chewing/licking paws

+2
janey
Jasmine's mum
6 posters

Go down

chewing/licking paws Empty chewing/licking paws

Post by Jasmine's mum Thu Apr 14 2011, 18:24

Jasmine has started excessivly licking and chewing two of her paws. It's only her front left and rear right that she does it to. I've checked them over thoroughly and can't see anything there that might be irritating her. She hasn't done any damage to herself yet but I don't want it to get that far. I've tried some anti itch wipes that are supposed to taste bitter so she stops but she seems to like the taste! She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, and is happy and healthy (as far as I can tell). Has anyone experienced anything similar that might be able to shed some light on to why she is doing it?
Jasmine's mum
Jasmine's mum
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Jasmine
Dog(s) Ages : 3 1/2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

chewing/licking paws Empty Re: chewing/licking paws

Post by janey Thu Apr 14 2011, 18:30

Moo did this a while ago, I still to this day don't know why. Wenever I caught her I would stop her, very annoying as it took about a week of constant 'no' and pulling er paw away but she did stop in the end. I've heard on here that bathing it in warm salty water might help, or maybe try some TCP? Not much help sorry, someone else will be on soon Big Grin
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14 2011, 18:39

Apparently staffies get a yeast build up on their feet and thats why they do it. Im not sure how much truth there is in that but thats what I was told.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine's mum Thu Apr 14 2011, 19:04

Thanks guys,

I do stop her when I catch her doing it and she doesn't always go back to doing it. I'll just keep persevering and see what happens. I've also started using baby shampoo now when I bath her as I noticed the dog shampoo was actually drying her skin out and thought that might have been the cause to start with. I'll also try warm salty water and see if that helps. If she hurts herself or starts to seem in discomfort then I'll take her to the vets but I'm hoping it wont get that far.
Jasmine's mum
Jasmine's mum

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Apr 14 2011, 19:14

Fingers crossed Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14 2011, 19:52

shontelle wrote:Apparently staffies get a yeast build up on their feet and thats why they do it. Im not sure how much truth there is in that but thats what I was told.

The vet told me this Shontelle.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14 2011, 20:12

I know stuff! Cool. Its a rarity Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by jill wells Thu Apr 14 2011, 20:59

Digby is lying on his bed licking his paws as I type this! It's something he's done since he was a puppy, the vet once told me it was the sign of an anxious or nervous dog, I don't agree, he's neither anxious or nervous. I always wondered if Digby was copying our cat, she spends ages licking her paws to clean herself.
jill wells
jill wells
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Digby
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14 2011, 21:01

It's mad you have just said that. Not 2 mins ago the cat walked into the living rom and Blue sat up watching her. She sat on the rug cleanuing herslef and Bue licked his legs Laughing
Your probably right

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Fri Apr 15 2011, 11:19

I would put my money on either a build-up of yeast or an allergy. My older stafford has terrible seasonal allergies (mainly to pollen and certain types of grass) and bites and licks her feet terribly after walks, to the point where now they are all red and sore. Poor girl it must be so itchy, does Jasmine lick in between her pads aswell and really concentrate on them? This is what Skibadee does and chews really hard on her feet.

It began when she was about 1 and reached it's peak when she got to 2 and a half. We went to the vet so many times and tried so many different treatments (shampoo, ointments, even steroids). The only thing that has ever worked for her is 'New-Era' holistic medicine, a hayfever medicine for people. I keep her topped up on these (3 twice a day) and that seems to keep the worst of the itching at bay!

Does jasmine ever get angry red marks on her stomach after going outside in long grass?
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15 2011, 14:52

Jethro is like Digby. He often licks and licks his front paws. Drives me bonkers.. so I go "Baaahhh!!" and he stops ! ( thank goodness! ) Jethro has always been highly strung.. why??.... I don't know !! He has a charmed life, believe you me !! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15 2011, 16:36

When Dempsey did this with his front paws I rubedd Sudocrem over them every few hours. He hates the taste, and it soothed them at the same time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine's mum Sat Apr 16 2011, 13:26

no she doesn't get any red marks after playing in the grass, I might try some sudocrem as well see if that helps.

Thanks for all your help and advice Smile
Jasmine's mum
Jasmine's mum

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by leigh46137 Mon Dec 19 2011, 11:51

I think Holly as something like this, She keeps licking her front and back paws.
I know when she plays with her boomer ball the front paws get scrapped and red, in the parts I would call it her thumbs (pads and claws on the side).
Now with the snow and grit on the paths this must be affecting her, as she is now refusing to get out of bed for a walk. Also the poor girl is mopping around and is finding it hard to jump on the bed or get in the car, she is also sitting on her side with her back paws raised (not by much). I read that sudocream may help, anyone got any other Ideas...!
leigh46137
leigh46137
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by starling89 Wed Dec 21 2011, 13:57

My boy Coal does this and the vet has put it down to allergies. It has happened a several times after taking him to the river which has lead us to believe he must be allergic to some kind of grass or plant he has come into contact with down there. He basically wouldnt stop licking his paws but be careful to check your dog regularily as Coal licked them so much that one of his back paws became infected. We now have an ointment on hand to apply if the allergy flares up again.

Coal also suffered from seperation anxiety badly when I got him and one of things he would do to take his fustration out if I left him was chew his back feet until they bled - so fear and anxiety can definately be a cause. In this case you can get a special bitter tasting spray to put on to discourage it.

Barley grass seeds are also a real problem in this part of the world - they are shaped like an arrowhead and can get stuck between the pads of the paw or toes and burrow in under the skin - real nasty little things! I don't know about other parts of the world but your vet would know. I guess the best thing to do is just to keep a close eye on her and if it gets worse take her to the vet.
starling89
starling89
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Henry, BULL, Coal, ZOE, Hunter
Dog Gender(s) : male, MALE, male, FEMALE, male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by starling89 Wed Dec 21 2011, 14:04

Another thing I just thought of is to check your girls paws for cracks. I use a product called Paw Aid - its an antiseptic spray I have in my doggy first aid kit to help heal up cracked paw pads. If your dog has cracks in its paws then its a useful thing to have to help them out - and it can also be used on small cuts/abrasions. Smile
starling89
starling89

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Henry, BULL, Coal, ZOE, Hunter
Dog Gender(s) : male, MALE, male, FEMALE, male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 21 2011, 15:04

yes grass seeds are horrible thing..Tony just noticed something sticking out the corner of Winston's eye..and it was a grass seed lodged there...lucky he saw it and it wasn't in far so we could get it out.
Jethro had an operation years ago when he was yelping when we touched his ears and they took a heap of grass seeds out his ear canal ( I still have the seeds in a little jar!! ..put them in Jethro's memory box with his puppy collar! )

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down