Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc?

+3
Maria90
janey
BarneyPup
7 posters

Go down

Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc? Empty Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc?

Post by BarneyPup Wed Aug 28 2013, 21:42

Hi all,

Yesterday, my dog (Barney) was playing in the garden when all of a sudden his back leg buckled and he yelped in pain. He couldn't get up or walk for about an hour, then he figured out how to walk on 3 legs. The one back leg is mobile but he's not putting weight on it. His tail has also gone completely limp today. He doesn't seem in any pain, he's just really down in the dumps and he's not himself at all. The vet said he thinks it could be nerve damage or a slipped disc and he's going back for X-rays tomorrow. I've been reading up on his symptoms and hip dysplasia keeps popping up - he is showing a lot of the symptoms. I always put his funny walk, bunny hop and silly frolic down to his nature and the fact that he's always been just a little bit on the plump side due to hypothyroidism. Does anybody have any advice they could offer on any of these ailments? Symptoms? Treatments? I'm really worried about him and his well being but in the back of my mind, I can't help but also worry about the financial burden we could be facing. He's already on a special diet, anxiety tablets and treatment for hypothyroidism. I love him with all my heart but he's a massive walking vets bill!! Smile
BarneyPup
BarneyPup
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Barney
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc? Empty Re: Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc?

Post by Sazzle Wed Aug 28 2013, 21:54

Hi Barneypup, welcome to the forum Smile 

Poor Barney, I'm afraid I don't know anything about this but hopefully someone will be along soon who does. This is our link about it

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/hip_dysplasia

Maybe you could come and say hi Smile 

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc? Empty Re: Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc?

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28 2013, 21:57

Oh poor little Barney, and poor you for the worry.

Firstly, have you got health insurance for him? That will help with a lot of the financial worry.

How old is Barney? The bunny hop is an indication towards hip dysplasia; however a limp tail may indicate a slipped disc. The x-rays tomorrow will tell you more.

I had a dog with under-active thyroid (not a Staff) and the little blue tablets she was on for the rest of her life (Thyroxin?) changed her life, she grew hair again, became livelier and less pudgy - it did take a few months to show results though.

Do let us know the results of the x-rays tomorrow - Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc? 3198918699 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28 2013, 21:59

Aww poor pooch, sooty I don't have any personal experience hopefully someone will be along shortly who can help, I hope the vet can shed some light on it tomorrow, keep us updated Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by BarneyPup Thu Aug 29 2013, 20:35

Thank you all for your kind words. Unfortunately it's not looking good. It's neurological & perhaps a fractured spine. He's lost control of his bowels & bladder. We're taking him to a spinal surgeon tomorrow but the vet said that its a very complicated operation and even if he gets through he may never fully recover. We can't have a dog messing all over the house, we have a toddler. We both have full time jobs so constant care just isn't feasible... We'll know more tomorrow but for now he's getting more fuss & cuddles than he knows what to do with. He's only 5 so he's relatively young... Well, middle-aged! I'm in a state Sad
BarneyPup
BarneyPup

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 29 2013, 20:40

Oh, no, what a terrible thing for you all to go through!

My heart goes out to you. We're here to talk to if you need it - please let us know how you get on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 29 2013, 22:36

Big hugs to you and Barney. Don't give up hope, when Ruby was ill before we knew the diagnosis I thought she'd got days left and we brought her home expecting the worst. She's gradually recovered enough with medication to plod on. I know how hard it is having a dog with a neurological illness especially at such a young age. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 29 2013, 22:40

Aww I'm so sorry Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc? 3198918699 I hope the spinal vets can give you some good news & hope, keep us updated Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Aug 29 2013, 22:44

Oh my, sorry to read this but as Jane said from experience don't give up hope, we are all rooting for you both. Always here for chat if ever needed Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by BarneyPup Fri Aug 30 2013, 07:27

He can't get out of bed today, he's deteriorating by the day... Pray for a miracle xxxxx
BarneyPup
BarneyPup

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Fri Aug 30 2013, 07:34

I'm so sorry to hear this, I really do hope that they can do something. Hugs from Rocky and I, and lots of prayers Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc? 3198918699 
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 30 2013, 07:34

