Going in search of a PC

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Going in search of a PC  Empty Going in search of a PC

Post by Guest Sat Jul 20 2013, 16:34

Opened my pennies tin yesterday that I've been saving for the last 2 years when I empty my pocket , just short of £400 . Going to start looking for a new pc ( my old one is about 8-9 yrs old now ) , anybody got any recent good experiences , I'm tempted to just go back to Dell

Only looked for a reasonable spec tower , no monitor etc , will hang on to what I have for now as they are still working so use the money to invest in the best tower I can get for the price

Don't do any gaming or stuff , maybe some photoshop

Back to top Go down

Going in search of a PC  Empty Re: Going in search of a PC

Post by Guest Sat Jul 20 2013, 16:37

We don't have a pc anymore iPads/iPods/iPhones so I'm no good Laughing sorry, good luck in your search Dave Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Sat Jul 20 2013, 16:39

Im no help either Sad Im a mac user, or a laptop. But Dell are pretty good, never had a problem with our work computers.
Maria90
Maria90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 20 2013, 16:42

Maria90 wrote:Im no help either :(Im a mac user, or a laptop. But Dell are pretty good, never had a problem with our work computers.

All my work is Dell , my old pc is Dell and we bought a Dell laptop 6 years ao but sometimes its easy just getting into familiar territory

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 20 2013, 16:44

We have Dell work too, never have any problems thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 20 2013, 17:50

That's good going with the saving! Afraid all computer stuff just goes way over my head, I would probably end up with an abacus for ya!Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 20 2013, 18:23

Inezmaria70 wrote:That's good going with the saving! Afraid all computer stuff just goes way over my head, I would probably end up with an abacus for ya!Laughing 

I thought I had more but a gut feeling it was less so on balance not a bad little result ( might just stick another hundred on top out o the real savings and not tell Jo >Smile  )

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 20 2013, 19:05

mine is what i think a bloody good comp. ill let you know waht it is when i go upstairs lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 20 2013, 19:15

we are saving for an alien ware pc as we are wanting it for gaming, plus they look a bit sexy Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 20 2013, 19:17

Just googles them. they are pretty sexy looking

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Jul 20 2013, 20:57

Here is a good deal for a refurb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medion-E4057-Desktop-PC-Quad-Core-A10-5700-Processor-8GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-Win-8-/290917749120?clk_rvr_id=502357920732
Jay
Jay

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Roxy
Dog(s) Ages : 29 Weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 54

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 20 2013, 22:06

I prefer a tower PC as well Dave; not only can I see the monitor without tilting it around and screwing my eyes up, but the ankle biter in my house can't pinch it and take it upstairs to his lair!

My current one is a Packard Bell from PC World, more memory than I will ever need - could wish that it takes DVDs instead of just CDs but that was an oversight on my part.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sat Jul 20 2013, 23:02

Dell are good but tbh your just paying for a name these days as the playing field has leveld out alot. have a look at www.ebuyer.com you can get some great spec pc's for next to nothing withought a name to them. my current was a bare bones cobbled together with a few other parts. they do a good warrenty and the parts are prob the same that dell/hp use anyway. i used them to gut my tosh laptop and rebuild it with bespoke parts and it scores well above what it did before. i use it for vid editing as well as work stuff with no porbs at all.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Jul 20 2013, 23:04

I will ask hubby tomorrow Dave, more his area of expertise
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 20 2013, 23:49

Mike wrote:Just googles them. they are pretty sexy looking

Big Grin told you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 09:10

ella wrote:we are saving for an alien ware pc as we are wanting it for gaming, plus they look a bit sexy Wink

Don't need a mega spec gaming pc though Ella as these are also mega priced and I would never get my money's worth out of its capabilities

MrToast wrote:Here is a good deal for a refurb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medion-E4057-Desktop-PC-Quad-Core-A10-5700-Processor-8GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-Win-8-/290917749120?clk_rvr_id=502357920732

Does look tidy , but pretty sure this will not be a picture of the actual one so not clear how "cosmetically marked" it will be , and not sure how the processor compares ( I was aiming at a 3rd generation I5 ) TBH 1 of these is something I would consider buying if I was in a shop and could view it but the fact that it is billed as cosmetiucally damaged leaves it wide open for misinterpretation under terms of sale

Lynda wrote:I prefer a tower PC as well Dave; not only can I see the monitor without tilting it around and screwing my eyes up, but the ankle biter in my house can't pinch it and take it upstairs to his lair!

My current one is a Packard Bell from PC World, more memory than I will ever need - could wish that it takes DVDs instead of just CDs but that was an oversight on my part.  

