dry skin

Go down

dry skin Empty dry skin

Post by janfrost489 Tue Aug 13 2013, 16:08

I posted the other day that sasha had a dandruff problem. I followed the brilliant advice that everyone gave me and it seemed to clear up. I noticed her chewing her hind left leg so I checked it and its got really dry skin on it which is irritating her. I phoned the vet to ask for advice about 10 minutes ago and they were worse than useless. I give her sardines and salmon oil daily and her coat is really healthy and shiny but the dry skin won't go Sad
janfrost489
janfrost489
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 06/05/2013
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

dry skin Empty Re: dry skin

Post by Guest Tue Aug 13 2013, 19:04

I'm so happy the advice worked for you, have you tried coconut oil? It has a lot of health benefits on the inside too :)have read through this thread :- https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t40760-coconut-oil

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Tue Aug 13 2013, 19:36

Many thanks darcy-may have been onto ebay to investigate and will def be buying. Her coat is already lovely and shiny due to the sardines and salmon oil although she doesn't really like too much salmon oil think its too fishy but will give anything a go that may help her. Thanks again from me and a very itchy sasha x
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 13 2013, 20:35

Just a thought - do you bathe/shower Sasha very often?

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Tue Aug 13 2013, 20:39

Hi Lynda shes had 2 baths since we got her 7 weeks ago. Ive tried everything to help it feel like a parrot going on ive just given her a good brush to see if that helps a bit
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 13 2013, 20:58

Thanks Jan!  I asked because:-

I have to admit that in the 16 months since I've had Kuchar (from 3 months old) I haven't bathed/showered/shampooed him once.  Main reason is he just doesn't seem to need it, he doesn't smell or anything. but also I can't face the fight!  He hates water (except to drink of course).

What made me ask the question is because I used to have Dobermanns, which I showed in their early years.  And before a show, and in their later years when they did get smelly and grubby! I gave them a shower with dog shampoo.  And without fail they came out in dandruff!  I learned not to wash them too near a show.

It's natural to think (being human) that a jolly good wash will get rid of the dandruff/dry skin/itchiness, but I think you may like to try not washing Sasha for a few weeks and see how she goes.  Also, please make sure that the brush you are using on her is not harsh, as that could irritate her skin.

Maybe worth a try?

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Tue Aug 13 2013, 21:06

I was thinking that myself even though it was a shampoo specifically for puppies but i also think it may have been too harsh the only reason why I bathed her was that she had been playing in the water fountain as she absolutely loves water in any form in the garden with a friends puppy and then she decided to go and roll in dry dirt which inevitably turned into mud. The brush I use is a natural hair bristle one and I also use a grooming mitt which is quite soft. Most of the time it doesn't bother her its just her hind leg on the elbow bit and of course shes black so doesn't look brilliant either
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 13 2013, 21:51

You are so lucky having a dog who loves water! I can't even take Kuchar out if it's raining, and as for washing mud (which bizarrely he doesn't seem to mind) off his paws and belly after a winter walk - let battle commence!

Anyway, back to Sasha - I understand (although haven't experienced it) the getting wet and then rolling in dirt problem. If you can bear it, I would suggest letting the dirt dry and then brushing it off with a soft brush (natural bristle can be quite harsh). If she really is too filthy to be let into the house, then just give her a quick douse with water to get the worst off, followed by a tousle in a soft absorbent towel.

I honestly would let her coat/skin give itself a chance to establish a natural balance (no shampooing, no heavy brushing) and then re-evaluate the situation.

If she has a particularly itchy patch try rubbing a little Sudocreme into it.

The fish oils are good btw.

do keep us updated as to the course of action you decide to follow and its outcome.

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Wed Aug 14 2013, 06:18

Hi lynda had already decided not to give her any more baths and I didn't realise that the brush maybe too harsh on her skin so will stick to the grooming mitt. Thinking about it I could have used the hose to get the worst off as she loves that too. I think that maybe I am just panicking a bit its a long time since I had a puppy and just want to do the best for her. Im gonna leave it be for a while and see what happens to be honest its worrying me more than her. Thanks for all the advice will keep you posted
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down