Awww bless him Sad x

Back to top Go down

Post by apple_ashley Fri Aug 30 2013, 07:56

Poor baby, When we adopted My staffy, the vet said he had an operation and was immobile for about 6 weeks when he was a puppy because of hip dysplasia brought on by his previous owner =( now about 7 months after the surgery it doesn't bother him but his back legs are a tad stiff
apple_ashley
apple_ashley
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi and Sargent
Dog(s) Ages : 3 and 1
Dog Gender(s) : both male =)
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by BarneyPup Fri Aug 30 2013, 15:09

Just back from the doggie hospital. He's had an MRI and they've found extensive bruising to his spinal cord along most of the bottom part of his back. There's no treatment, we just have to hope and pray it gets better on its own. The main worry is his incontinence and they've put him on drugs to contract his bladder and try to kick start it back into normal function. If that doesn't work then the decision will have to be made. With all the best will in the world, we can't manage supportive care at home for the rest of his life for something like incontinence. He can live his life with a limp leg or tail but when we're talking catheters and manual expression, it's no life for him or us. On the plus side, he still has working reflexes in his bottom so he's not completely paralysed. The surgeon said it was a good sign. So keep him in your prayers. Hopefully on Monday we can have our bear back home xxx
BarneyPup
BarneyPup

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 30 2013, 15:29

Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc? 3198918699 Poor thing! I hope he makes a full and very speedy recovery! Thoughts are with you!

Back to top Go down

Post by apple_ashley Fri Aug 30 2013, 19:24

=( sorry to hear, hope he gets better!
apple_ashley
apple_ashley

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 30 2013, 19:29

Aww poor baby, positive wishes coming your way Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc? 3198918699 Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc? 3198918699

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Aug 30 2013, 19:30

Fingers and paws crossed for him xx
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 30 2013, 21:21

I hope things get better Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc? 3198918699 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 31 2013, 10:13

Poor Barney, have they say what could have caused the spinal bruising?
Fingers and paws crossed for him x Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 31 2013, 12:13

Did the vets have any idea what caused the bruising?

Hopefully if the bruising clears he might regain someof his mobility & bladder/bowel control.Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc? 3198918699

Back to top Go down

Post by BarneyPup Sat Aug 31 2013, 15:45

He must have fallen awkwardly when he jumped up. The surgeon made it clear that the bruising is extensive and will probably leave permanent damage. He said that if he didn't still have feeling in his perineum then he would tell us there's little to no chance of recovery so we're hanging on to that tiny glimmer of hope. The update this morning was that he's happy and comfortable but there's been no change. He's not getting worse but still not getting any better.

Has anybody ever rehomed or adopted a dog with incontinence? What are his chances? He's happy and walking around and not in any pain so I could never live with myself if we decided to put him to sleep. If we didn't have a 14 month old, we'd happily nurse him for the rest of his days & it seems so unfair that its the only option we have if he doesn't regain control of his bladder. I'm absolutely devastated... I've cried for 3 days straight thinking about it.

What does everybody else think? What would you do? Xx
BarneyPup
BarneyPup

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 31 2013, 16:46

I really don't know what I would do, I couldn't give up on my dog. It must a hard time for you present. You can get drugs to make him pee less. I think you need to take each day at a time at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 31 2013, 16:50

You can get nappies similar to the ones for bitches in heat. Either disposable or ones you can wash biggrin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 31 2013, 17:53

When ruby was first ill the neurologist said to us he would support us if we decided to pts as she was in such a bad way. my other half wanted to bring her home for her last weekend. that was 4 months ago. we have now both said that if the fits cant be stabilised with the tablets then we will stop. her back end is going and her stumbling is getting worse. You have to think of each individuals circumstances. Like he said if we were both retired and were at home and could look after her 24hrs a day it wouldn't be an issue. It's the hardest decision to make and it's not about giving up on your dog. There's gonna be a time probably in the not too distant future that we are going to have to make that choice. It's not much of a life for ruby atm, she plods around, eats and sleeps. I constantly watch her when at home, making sure she doesn't fall or fit. Her tablets are given at specific times so any social events etc are based round those times.
Hugs to you and Barney, xxx Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by BarneyPup Mon Sep 02 2013, 18:58

