change in behaviour

4 posters

Go down

change in behaviour Empty change in behaviour

Post by watergirl Wed Jul 03 2013, 15:15

hi all im hoping some one can help me, we have had our staffy girl for 2 months she is now nearly 6 months old , she used to be fine with me when everyone left for work but for about 2 weeks now she just lays with her ears back and sometimes even shaking badly and looks so sad when they are gone , she also wont eat or drink anything all day for me, i even took her to the vet as i was so worried but they say nothings wrong, she trys to get up on the top of the lounge and just look out the window also, she has stopped wanting to play with me and wont walk on the lead for me she just lays down and wont move, she is my dog but i feel like she doesnt like me anymore and i love you so much but i dont know what to do for her to make her feel happy, as i am disabled and housebound she is my companion, but when they all come home from work she runs and plays with them and will eat and drink like nothing is wrong but still doesnt seem to want to be with me, i do hope someone may be able to assist me thank you

watergirl
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

change in behaviour Empty Re: change in behaviour

Post by Guest Wed Jul 03 2013, 16:32

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Oh, wow, what a dilemma! Can you tell me if she has been spayed?

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jul 03 2013, 17:36

What sort of games, training are able to do with her? The slightest attention gets them going, and if she was fine for the first couple of months has anything changed that could change her behavior?

Hiya from me and Moo, maybe you come over and introduce yourself ............ Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 03 2013, 22:10

To be honest, a dog loves the person who takes it out. Dogs are fickle creatures. Just try to play more mind games with her and train her

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 03 2013, 22:29

This is very sad for you and must feel like a kick in the teeth when she's "your" dog and you love her so much.

Caryll asks if she has been spayed and this is relevant as she is coming to the age when she would be coming into season, and this can be very unsettling for the first time in a very young little girl.

Otherwise, and maybe also, it sounds as if she is just missing the other members of your family when they go to work and has got to the stage of (relative) maturity when her little doggy mind has started wondering where they have gone and if they will come back. I'll bet that if you go out and leave her with your family (particularly if there is only one in the house when you go out) she would miss you equally! This was certainly the case with my own dog when he was a young puppy - he was inconsolable when my son went out, and according to my son he was inconsolable when I went out! This stage does pass as the puppy gradually comes to trust that his loved ones DO return!

Don't despair! (((Hugs)))

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Thu Jul 04 2013, 11:46

my mum has a maltese x Pomeranian, and he absolutely adores my mum, but is also very very close to all family members, if she goes out he will not budge from his bed, wont eat or drink, wont interact or anything, as soon as mum is home, he is so playful with my brother and I and wont stop running around!
I am sorry that your pup is like this, it must be worrying for you especially that you feel its because of you, but don't relate it to that, as she is probably just wondering where everyone is! If you can get some toys a rope or chew toy or ball to muck around a bit with her im sure she will ease up, and loads of treats too! Smile
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by watergirl Thu Jul 04 2013, 14:14

buffy has not been desexed yet , she is booked in to be done in 2 weeks time, thank you all for replying to me i will definitely try to find some more games we can play together although im fairly limited due to my cerebral palsy, and i will keep telling her that i love her, and giving lots of pats, and massages when she shakes badly and cuddles, i will never give up on her she is my very special little girl and im sure with help and support from the wonderful people on this site things hopefully will improve for her also as i want her to have a wonderful and happy life that she deserves again thank you all and i will let you know how things go xx

watergirl

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Jul 04 2013, 16:42

Hi watergirl. Pups are funny creatures particularly as they adjust to a new routine, and a whole new way of life really! A few ideas for you to try. When you say she wont eat do you mean just her normal food or treats too? Have you tried bit of cut up sausage? Since you say she is hyper and excitable when the rest of the family are there you should get her used to anything new when they are there so she is excited by it. For example the games I have included the links too below, when she sees you taking them out she will remember playing with them before and should get excited.

I think a training class is a good idea. This will help you build a bond with her. Do you have an electric wheelchair? If not and you have a manual one then you might have to make something to attach to the chair to hold her lead for you and give you an 'extra hand'. I think training is important for you to build a bond, in time she will also realise that you are just as much fun as you able-bodied family members.

Pups love to learn and once she sees you have a lot to teach her she will bond with you. She is just being a typical fickle puppy! I did a bit of research and came up with the following links. I hope they are helpful. Are you anywhere near Bristol/Bath? I could help if you are not too far away? Are you on facebook? There is a disabled dog owner's page which might be useful to you to meet others who have similar problems.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brain-Games-Dogs-provide-stimulation/dp/1842862774
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=183&pf_id=56313&utm_source=ShoppingFeed&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CMes96WUlrgCFZLKtAodSHUAmQ
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=183&pf_id=56314&utm_source=ShoppingFeed&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CJ3UgsCUlrgCFXMRtAod8XwAbw
http://www.disabledinfo.co.uk/dis/2074-dont-let-a-disability-keep-you-from-enjoying-your-.asp
http://www.dogaid.org.uk/
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 04 2013, 20:14

watergirl wrote:buffy has not been desexed yet , she is booked in to be done in 2 weeks time, thank you all for replying to me i will definitely try to find some more games we can play together although im fairly limited due to my cerebral palsy,  and i will  keep telling her that i love her, and giving lots of pats, and massages when she shakes badly and cuddles, i will never give up on her she is my very special little girl and im sure with help and support from the wonderful people on this site things hopefully will improve for her also as i want her to have a wonderful and happy life that she deserves again thank you all and i will let you know how things go xx

If she is coming into season then the vet will postpone the spaying. It's better not to spay while she's in season.

A bitch will often seem a bit mopey or moody when heading towards her first heat, but it won't last long.

Lc (Nosipho) has given some good advice there & the links may be of help. If you can do some training with her she will start to look to you for guideance & the bond will grow from there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 04 2013, 21:10

Yes it's early days yet Watergirl, puppies can be real handful at times, they are still learning about the world, coming to terms with their own growing maturity (think teenager - Aargh!) but gradually, gradually they learn to adapt themselves to their family's dynamics - who goes out when and comes back when, who can play boisterous games with them and who can't, who can give them a loving quiet time and who is good for a walk - she'll get there!

You've been given good advice and encouragement above - she WILL need training and your other family members must play their part in this.

Do keep in touch, there is always someone here to listen and to help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down