yeast?

2 posters

Go down

yeast? Empty yeast?

Post by Oswald Fri Aug 09 2013, 03:07

feeling a tad silly-first-time-dog-owner now. A friend (and life time dog owner) visited the other day and said Oswald smelt yeasty....I googled and idea explains why he was so stinky!

Is there anything I can do for him naturally to get rid of yeast or is this a vet only scenario?

Oswald
Oswald
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
yeast? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Oswald
Dog(s) Ages : 31/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

yeast? Empty Re: yeast?

Post by Guest Fri Aug 09 2013, 10:39

Yeast infection can be quite annoying for both parties. What is he fed at the moment? It is usually a mix of a food intollerance and immune system problems. It could require steroids and a change of diet. I would get to the vet and take some advice from a nutritionalist.

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Fri Aug 09 2013, 22:49

Thanks Hayley that makes sense he is an allergy prone dog. He had a hives outbreak after both his vaccines Sad
He is feed raw, no kibble but was having table scrap veggies, treats of popcorn occasionally etc which I have since read is a no no for yeasty dogs so will stop that and take him to see the vet.
Oswald
Oswald
yeast? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 09 2013, 23:02

Our vet gave us a wash that we bathe darcy's feet with Smile definitely worth a vet visit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 09 2013, 23:06

You could also try adding a little apple cider venegar to his drinking water. That'll often reduce the levels of yeast.

I wouldn't be happy with steroids, though. There's no need unless it's an ongoing & debilitating problem. In fact I wouldn't bother with the vets just yet until you see whether the apple cider vinegar works.

If he's fed raw then I doubt it's his food. You could stop the table scraps for a while & see if that helps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 09 2013, 23:16

Yeast infections can be caused by a number of things, including allergens, debris, water (for swimming dogs) and perforated ear drums. It's best to consult a vet regarding serious/very sore infections due to the sensitivity of the ear.

A vet will probably examine the ear first to ensure that there are no perforations or underlying problems and may possibly take a sample for microscopic investigation. They will then prescribe, depending on the area of infection (inner, middle or outer ear) medication such as antifungal ointment, tablets or injections. They may also recommend a thorough cleaning of the infected ear.

Hope he feels better soon!

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Sat Aug 10 2013, 08:19

Thank you I have apple cider vinegar so I am doing that right now!!
Eleanor his ears smell ok it is an all over thing, especially his feet though.
Would tea tree oil diluted help you think to bath his feet in?
Oswald
Oswald
yeast? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 10 2013, 08:49

I'm not sure about the tea tree oil sorry, I use dermacton cream on darcy feet when they're are really sore. Plus the foot wash of the vet seems to keep it under control. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 10 2013, 11:53

I don't think the tea tree oil will do anything to reduce yeast. You need something acidic like the apple cider vin. If it's a reaction to an allergen, though, you could try wiping his feet with a solution of ACV and boiled, cooled water every time you come in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Aug 11 2013, 09:24

Tea tree oil is toxic to dogs in reasonable doses so is probably best avoided in an area like their feet (which they are likely to lick).

The yeast is a side effect of allergies, so controlling allergies is a good first step ... this is easier said than done though as a lot of allergens are air borne.

For Chiquito I use the following ...

- raw diet
- hypoallergenic baby wipes to clean his paws/belly/legs/face each time he comes inside
- apple cider vinegar as a feet soak and/or as a wipe over (especially in areas like their underarms where yeast tends to accumulate)
- a good shampoo and conditioner ... this is the one I am using at the moment  http://www.pawbyblackmores.com/products/mediderm-shampoo and http://www.pawbyblackmores.com/products/nutriderm-replenishing-conditioner The conditioner can be used as a foot soak which is really helpful, and the conditioner can be applied directly or as a spray
- Zyrtec tablet daily for allergies

Making sure the feet are dry (after bathing, if outside when damp/wet etc) is also helpful.
Kell
Kell
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Mon Aug 12 2013, 13:33

Thanks everyone lots of great advice I will let you know how we go!
Oswald
Oswald
yeast? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down