Advice for 7 month old wiz

3 posters

Go down

Advice for 7 month old wiz Empty Advice for 7 month old wiz

Post by Charrr Wed Jul 24 2013, 01:22

Hey everyone, so wiz is now 7 months old and has grown so much. He is such great fun and has loads of energy now. He passed in puppy school and learnt to swim, the hard way lol. Wiz still likes to have a nip but where his teeth are big it's a bit painful now, any idea how I can stop this?? When he gets like this if I tell him no he gets crazy excited and runs around in a 8 shape.
Up until now wiz has slept in a crate at night so that he cannot chase the cats or cause trouble. He is beginning to outgrow it and loves sleeping at the end of my bed. Any ideas how I can get him to stop chasing the cats and any opinions on taking the crate away
Charrr
Charrr
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Wiz
Dog(s) Ages : 20weeks we share a birthday
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Advice for 7 month old wiz Empty Re: Advice for 7 month old wiz

Post by Charrr Wed Jul 24 2013, 01:24

Advice for 7 month old wiz Null_zpscecf5feb

Advice for 7 month old wiz Null_zps4d78970e

Advice for 7 month old wiz Null_zpsbee66e66
Charrr
Charrr

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrigley Wed Jul 24 2013, 02:30

With Wrigley and our cats (who are siamese and do not back down), it has been a matter of repetative training efforts. 1) He was never allowed to chase them, ever. He would get the big NO and SIT DOWN. 2) Gentle interaction. If a cat walks into the room and his ears perk up / body becomes alert, its a firm NO. Then distract with a chew toy or continued play to move his interest onwards. Basically I have been working him so he finds the cats uninteresting. Mostly he wants to play but needs to learn that our cats do not enjoy playing with puppies Same as for our sheep and chickens. He never even bats an eye at the chickens which I've been surprised. Was a bit curious about the sheep, but since they are bigger than him and a few mothers have come right up to him and scared him off when he was little, that helps. For some reason the cats have taken longer, maybe because they hiss and growl at him (which is technically giving him attention). I also tell the cats to be quiet (believe it or not, we have them pretty trained, for cats). I think we are pretty good at this stage, although ANY time I see him looking at the cats (or being a bit jealous if they are on the lounge with me), I'll still gently say no and he will drop it and move on. I think you probably need to keep working on it. The best time to for him to slowly begin to be around cats (in a controlled fashion, you may need to have him on a leash in the house) is when he is already tired out and quiet. As we all know, a staffie that is full of energy and boisterous is not as likely to listen to anything you say and the high energy will freak out the cat(s), causing them to run and trigger a chase response. Good luck with your training!
Wrigley
Wrigley
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Wrigley
Dog(s) Ages : DOB 26/02/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 24 2013, 05:11

It takes lots of time and patience but he's a bright boy and will learn this may help with the biting --> http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/stop_your_staffy_puppy_biting and perhaps some of this link may help with the cats--> https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t36713-introducing-dogs-and-cats. As for crating/not crating it entirely up to you if you want him on your bed, a few of our members have only used crates until a certain age and now their furbabies sleep with them Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 24 2013, 10:09

I can't give advice on the cats as I don't (and wouldn't) have any!

Do you really want to get rid of the crate? We've left Dempsey's where it is & he uses it as his den - it's covered on the top & 3 sides so it's nice & private for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 24 2013, 10:11

If possible have a baby gate up and this will give the cats a chance to get out of the way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Jul 24 2013, 10:12

I wouldn't do away with the crate but if it is too small can you exchange it for a larger size one ?

I dont have cats either so cannot help there sorry.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Charrr Thu Jul 25 2013, 00:12

Hey guys thank you for all your advice. I shall keep up the hard work. I really want him to be able to sleep out of the cage and get rid of it completely. I guess I just have to try it one night aha. The cat chasing just seems like it will never stop he sees them before I do usually. If he keeps his leash on he always get stuck somewhere. Our cats like to either run away or wind him up so it doesn't help the situation much.
Charrr
Charrr

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down