definitely go to a different vets.
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15 2013, 21:07

Jees that's extortionate Surprised Darcy has had skin scraps and the cost around a tenner, time to change vets I think Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicki29 Wed Oct 16 2013, 08:47

They did a skin scrape and said there was nothing on it.  The £350 is for a skin biopsy where they take 3 bits of skin and apparently test for everything.  I think we are going to speak to the vet this morning to see if we can try the medicated wash for demodex.

He is on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic and has been for about 10 weeks. This is what the vet suggested we try in case it was a food allergy.

Vicki29

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Oct 16 2013, 08:57

A friend of mine had real problems with the royal canin food, her dog has allergies to all sorts also. As far as I've been informed piriton only works for 20-30% of dogs according to my vet so that may not be helping either. Have they offered steroids as a very short term option to help with the itching and make him a little more comfortable until you have more or a solution? Malaseb is an anti fungal wash too that may help with the itching.. Would need to be prescribed by your vet but it's all I use with my skin dogs in kennels. My own dog has a few minor skin issues and I use a soap free oatmeal shampoo and feel her a natural wet food diet so that I know exactly what she's eating, she's doing really well on it Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Oct 16 2013, 08:59

Cant they just do a simple skin scrap first?
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Oct 16 2013, 09:01

Sorry missed your other comment, think there are a few people on the forum that have experience with demodex, I've treated a few of my kennel dogs for it and took a little while but they got their whole coat back and were so much more comfortable soon after starting. The demodex wash smells like petrol though lol! What do you flea treat him with also? I was using frontline and Biscuit managed to get sarcoptic mange, really wiped her out! Only use advocate now Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicki29 Wed Oct 16 2013, 09:24

I use Frontline.  Maybe I should change that.  I have been looking online to see whether Demodex is always picked up on a skin scrape as the skin scrape he had yesterday didn't show anything up.  He has had the malaseb previously and it made no difference.  He's got the rings round his eyes as well.  Do insurance companies let you change vets halfway through diagnosis and claims? He's on the steroids at the minute but it's not a long term solution with him being so young. Plus they aren't making any difference.

Vicki29

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 16 2013, 10:19

Phone your insurance company and explain that you are not altogether happy with the way things are going & you want to get a second opinion, from a different vet practice.

If there are no mites on a skin scrape (and the scrape should be taken from one of the affected areas) then it isn't demodex. The vets may well want to do a biopsy to find out what else it may be, but it isn't demodex.

Does Jerry do ok on chicken/poultry in general? ie, does poultry suit his stomach or does it give him the runs?

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicki29 Wed Oct 16 2013, 10:51

To be honest I don't know if he does ok on poultry because the vet has told us not to give him any food at all other than the Royal Canin so that we could see whether it is a food allergy.

The skin scrape was taken from his eyebrow which is affected. It says online that it is possible for it not to show up on a skin scrape, especially when they only did one. I don't know what to do. I don't know whether to just go ahead with the £350 biopsy (which we can't really afford, even though you get it back it's paying it out in the first place) or whether to take him elsewhere for a second opinion? confused 

Vicki29

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 16 2013, 10:58

Honestly, I'd phone your insurance company. Most of them have vets they can refer you to for telephone advice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicki29 Wed Oct 30 2013, 09:45

My God, the saga continues. I'm really getting tired of this now. I have spoken to the insurance company who say that they recommend we follow the existing vets advice. The vet said that it looks like Demodex. I have spent many an hour looking into this and I have to say his symptoms are exactly the same as what is described online. The skin scrape was negative and we asked the vet if they could prescribe him the wash to clear demodex and they said no as they need lab test results to prescribe anything. So basically they are trying to push me down the route of the £350 skin biopsy. I can't help but feel they are trying to get as much money as they possibly can. I know we can claim the £350 back from the insurance but we still have to pay it in advance and we can't afford to be pulling that kind of money out. Plus it takes our insurance company months to give the money back.

The vet sold us some Advocate which apparently treats a variety of parasites and said to see how he goes on that. We put the first pipette on him on Sunday and it says do the next one in 4 weeks. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to see results. It is unbelievable that this has now been going on since June.

Vicki29

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30 2013, 10:11

Advocate is often effective with a mild attack of Demodex.

Generally it'll start to show signs in about 2-8 weeks, I think. But it can start to look a little worse before it gets better.Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicki29 Wed Oct 30 2013, 13:03

Thanks Caryll that's given me some hope. Big Grin 

Vicki29

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Oct 31 2013, 08:37

I use advocate monthly, and used the double dose when Biscuit had sarcoptic mange, alongside steroids and she stopped itching within 24 hours. But as your case sounds a little more complex it's likely to take a little longer!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Sat Nov 02 2013, 19:36

I would start him on a raw diet although I would say that because I have had such positive results with it. One thing that I find very good about it is that I can tell exactly how Rupert reacts to which food. Therefore - pork makes him a bit gassy an a chicken only diet makes him itchy. I love being able to vary it according to his weight and the season - for example when it starts getting colder and he seems to burn more energy.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicki29 Fri Nov 08 2013, 11:17

It seems to ease up a bit just bit just after we put the first Advocate on him, but it's now back and he's going hell for leather! It's another week before we can put the next pipette thing on him.

Vicki29

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Tue Nov 12 2013, 19:56

Thistle is on advocate for demodex, I also use a tea tree solution to ease her itching, she is due her next pipette in a week, I'm banking on it working because the lotion stinks, she does appear less itchy and there are no new bald patches.I was wondering if the Demodex is a pre cursor to her first season, she has started acting 'weird' and nesting, apparently stress can bring it on. she had a skin scrape, the vet did say it doesn't always show up on the first one, it did for her.....change your vet.
Nuala
Nuala
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Thistle
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by tracey0625 Fri Nov 15 2013, 19:39

My staffy has this very same oroblem and i sympathise. He has been on steroids for the last 3 months but has now stopped them in order for him to have his blood tests. Im really hoping they show what the problem is so i can get him sorted out because he also has scabs on his head etc

tracey0625
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by janmc Sun Nov 24 2013, 20:11

I know exactly how you feel I am distraught my puppy Lola is 4 months old and has been scratching for about 5 weeks. first vet told me that it was an infection and put her on antibiotics and the itching calmed down a little. Had a falling out with first vet as I didn't agree and have suspicions its demodex she has bald patches red ears and constanly scratching. New vet gave her an injection and told me that this would stop the itching within 24hrs if it was demodex scratching did not subside went back few days later and he gave her antibiotics and steroids after finishing these she has started to scratch again. back to vets tomorrow I am going to suggest a skin scrape. In the meantime I purchased a shampoo called Dermopt which is supposed to help but today she seems worse. I am so worried as her fur is becoming very patchy on her sides and her front legs and chest I feel like I am letting her down

janmc

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 4 months
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down