Take it yours is an old one too then Lynda , not seen one with a cd only option for quite a while Smile

Nathan wrote:Dell are good but tbh your just paying for a name these days as the playing field has leveld out alot. have a look at www.ebuyer.com you can get some great spec pc's for next to nothing withought a name to them. my current was a bare bones cobbled together with a few other parts. they do a good warrenty and the parts are prob the same that dell/hp use anyway. i used them to gut my tosh laptop and rebuild it with bespoke parts and it scores well above what it did before. i use it for vid editing as well as work stuff with no porbs at all.

Might be worth a look Nathan , have a little time today , TBH my old one is still working so I am not desperate and was hanging on and hanging on but with all technology you will NEVER come out on top

Kathy wrote:I will ask hubby tomorrow Dave, more his area of expertise

Thanks Kathy Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jul 21 2013, 10:20

I haven't had a chance to speak to hubby yet Dave but my advice would be to have a word with these guys, tell them what you are looking for, how much you want to spend, and what you will be using the computer for. I found them to be very good and reasonably priced machines:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/?adword=google%2FBrand+-+Search+-+OcUK%2FOverclockers+UK+-+Brand+Oc%2Foverclockers&amktid=29598874494587542&gclid=CMKT3cagwLgCFSGWtAod5XkA3w
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 10:21

Kathy wrote:I haven't had a chance to speak to hubby yet Dave but my advice would be to have a word with these guys, tell them what you are looking for, how much you want to spend, and what you will be using the computer for. I found them to be very good and reasonably priced machines:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/?adword=google%2FBrand+-+Search+-+OcUK%2FOverclockers+UK+-+Brand+Oc%2Foverclockers&amktid=29598874494587542&gclid=CMKT3cagwLgCFSGWtAod5XkA3w

So you've bought from them Kathy ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jul 21 2013, 10:22

Yes I have, had a word with them explained what I wanted it for, photoshop etc but no gaming, they are very good.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 10:27

Kathy wrote:Yes I have, had a word with them explained what I wanted it for, photoshop etc but no gaming, they are very good.

What sort of price did you end up paying , how long ago and what sort of spec ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jul 21 2013, 10:34

Can't remember now, this was about 4 years ago, will ask hubby later for the details.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 10:38

Have you looked into getting something like this?

Going in search of a PC  Laptop11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 10:53

Classic Mike! Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 13:35

Mike wrote:Have you looked into getting something like this?

Mike if this is your idea of a personal review , I really think you should stick with joinery as your forte mate, my 2 1/2 year old grandson could pick a better laptop than that Rolling Eyes , no wonder you were having a few internet problems recently

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 13:38

Dave wrote:

Only looked for a reasonable spec tower , no monitor etc ,

Mike wrote:Have you looked into getting something like this?

And other thing Mike , appreciate your efforts but please read the posts more carefully before replying ( not looking for a laptop doh  )

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 13:41

I was having internet problems because next door had moved their modem to the other side of the house and these fit perfectly on the desk Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 13:44

Mike wrote:I was having internet problems because next door had moved their modem to the other side of the house and these fit perfectly on the desk Big Grin 
rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor  sometimes I am really not sure where fact starts and jokes end I dont want to s 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 14:30

Having a look at some Zoostorm pc's , anybody got one , they seem quite reasonably priced , any reason for that ??

Also windows 8 , who's got it and likes it ??

Closest OS I have atm is windows 7 pro on my work lap , all my other stuff is XP still as I'm a dinosaur

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Jul 21 2013, 14:55

No idea what a Zoostorm is sorry .... I have a HP PC (no tower though, touch screen all in one) and a Samsung laptop and can recommend both if that helps though

Windows 8 is fine once you get used to it .. Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 14:59

I don't know anything at all about this stuff, but Father in Law is very clued up on it all and says that windows 8 is crap!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 15:05

XP!!!
Dave me mircowave has a newer OS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 15:07

Kell wrote:
No idea what a Zoostorm is sorry .... I have a HP PC (no tower though, touch screen all in one) and a Samsung laptop and can recommend both if that helps though

Very posh , don't like the idea of touch screen all in one though as bit limited if all goes wrong , and I couldn't be a1rsed to clean the screen every 2 mins as I'm posting whilst eating a kebab:lol: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Jul 21 2013, 15:09

Inezmaria70 wrote:I don't know anything at all about this stuff, but Father in Law is very clued up on it all and says that windows 8 is crap!