I really appreciate everybody's lovely words and wishes for Barney. Unfortunately he didn't improve over the weekend and his chances of improvement were very slim so we made the heartbreaking decision to let him go to a better place. He wasn't my Barney anymore. He was whimpering and shaking, his beautiful brown friendly eyes were glazed and sad and the worst thing of all was that his tail lay lifeless so he couldn't tell me how he was feeling or if he was happy to see me. The vet agreed it was the best thing for him and reassured us that it wasn't a selfish decision but I'm struggling with my conscience. Devastated doesn't even come close... Coming home to an empty house without his lovely little excited face and wagging tail is so painful. I'm lost without him. I hope none of you have to go through what we've been through, I genuinely do. Adopting Barney was one of the best choices we ever made. Back then I said I'd never have a staffy as well! Now of never have anything else! Beautiful creatures, inside and out. Hold tours a little tighter tonight and give them a love from me xxx
BarneyPup
BarneyPup

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Sep 02 2013, 19:19

Oh my, what can I say. I am so so sorry for you all. I can not imagine the pain you must be going through but you did do exactly the right thing, and you need to believe that, it doesn't ease the pain and loss, but it will do eventually.

We are all here for you if need to cry and to be a support if you want to chat. Massive support from us. Times a great healer and you will see that one day. Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 02 2013, 19:27

Sorry to hear about Barney. You did the right thing to stop his suffering, as Janey says we are all here for you. There is a memorial section if you would like to share some memories https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f38-pet-memorial-forum Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc? 3198918699 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon Sep 02 2013, 20:09

I'm so sorry to hear this, it is heartbreaking and understandibly you are very upset but you have done the right and kindest thing. We are all here to support you Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc? 3198918699 xxx
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 02 2013, 20:28

I am so desperately sorry to hear this - poor Barney, RIP sweet lad & run free to Rainbow Bridge.

BarneyPup wrote:I'm struggling with my conscience.
You mustn't! You have done the best thing for him, you have given him peace. He wouldn't have understood the pain or the immobility. I know it hurts (I've been through it, as have so many people on this forum) but there will come a day when you can talk about him & look at pictures without the pain you feel now. You'll be able to smile & remember the fun times you had with him & the love he shared with you.Love Struck 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 02 2013, 21:22

I'm so heartbreakingly sorry for you all, you made the right decision to help him rest peacefully, my thoughts are with you all Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc? 3198918699 run free barney Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 02 2013, 22:00

I am so very, very sorry for you with your loss of Barney. You will be feeling terrible right now, that is only natural - please don't try to bottle up your grief, you do need to cry for your loss.

Caryll has expressed it perfectly and I can't better her words to try to comfort you. I've had to make the decision many times in my life - 3 times with dogs, plus other animals, and each time have beaten myself up about it but when the first agony of grief has subsided a little (and it will, I promise you) I knew that I had done the kindest thing - as you have done.

Bless you Barney - run free and happy at Rainbow Bridge.

Back to top Go down

Post by apple_ashley Tue Sep 03 2013, 00:24

='( i'm sooo sorry for your loss, you had me in tears reading this, i'm sure he will be missed greatly!
apple_ashley
apple_ashley

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 03 2013, 22:02

So sorry for the loss of Barney. You mustn't blame yourself You did the best for him. Massive hugs x

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Wed Sep 04 2013, 13:43

So sorry to hear of your loss. Please know we are all thinking of you Hip Dysplasia? Trapped nerve? Slipped disc? 3198918699 

Run free and happy little man x
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by marlee staff Thu Sep 05 2013, 00:41

i know how you are feeling my previous border collie had a stroke a few years back because she missed her partner that passed from cancer,I found her outside what looked like flipping around but was her trying to move.Turned out she was paralyzed in one half of her body.she was 12.I made the decision to have her go to heaven because they said i would have to be there for her 24/7.with having kids work etc ,i knew it was the right thing to do .I felt it was no life for a dog she was 12 yet she still acted like a 2yr old,i still miss her every day .But i know in my heart it was the right thing to do.So what im saying is do what you feel is right for you and your family,your decision if that means dog heaven it doesn't mean you dont love them any less it means you are trying to do whats best because you do love them.take care.
marlee staff
marlee staff

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : marlee
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Dog Gender(s) : bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down