rubbing bottom .....

3 posters

Go down

rubbing bottom ..... Empty rubbing bottom .....

Post by zya little red staffy Fri Sep 06 2013, 13:54

zYa has been rubbing her bottom after she goes to the toilet it started acouple of weeks ago it isn't all the time just it seems if shes struggled going to the toilet I check her stools each time I pick up and nothing... she was wormed at the vets 3-4wks ago since she's been in season she's doing it again could it be possible its just sore when she goes...or something else.can anyone help
zya little red staffy
zya little red staffy
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : ZYA
Dog(s) Ages : 14months
Dog Gender(s) : bitch with an amazing personality and very comical
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

rubbing bottom ..... Empty Re: rubbing bottom .....

Post by Sazzle Fri Sep 06 2013, 14:13

Could be her anal glands, you can get them sorted at the vets Smile 

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/anal_glands
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Fri Sep 06 2013, 14:52

It could either be two things (both of which happen with Zeus alot):

1) Anal glands - vet will need to empty them (or if you're feeling brave, there are plenty of tutorials on youtube how to do it.. i'd rather not lol).

2) Grass - Zeus tends to eat grass now and again and it doesn't digest properly, so when it comes out the other end, its half in his bum and half out, I normally have to pull it out of him sick
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 06 2013, 15:16

Sounds very much like her anal glands are blocked or partially blocked. When a dog wipes her bum on the floor, it's actually very rare that the cause is worms; it's usually blocked anal glands. This can sometimes be due to diet - if the diet causes stools to be soft or loose, rather than firm, the anal glands aren't activated to lubricate the movement and may become blocked with anal fluid. If she's having trouble going to the toilet, it's highly likely that the anal glands are blocked and aren't lubricating her faeces properly, making it difficult to pass them.

You can expell them yourself easily enough, although if you're squeamish or uncertain, a vet will be able to do it quickly enough. If you do it yourself, it only takes about five-ten minutes.

To check for blocked anal glands:

Lift the tail out of the way. Make sure your dog is comfortable with this and trusts you.

The openings of the two anal glands are located to the sides of the anus - roughly at the 8 o'clock and 4 o'clock areas. Place your fingers gently on either side of these areas. It may take a bit of a feel to figure out where they are at first. If you feel lumps roughly the size of peas, that means the glands are blocked and need expelling.

If you decide to expell them yourself, make sure you stand your dog on an easy to clean surface and don't wear clothes that you don't want to get dirty and smelly. If possible, get somebody to hold her still while you do it. You should also wear rubber or latex gloves for hygiene purposes.

To expell them, place your thumb and first finger gently on the outside of each gland. Carefully use an upwards and inwards motion to 'milk' them - don't do it too hard and don't use continuous pressure. If she appears to be in pain, stop and consult a vet, as an infection may have developed. If nothing comes out, adjust the position of your finger movements slightly. If nothing has come out after a few minutes, try again later in the week, as persisting for too long could cause soreness.

Be aware that it does smell disgusting! ;)I've had the displeasure of doing it and it's quite a stomach-turning smell!

Last edited by Eleanor on Fri Sep 06 2013, 15:18; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 06 2013, 15:17

Agree with above ( I have had to do the grassy bum a few times , another good use for a poo bag Smile ) but just pop her to the vet and he will check her over and do her glands if neccessary ( I've not had the experience of this one )

There is 1 more reason though and that is that they just like it so hope you have a brown carpet Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by zya little red staffy Fri Sep 06 2013, 18:08

Thank you all for the advice and ill defo check her glands too  her eating is mince,chicken and doctor johns silver her stool are solid but on occasion soft so it could well be her glands thanks so much and @dave yes I have brown carpet in the hall Wink just aswell the front room is scottch guard too Wink
zya little red staffy
zya little red staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : ZYA
Dog(s) Ages : 14months
Dog Gender(s) : bitch with an amazing personality and very comical
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 06 2013, 18:11

zya little red staffy wrote:Thank you all for the advice and ill defo check her glands too  her eating is mince,chicken and doctor johns silver her stool are solid but on occasion soft so it could well be her glands thanks so much and @dave yes I have brown carpet in the hall Wink just aswell the front room is scottch guard too Wink
Laughing Laughing Laughing  gotta love the little house wreckers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down