Barking at other dogs?

Go down

Barking at other dogs? Empty Barking at other dogs?

Post by daisydaisy Thu Apr 21 2011, 08:53

In the last couple of months, Lea has started barking at other dogs when we're out walking. If she were off the lead, I'm afraid she might actually be aggressive toward them, and as far as I can see, it's totally unprovoked, she only has to see it walking toward us in the distance and she starts pulling toward it and barking. It's not with all dogs, but it's getting more frequent, and I'm not sure what to do about it. People have suggested taking treats to distract her, and walking in the opposite direction (not always possible). Have you ever encountered this, and what did you do about it?
daisydaisy
daisydaisy
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Barking at other dogs? Empty Re: Barking at other dogs?

Post by Guest Thu Apr 21 2011, 10:45

i am sorry i have not but someone should be along soon who will be able to help

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 21 2011, 11:40

How old is Lea? Has she been spayed? Is she aggressive or just barking?

It could be any number of things depending on the answers to the questions!

If she's very young and not spayed she could be coming in to season - a bitch will often be a bit bolshy at this time. She might also be being a little dominant or protective towards you. It might also just be pure excitement, wanting to play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 21 2011, 12:30

Milly does not bark at other dogs but she is turning into a proper barker in the house and in the garden the slightest noise and she is off I bring her in but don't know if I am doing the right thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 21 2011, 14:33

Blondy does a little cough when she see other dogs wants to pull towards them turns out she was just frustrated by the lead and wanted to great them, if she isn't snapping or snarling. I'd get her sit calmly (easier said than done treat or toys) and allow her to greet the dog while she is calm but don't if the other dog is all over the place bad energy such as hyperness or frustration don't mix that well.

Back to top Go down

Post by daisydaisy Thu Apr 21 2011, 16:30

Thanks. She's 3, she has been spayed, and I don't know if she's aggressive or not - how would I tell?
daisydaisy
daisydaisy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 21 2011, 20:20

I think the only way you are going to tell is to experiment if you have a mate who has a soft breed like a labrador who you know from experience that even when push they will not attack and you could muzzle your dog so if she does attack she wont do no harm and the other dog will not hurt her either. Another way which i have suggested many times is a head halti on an extension lead or long lead, allow her to greet the other dogs and if you see any sign on her being aggressive i.e her hackles up raising her head above the other dogs, pushing the other dog with her chest you can then pull the lead and the halti will shut her mouth so she can not attack and you can then pull her towards you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 21 2011, 21:31

What is the dogs body posture like when she barks at other dogs?
Is her tail wagging or is it up stiff?
Is the body relaxed or stiff? Does she stand proud with her chest out?
When the dog gets closer does she try to lunge at it?

The idea is to get the dog to follow your command (Since you are the pack leader). You need to teach the dog to walk at the heel and you are the one who desides who she meets and greats not her. hen teach her the leave command so she learns to leave and ignore the other dogs
I'm having simular problems with my dog (He is a stubborn git Laughing ) but im working more and acting like a pack leader to prevent him from getting mixed signals which may result in him making choices instead of me, like warning other dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by daisydaisy Fri Apr 22 2011, 14:02

Thanks for all the advice here. Yes, she does raise her hackles and pulls towards them, but I hold her back from the other animal, and try to get her to pass it without making any contact.
daisydaisy
daisydaisy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22 2011, 16:04

daisydaisy wrote:Thanks for all the advice here. Yes, she does raise her hackles and pulls towards them, but I hold her back from the other animal, and try to get her to pass it without making any contact.

Raised hackles do not necessarily mean aggression - hackles will be raised with excitement, nervousness, or if a dog is unsure of something. If that's the case the hackles will probably only be raised over the shoulders and perhaps just a little over the back. The tail may be raised but won't be stiffly held over the back. With aggression the hackles will be raised from the shoulders in a wide line right down the back & on to the tail, and the tail will be held stiffly & maybe curved over the back, sometimes with the tip actually touching the back.

Does she snarl as she pulls? Or is she just barking? A snarl means I don't like you/I'm scared of you; a bark means I'm excited to see you/I'm a little nervous of you.

The more you struggle to 'hold her back' the more she'll want to do it! As Blue says, you need to train her to walk with you and if you see another dog, call her to heal and use either a treat or a toy to distract. Put her in the sit and wait for the other dog to approach. Ask the other person if they would mind walking their dog slowly past you, while you continue to tell her to sit. Start with the dog walking a couple of yards away, and gradually get closer.

It would be a lot easier if you could start with someone you know who will be prepared to work with you on this.

Back to top Go down

Post by daisydaisy Sat Apr 23 2011, 20:10

That makes me feel much better Caryll, thanks so much. She does sometimes snarl, not always. I think maybe I need training as much as Lea does, I think I get a little scared which obviously doesn't help. I will try your tips and see if I can get her under control. Thanks again for all your advice.
daisydaisy
daisydaisy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down