sonics family
Sazzle
nicolene Iveson
Kathy
cesca1
janey
10 posters

Go down

strange question! Empty strange question!

Post by cesca1 Wed Sep 11 2013, 23:40

My neighbours daughter is 9yrs old. She desperately wants a dog and I agreed as a test run she could walk with me every morning for a month or so (she loves it so far on week two!) My question is... she has experienced the positives but how old would a child be before you got them using the poop bags?! I don't have children and just wondered what people thought!

All of her friends are very jealous as Molly is the neighbourhood favourite Smile imagine 6 children running down the pavement shouting 'Molly! Molly! Molly! Arhh we love her' and Moll is a star with them. Plays fetch on the green and let's them rub her belly.
cesca1
cesca1
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 20.04.12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 65

Back to top Go down

strange question! Empty Re: strange question!

Post by janey Wed Sep 11 2013, 23:42

cesca1 wrote:
All of her friends are very jealous as Molly is the neighbourhood favourite :)imagine 6 children running down the pavement shouting 'Molly! Molly! Molly! Arhh we love her' and Moll is a star with them. Plays fetch on the green and let's them rub her belly.
Thats great to read Smile

As far as the kids thing I have honestly never thought about it!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Wed Sep 11 2013, 23:46

Nor had I really until she was meant to be coming over, and I had to rearrange when Watson had his accidents in the kitchen!
cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12 2013, 00:19

How lovely that Molly is your neighbourhood's childrens' favourite! What a great ambassador for the breed!

Well, at 9 years old your neighbour's daughter will understand what "poo" is and should be able to take on board that a responsible dog owner picks up that poo in a bag (no necessity for soiling dainty fingers!) and putting the bag into a suitable receptacle - I can't see any problem with that. If she goes all silly about it, then she is not ready for a dog yet! (And at 9 years old, she will need her parents' support and help with all aspects of a dog's care, not only just the poo thing. Owning a dog is huge responsibility and no child of this age can do it on their own).

I do congratulate you on helping a future responsible dog owner build the foundation blocks - do let us know how it goes!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12 2013, 05:18

I'd say she's old enough, we take a small pack of wet wipes and a small hand sanitiser with us on walks to clean our hands after we scoop the poop, if do that if I was you that way she can clean up after Molly, then clean he hands Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Sep 12 2013, 09:43

Darcy-may wrote:I'd say she's old enough, we take a small pack of wet wipes and a small hand sanitiser with us on walks to clean our hands after we scoop the poop, if do that if I was you that way she can clean up after Molly, then clean he hands Smile
This is what I do when out with Rocky too, I have a small bottle of hand sanitiser with me to clean my hands after using the poo bag. This is a great idea for your little helper too. thumbs up 
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12 2013, 11:02

As far as the poo-picking-up goes - the earlier the better! A small travel bottle of sanitiser will help her mum to be ok with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicolene Iveson Thu Sep 12 2013, 13:54

My kids are nine and twelve and they cleaned their dogs (the GSD is my son's dog though Sam seem to think he belongs to us both Smile and the cross JR is my daughter's) poop up. They are also responsible for feeding the dogs which dad and I supervise. Also they bath them. The rule is if you want a dog you do the work. Hubby and I walk Sam though as my son has balance issues. When he was five he became paralized overnight. He relearned to walk but Nathaniel struggle with his balance and don't have the strenght to handle Sam if he was to suddenly decide to pull.

If they old enough to do the basics they old enough to own a dog.
nicolene Iveson
nicolene Iveson

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In an open relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tip
Dog(s) Ages : six weeks old
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Sep 12 2013, 14:36

I also carry round hand sanitiser, the travel ones are perfect, hardly take up any room at all, also agree that it's all part of responsible dog ownership so fine for her to learn!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by sonics family Thu Sep 12 2013, 17:08

my six year old cleans up after sonic....and if he sees someone who looks like they are not going to he tells them that there is no such thing as a poo fairy lol! we also take hand gel.
sonics family
sonics family
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sonic
Dog(s) Ages : 26.06.2012
Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Thu Sep 12 2013, 18:40

What a great idea having her as a co-pilot. She will learn that dog ownership is not just about the cuddles and playtime.
Well done you and Molly.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12 2013, 19:38

nicolene Iveson wrote:My kids are nine and twelve and they cleaned their dogs (the GSD is my son's dog though Sam seem to think he belongs to us both :)and the cross JR is my daughter's) poop up. They are also responsible for feeding the dogs which dad and I supervise. Also they bath them.  The rule is if you want a dog you do the work. Hubby and I walk Sam though as my son has balance issues. When he was five he became paralized overnight. He relearned to walk but Nathaniel struggle with his balance and don't have the strenght to handle Sam if he was to suddenly decide to pull.

If they old enough to do the basics they old enough to own a dog.
I am so sorry to learn about your son's problems (and apologise if you've mentioned it before and I've missed it somehow). It must have been a nightmare for you all, but it's so good to hear that Nathaniel is improving, as I hope he is doing every day. strange question! 3198918699 

Back on topic, a Staffy is a very strong dog and I think any child would be pulled off its feet by a Staffy who suddenly decides to set off after a squirrel, cat or pigeon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12 2013, 20:02

I've never thought of carrying a hand sanitiser or similar around with me when walking my dogs, but maybe it's a good idea where children are concerned who are still learning how to poo-pickup.

Once the technique is learned however, I can't see that there is any danger of contamination UNLESS the poo bags are more porous than I thought??

(I do wash my hands once I get home from dog walks, however!)

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Thu Sep 12 2013, 21:16

Thank you for eveybodys replies! She will def be poop scooping now Wink We walk them away from any roads (quite lucky in that sense) and she knows, if Moll pulled too much, she's to let go (although to be honest she doesn't pull and if anything she would pull away from something rather than towards it!). Might get some hand sanitizer as well to pacify any potential poo mistakes lol.

It's her whole family who are wanting a dog but it was on the proviso Harriet would take the responsibility seriously and help out. Hence the month of morning walks! Before getting to know our dogs, particularly Molly, she was scared stiff as she had been bitten by her grandads collie.

cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Fri Sep 13 2013, 02:05

My rule has always been if you are old enough to walk in it you are old enough to pick it up Smile

I have two girls in their early teens who think it is 'gross' despite the bag preventing any hand contact - we use a walking belt that holds hand sanitizing wipes to limit the 'grossness' for them.

http://www.doog.com.au/shop/category/cat3575/Walkie_Belts.html
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Sat Sep 14 2013, 09:54

I've had dogs since I was six and mum always included me in learning the responsibilities of ownership, with everything that comes with it! I think it should be fine! and it's great that Molly is the neighbourhood favourite! What a star!
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve.Sanders Sun Sep 15 2013, 20:38

my 6 year old son has cleaned up after Koda.. few giggles and heaves at first but he got it to a fine art now..
Steve.Sanders
Steve.Sanders

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 30/07/2012
Support total : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down