I live in a flat, am I taking him for toilet often enough ?

Go down

I live in a flat, am I taking him for toilet often enough ? Empty I live in a flat, am I taking him for toilet often enough ?

Post by izbeck Fri Sep 27 2013, 15:43

I rescued a staffy mid august (hes ten months old) ..he was great to start with, but recently when I leave him at home on his own he poos and pees in the flat.

I don't know whether it is out of spite, or he genuinely needs the toilet.

I walk him at 9.00, 4.00 and 7.00 the morning walk is an hour and the other are half an hour each. (this is an average day)

Also I have a small balcony which I dont mind him using, I leave it open when I go out, how do I train him to use that ?

-thanks, becky.

izbeck
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

I live in a flat, am I taking him for toilet often enough ? Empty Re: I live in a flat, am I taking him for toilet often enough ?

Post by Guest Fri Sep 27 2013, 16:05

Hi Becky and welcome to the forum.

When you get a moment why don't you come and introduce yourself here: https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

As for the toilet training, have you managed to catch him in the act when he is going in your flat so that you can pick him up and take him to the balcony? Also, is he alone between 9 and 4?

Back to top Go down

I live in a flat, am I taking him for toilet often enough ? Empty Re: I live in a flat, am I taking him for toilet often enough ?

Post by izbeck Fri Sep 27 2013, 16:17

Hey, will do. I'm just getting used to locating my self around the board. I have not caught him in the act, he only does it when I am out. I got out every day with out him but never longer than 3 - 4 hours.

So on a normal day I wake up, feed him, take him out..get myself and daughter ready..go out and come home about 3 - 4.

izbeck

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 27 2013, 17:02

It might be an idea to crate train him as they don't like to mess their beds biggrin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 27 2013, 17:24

Its possibly separation anxiety.

Back to top Go down

Post by izbeck Fri Sep 27 2013, 19:54

yeah - I'm thinking its separation anxiety. I spoke to my neighbour and he advised me to make little trips out without him before making big trips without him.

izbeck

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 27 2013, 19:55

That's a very good idea. Crate training also works a treat, does he currently have a crate?

Back to top Go down

Post by izbeck Fri Sep 27 2013, 20:03

No, I hadn't thought of getting one.

izbeck

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 28 2013, 00:25

izbeck wrote:I don't know whether it is out of spite, or he genuinely needs the toilet.

It most certainly isn't spite! Dogs don't think that way.

izbeck wrote:yeah - I'm thinking its separation anxiety. I spoke to my neighbour and he advised me to make little trips out without him before making big trips without him.
It does sound loike seperation anxiety & what your neighbour has sugested is a good idea. Start with just a minute & then gradually increase it little by little.

A crate could be an idea, but you'd need to get him used to it before leaving him in it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down