Barking at some people and other dogs

3 posters

Go down

Barking at some people and other dogs  Empty Barking at some people and other dogs

Post by kirstyleigh Fri Dec 01 2017, 10:56

Right so ive moved into a flat about a shop nearest place to take bella to the toilet is the field oppersite she is becoming a pain she will bark at any other dog that is walking close enough last night she barked at the woman who runs the shop she will sometimes bark at people who say hello who she doesnt know i have decided to go bk to basics and not allow her on my bed or and other furniture will this help its getting me so down she only just started this behaviour i dont even know what to do and tips while taking her out i would be so grateful
kirstyleigh
kirstyleigh
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Barking at some people and other dogs  Empty Re: Barking at some people and other dogs

Post by Mistys Mum Fri Dec 01 2017, 11:22

To be honest I don't think not allowing her on your bed or furniture will help at all.

She might be a little displaced by the move and a bit unsure of her new surroundings. I'd take things slowly, what I did with misty was as soon as I saw people or dogs I started giving her treats. She soon associated people and dogs as a good thing as it meant treats were coming. Now when we are out and she is nervous she looks at me and she gets a treat.
Also some people can approach dogs the wrong way which can scare the dogs so she is only voicing herself and saying please keep away.

I am sure you will be able to work through this. Do keep us updated x

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Barking at some people and other dogs  B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Barking at some people and other dogs  Empty Re: Barking at some people and other dogs

Post by kirstyleigh Fri Dec 01 2017, 11:31

Thats a great idea thank you will do my best as im blind so i dont see them till last min i just notice bella ears go up n thats how i know she has noticed spotted something she doesnt bark at dogs untilll they are close
kirstyleigh
kirstyleigh

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 01 2017, 13:38

I agree with Emma, not allowing her places at home won't make any positive difference. It might even make her more unsure of herself if anything.

As well as giving treats and building up positive associations, work on not asking Bella to cope with more than she's happy with, i.e. not getting closer than she can without stiffness or other signs of worry. If you do feel her start to become concerned, then take a few steps back and call her to you.

Keep relaxed and make sure there's as little tension on the lead as possible. If you feel yourself getting tense, breathe and relax, especially your arms.

It might be worth explaining to people you see regularly that she's been a bit unsettled by the move and that you're working to get her back to her usual happy self, which will help them be less worried (if they are) and also show that you're working on it.

Give her time, space and reassurance, and give her guidance through your own demeanour, and you'll get there!

Back to top Go down

Post by kirstyleigh Fri Dec 01 2017, 17:18

Thank u so much for advice took bella out tonight as normal allthough we didnt see any dogs i did still used a nosie to distract her then gave her a treat cant find her clicker im hoping in a few days she will be to distracted tp even bark at the dogs fingers crossed
kirstyleigh
kirstyleigh

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sat Dec 02 2017, 07:58

A new place and surrounding can be stressful and confusing for a dog, i dont have to add to already good advice as thats what i would have said anyway.xxxx

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Barking at some people and other dogs  B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down