Is It Too Late To Crate Train Bruno ?

4 posters

Go down

Is It Too Late To Crate Train Bruno ?  Empty Is It Too Late To Crate Train Bruno ?

Post by Bruno311210 Fri Apr 22 2011, 13:19

We have had Bruno now for 9 weeks this sunday, he has had run of downstairs, i.e. the lounge and kitchen, Is it too late to crate train ?

We went shopping this morning and came back, Bruno had got on a dining room chair pulled most of the stuff off the table including my OH medication, (He's Diabetic) and now we have 1 tablemat between four of us.

Any Advice Would Be Very Grateful xx

Bruno311210
Bruno311210
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Is It Too Late To Crate Train Bruno ?  Empty Re: Is It Too Late To Crate Train Bruno ?

Post by janey Fri Apr 22 2011, 13:22

I haven't ever crate trained but no its not too late at all. Smile Naughty Bruno!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Is It Too Late To Crate Train Bruno ?  Empty Re: Is It Too Late To Crate Train Bruno ?

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22 2011, 13:26

Its never to late to crate train just as long as you approach the whole situation with training him calming and not to rush into thing, Its easily enough to crate train you just pop all his blankets toys and you can even feed him his food in there as well and adventually he is going to love, If you cover the crate so its more like tent he should love it even more, Also no giving him a row while he is in his crate, his crate its his time his space and no one and nothing like another dog should go in there so he feel its secure and his. Sooner or later he is going to love it, Please if he has ate medication please take him to the vet or something.

Also the crate should be big enough for him to stand with head up and a complete 36 and spread out like he would any other time, I think it'll be important no to shove the crate somewhere he is not used and don't exclude him too his crate from things like the evening watch of tele and cuddles on the sofa or what ever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Fri Apr 22 2011, 13:34

Thank you Smile After his breakfast for some reason last few days he has taken to going in his crate and going to sleep, during the day he will wonders in and out of it, he also goes in there when he's got something that he should have or he hides things in there.This is the crate he was born in too Smile

Thankfully he didn't eat the medication. My OH has check him medication and its all there Smile
Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22 2011, 14:47

MissRogue wrote:Its never to late to crate train just as long as you approach the whole situation with training him calming and not to rush into thing, Its easily enough to crate train you just pop all his blankets toys and you can even feed him his food in there as well and adventually he is going to love, If you cover the crate so its more like tent he should love it even more, Also no giving him a row while he is in his crate, his crate its his time his space and no one and nothing like another dog should go in there so he feel its secure and his. Sooner or later he is going to love it, Please if he has ate medication please take him to the vet or something.

Also the crate should be big enough for him to stand with head up and a complete 36 and spread out like he would any other time, I think it'll be important no to shove the crate somewhere he is not used and don't exclude him too his crate from things like the evening watch of tele and cuddles on the sofa or what ever.

The only thing I would add to this is I think it's a mistake to feed them in their crates - food can get dropped in there & missed & it could go rotten resulting in maggots or a bad stomach.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22 2011, 15:26

The only reason i didn't put that Caryll is because i clean/sweep mine out daily well in the night before bed anyways other wise they'd be lying on everything they'v chewed up and be uncomfortable lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22 2011, 15:40

My boy's crate is his bed/den, but not his eating place. He's VERY messy with his food, so I'd have to wash not only the crate but all his blankets daily otherwise. As it is, I just shake them out & give the floor of the crate a wipe over.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22 2011, 16:01

yes I can vouch it is never too late.
After Jethro went berserk in the canopy of our ute and shredded..chewed.. destroyed everything he could including all the wiring for our car fridge AND the light, I ordered a large crate. ( well the only other option was a divorce!! ) We put his blankets and toys in it and now when he goes in the back of the ute.. he races into his crate! He is happy in there.. and we have piece of mind..phew! He was about 11 years old at this stage!

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Fri Apr 22 2011, 16:41

I am going to start crate training tomorrow morning Smile

His Crate is big enough to fit a full size rottie in Smile think it is the biggest you can get.

Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Fri Apr 22 2011, 23:21

No crate training is a good idea and keeps the dog safe while your not there plus saves you from damage.
Its never too late they are clever dogs and adjust to changes very easily if introduced slowely and positively.
I dont have a crate mine have been angel they have never done any damage but I would use one definatly if I had too Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Sat Apr 23 2011, 06:30

Thank you Big Grin

He started table dancing, we don't know how he gets on it because the chairs in all tucked in under the table but he still manages to get on it. so crate training here we come Big Grin
Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayne Thu May 05 2011, 19:26

Ive had my Ronson for 8 months now, he's never done any damage at all (except a box of chocolates at xmas!), got home yesterday & he'd eaten one of the drawer fronts in the kitchen??!!!!!. he was only on his own for an hour. today I was out for 2 hours, worrying what I would be coming home to & he'd had a go at the next drawer! I have now borrowed a large crate & am going to crate train him. he's nearly 5 so I hope its not too late!! wish me luck!!
Jayne
Jayne
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ronson
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu May 05 2011, 19:30

Jayne wrote:Ive had my Ronson for 8 months now, he's never done any damage at all (except a box of chocolates at xmas!), got home yesterday & he'd eaten one of the drawer fronts in the kitchen??!!!!!. he was only on his own for an hour. today I was out for 2 hours, worrying what I would be coming home to & he'd had a go at the next drawer! I have now borrowed a large crate & am going to crate train him. he's nearly 5 so I hope its not too late!! wish me luck!!

Sorry but I can't help not giggle, its not my cupboards so I can lol!!!!! Good luck Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayne Thu May 05 2011, 19:35

thats ok janey & thanks! I laughed too once id got over the shock! his lead was in the drawer so I think he wanted to go for a walk!! Smile
Jayne
Jayne

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ronson
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu May 05 2011, 19:37

Well thats one way of telling you!! Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06 2011, 08:22

and make sure u remove his collar when he is in there. As ive said before ive known personally on dogs collars getting caught and people coming home to hanging/strangled dogs Sad x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down