Breeds to compliment a staffy

3 posters

Go down

Breeds to compliment a staffy Empty Breeds to compliment a staffy

Post by strothers101 Fri Aug 30 2013, 03:13

Hello all my name is Jarrad. I am from "down under" and have always been a massive fan of Staffies having owned two myself. Recently my partner and I have moved and now have the means to look into getting a dog or two. I am really into staffies and with talk of children on the cards within the next couple of years would like to invest in another one. My partner however grew up with rottweilers and as such would like one of them. I am basically looking for advice on potentially owning both breeds of dogs simultaneously. Which dog do you think we should get first? Which sex should the dogs be? I'm a bit nervous as I have never had more than one dog at a time.
Any info would be much appreciated.
Regards,
Jarrad

strothers101
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Breeds to compliment a staffy Empty Re: Breeds to compliment a staffy

Post by Maria90 Fri Aug 30 2013, 05:50

Hi and welcome from Rocky and I,

Why not come over and say hi https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Unfortunately I've only got the 1 staffy so im not much help in this department, but im sure someone will be along soon with advise Smile
Maria90
Maria90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 30 2013, 07:04

Hi Jarrad, personally I think any of the bigger rough n tumble breeds would compliment a staffy well and we already have at least one member with a staffie and a rottie ( or maybe a rottie cross ?? ) .

Personally I would get a staffy first , but only my personal preference then he/ she can teach the rottie from a pup . As far as sex goes then I would just pick the opposites , so boy staffie --> girl rottie and vice versa but an ideal age gap would be 18 months - 2 years and 1 should be neutered to avoid long term problems

Back to top Go down

Post by strothers101 Fri Aug 30 2013, 09:44

Gday guys , thanks for the reply. I do think getting the staffy first and socializing him/her via a reputed puppy school would be a good idea. Rotties are large dogs and I'm not sure if I would trust it with a staffy pup, especially with knowing staffy pups boisterous nature when they play. I would be worried that the rottweiler would unintentionally hurt the staf pup. If I have it my way we will get a female staffy (Lucy aka loose the caboose) and introduce a male rotty into the environment once the staf is at least two and comfortable.

strothers101

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 30 2013, 16:13

Sounds like you have a good plan there , but do not underestimate a staffy pup if you do end up doing it the other way around , they are surprisingly tough little cookies , when we got Tommy he was forever trying to sort his big sister out Smile and we all know Rotties are just big stupid cuddly bears when they have been brought up correctly.

In addition to this My Boy has an English Bull Mastiff who is basically a wannabe horse thing and would be 2 years old when we got Tilly , she used to rag him all of the time , even having to jump on the sofa so she could get to his ears as she was so tiny , and no problems at all

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 30 2013, 16:40

I would not worry about a rottie and staffy pup together! the staff can more then hold their own!

I have an ambull very similar size to a rottie and he gets one great with pups Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 30 2013, 16:47

If you play my card though Jarrad and tell your OH you have to get the Stafford first to teach the Rottie some manners then you get your staffy first Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by Eris Fri Aug 30 2013, 22:23

All I can say, is don't go for a herding breed. My parents have a crossbreed who is suspected to be 25% GSD and 25% old english sheepdog, and a friend owns a border collie. Neither of these seem to understand the rough and tumble element of staffie play, and it leads to alot of aggro and frustration.

Rotties seem like a good bet, although I've got no experience with them.
Eris
Eris
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Lizzy, Roger
Dog(s) Ages : 9, U1
Dog Gender(s) : F, M
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 30 2013, 22:29

If you get the staffy first, the dog that ggets along with it should not matter what breed. Your dog may not like any other dogs at all or may only like certain breeds. life experience will dictate it all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down