It is crap .. but so was 7 when it came out Smile If you want a good OS stay with XP or go Mac Wink
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 15:09

Mike wrote:XP!!!
Dave me mircowave has a newer OS

It is XP Pro , my 2nd laptop was vista and rubbish so when the hard drive died I " upgraded to XP pro " , my Dell PC cam with it and discovered the licence was open

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Jul 21 2013, 15:13

Dave wrote:
Kell wrote:

Very posh , don't like the idea of touch screen all in one though as bit limited if all goes wrong , and I couldn't be a1rsed to clean the screen every 2 mins as I'm posting whilst eating a kebab:lol: 

Laughing  probably not kebab friendly, though mine survives well without being cleaned .. wireless mouse and keyboard probably help that though ;)The huge touch screen took me a while to get used to, love it now though - looks posh, but really I just chose it because it takes up so little room compared to a monitor and tower ...
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 15:23

Kell wrote:
Inezmaria70 wrote:I don't know anything at all about this stuff, but Father in Law is very clued up on it all and says that windows 8 is crap!

It is crap .. but so was 7 when it came out :)If you want a good OS stay with XP or go Mac Wink

I like some of the features of 7 pro as I use it for work , seen some of these Zoostorm pc's are quite well priced and good spec , downgraded to 7 pro , lacking things like a media card reader , wifi etc , easy enough for me to sort out myself as they are cheap as chips ( not microchips of course as they are quite expensive )

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Jul 21 2013, 15:36

I have 7 on both mine and like it .. I have 8 on my work laptop and computer and have gotten used to it, I find it makes more sense on the touch screen (it is kind of like using apps once you get the hang of it). I should say that 8 is getting better with upgrades - though using it for a while is probably helping the cause as well Smile

Have just been advised by gamer teens that the 'story' on the Zoostorm i5 tower is "cheap, basically does what it says - no upgrades though" ...

"No spare slots" .. I missed that bit, sorry.
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 15:59

Kell wrote:I have 7 on both mine and like it .. I have 8 on my work laptop and computer and have gotten used to it, I find it makes more sense on the touch screen (it is kind of like using apps once you get the hang of it). I should say that 8 is getting better with upgrades - though using it for a while is probably helping the cause as well Smile

Have just been advised by gamer teens that the 'story' on the Zoostorm i5 tower is "cheap, basically does what it says - no upgrades though" ...

"No spare slots" .. I missed that bit, sorry.

cheers Kell , assume that counts for what you buy as there are ones with upgradeable slots on there

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Jul 21 2013, 16:04

Windows 8 sucks, widows vista sucks, 7 is ok, xp is lightweight and ok, windows 98se was my all time fave, or go linux
Jay
Jay

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Roxy
Dog(s) Ages : 29 Weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 54

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Jul 21 2013, 16:06

I would assume so Dave .. again though, I had no idea what they even were until I asked Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 16:06

i hate window 8!!

my comp is a HP pavilion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Jul 21 2013, 16:16

MrToast wrote:Windows 8 sucks, widows vista sucks, 7 is ok, xp is lightweight and ok, windows 98se was my all time fave, or go linux

Linux still has its fair share of problems .. would be nice if it didn't though Smile Would be even nicer if the old windows OS would still work - I agree that the older they are the better they are!
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 16:16

Now I know you didn't want a new screen/keyboard/mouse but this may be just what you need. Big Grin

Going in search of a PC  C52a3355c2239dbeb30b553a0aa0b020_zps2448da16

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Jul 21 2013, 16:18

Laughing ... it is easy to wipe over ....
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 17:41

and with windmill looks like its powered by wind which in your company isn't a bad thing

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jul 21 2013, 17:48

Darcy-may wrote:Now I know you didn't want a new screen/keyboard/mouse but this may be just what you need. Big Grin

Going in search of a PC  C52a3355c2239dbeb30b553a0aa0b020_zps2448da16

Ummm don't like the colour Big Grin 
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 17:58

Not really my colour either kathy, but I'm thinking it could be daves. hee hee

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 18:01

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 19:31

Yeah Dave I probably bought an end-of-range model looking to save money, never thought that having no DVD drive would be such a nuisance, but I cope.

I had XP on the my last computer which I blew up (and which caused me to start smoking again) and I don't know why they wanted to change from it, except that they are always changing things and not always for the better. My current PC came with Windows 7, which I am JUST starting to get my head around although I don't like it, and I won't touch Windows 8 unless I have to.

The pink laptops look lovely, guys - if I blow up this computer I may consider one as I would think it would suit my level of intelligence Big Grin 

Good luck Dave - it's a minefield out there ....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21 2013, 19:40

Lynda wrote:
I had XP on the my last computer which I blew up (and which caused me to start smoking again)

Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised  call the fire brigade quick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next