Advice needed, sadly we had to give up Winston our 6 month old staff

4 posters

Go down

Crying Advice needed, sadly we had to give up Winston our 6 month old staff

Post by katrina1987 Sun Oct 14 2012, 20:21

We had to rehome our staff Winston 2days ago Sad , it wasnt an easy decision and i had been thinking bout it for amonth or so. He was 5-6months old, very well behaved but only for my hubby. He had no respect for me at all, even with simple commands such as NO.So for this reason he would try and challenge me and bully me,things like draggin me across the room by my boot,tryin to jump higher then me, barking at me and this started to worryme as we have a 2.5yr old and a 11month old so decided best thing was to rehome him. We decided no dog shelters or kennels, either a friend or a friend of a friend so we can get updates regular on him. I decided best to tell the people we bought him off of as they were our neighbours and really dog crazy lol,and have 5dogs in total 4 of them being staffs and she hit the roof demanding the dog back and saying she would make our life hell if we didnt give him back and i explained we found a loving home up the road and they had even offered us £100 for him to ensure good home and to recover some costs as he cost £300 and that certainlly doesnt come easy now adays.

She said i wasnt a loud to rehome him with anyone else only them and we explained obviously we paid £300 tothemfor him and we were ensuring he was havin a good home and they carried on kicking off,and in the end they offered us the £100 to have him back but i also exopkained he was due to go vets mon/tues for a rash i had been treating athome as advised for vets and they said no we will do that, we will pay for it and we agreed ok then. So the fella come by thurs evening completely fine, polite and said he had his vet appointment booked and we explained that we couldnt manage or i couldnt with 2little ones also wehave a parsons and shes been with us 4-5 yrs now and he was fine about it, he said there and then what he expected the vets to cost and they would do it and we said fine then and left it at that. I think what the couple didnt realise was that they demanded the dog back that day basically givin us no choice and now the bloke come round this morning, handed my hubby a vet bill demanding we pay it shouting and being abusive and said he will report us to RSPCA if we don't and will cause us all manners of hassle! But were so annoyed as the fact is we had sorted a home, was going to take him vets mon/tues once paid but they wouldnt have none of this and new would cause problems in the long run.

The fact is also we paid £300 for this puppy, it was our choice what to do but got put in a position. Where do we stand, does anyone know as they took the puppy back knowing he had a rash and said they would treat it aslong as they could have him back that evening as they so desperately needed and wanted him back, are we liable then for this as seems very unfair?

These people know have mum staffy, dad staffy, 3pupp staffsand 1 jack terrier cross in a 3bedroom house, there dogs constantly charge at our fence,smash it and break panels, we know they wont fix it now as they are being awkward but one of there staffs are very sharp but we don't have disposable income to pay for things there dogs have done or false promises?

Advice please, experiences and any sites I can visit to gather more information to help us

Last edited by katrina1987 on Sun Oct 14 2012, 20:24; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correctspelling)

katrina1987
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Winston (staffy), Lola (parsons terrier)
Dog(s) Ages : Winston 15 weeks and Lola almost 5
Dog Gender(s) : Winston (male) Lola (female)
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Crying Re: Advice needed, sadly we had to give up Winston our 6 month old staff

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14 2012, 20:36

Alot of breeders will say if you want to give up the dog then they MUST go back to the breeder and not allowed to be sold on.

This is very responsible by the breeder the SHOULD take their pups back at any age.

Did they not tell you this when you bought him?

I know you've already decided but winston sounds like a typical pup to me but hey ho what's done is done.

Back to top Go down

Post by katrina1987 Sun Oct 14 2012, 20:39

They are not registered breeders at all, there was no contract and nothing was ever stated, unfortunally whats done is done is done but not to them and really need some advice. Indeed typical staff but typical or not would have not been fair for me to keep him not being able to have full control of him and the way he was acting with me. Advice please people

katrina1987

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffiesrus Sun Oct 14 2012, 20:49

Doesnt sound like a nice situation. As Ella said most good breeders have an agreement when selling a pup that you must re-home through them and I applaude that. Yours is a perfect example of why it is important for breeders to keep in touch with the pups they sell. Was the breeder aware of the problems you were having considering he lives next door? Pity you didnt seek advice here as there are lots of experienced owners here to advise on preventing problems rather than dealing with domestic disputes after the dog has been given up.
Hope you get sorted.

Staffiesrus
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Advice needed, sadly we had to give up Winston our 6 month old staff  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Oct 14 2012, 20:51

this was puppy stage... you should of gave him to a rescue

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Oct 14 2012, 20:56

In the eyes of the law it is a civil dispute, not a lot you can do or will be done.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 01:13

If there was no contract then the breeder did not have the legal 'right' to demand the pup back, but you could say that they have the moral 'right' to make sure he goes to a good home - I know I would if I were in their position.

Although it's too late now, you really ought to have sought help with the pup's training before deciding to rehome - you probably could have made great inroads purely with the right training. Sad

As far as the vets bills go, did you have any witness to say that the dog was booked to go to the vets for his rash? Can you ask the vets to confirm that an appointment had been made? Do you have any witness to the fact that you told the breeder that he was booked in to the vets?

If not, you may well have to pay the bill.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 07:19

Sad situation but what is done is done, I really don't see any grounds here for a legal case to be made about vets bills or anything and nothing contractually (I'm not a lawyer though) . What you do have though is an extremely uncomforatable situation with what appears to be an overpowering neighbour, so you either pay the bill to keep the peace or you brave it out depends who the stronger willed is I suppose and not something we can help you with on here, or at least not from an experienced level.
As others have said it's a shame you didn't come earlier , sure this pups mischief could have been controlled and we could have definitely helped you with that one.
Best of luck with your neighbour Straight Face

Back to top Go down

Post by katrina1987 Mon Oct 15 2012, 09:18

Well I feel Icertainllly have made the best choice, my children and other dog are much happier now and so am i less stressed.No I didnt have an appointment booked but was goin to ring up and do today but decided to say basically stuff them as its my legal right not to pay and they dont haVE A leg to stand on. I have textes sayin i wanted to take him vets and replies from them sayin no we want him back, we will take him when we want and pay so what more can i say really. Thanks for all your comments and advice

katrina1987

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down