urgent advice needed please

3 posters

Go down

urgent advice needed please Empty urgent advice needed please

Post by LynneAJ Sat Jun 29 2013, 07:49

Hey all

Looking for some advice. My dogs 9 and a half months old now and is currently in her first season. I have been very vigilant with her herin relation to her being kept away from males... up until this morning when i made a stupid lapse of concentration

My stepson woke me up to say he was feeling unwell....i got up to get him medicine and as i did so Poppy ran to the door to get out for her morning pee. It was the around 7 a.m so i just let her out....then ran back into house to give my stepson his medicine. Anyways to cut a long story short usually poppy comes straight back in after a pee....she didnt this time so by time i went bk out to get her i found her running about in the garden with a male dog Sad 

I was only gone for a matter of five mins at the most but now im worried sick that the boy has got to her.....

I realise i made a silly mistake....Sad 
LynneAJ
LynneAJ
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy
Dog(s) Ages : 10/9/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

urgent advice needed please Empty Re: urgent advice needed please

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29 2013, 07:50

So this was some random male dog that just got into your garden ??

Back to top Go down

Post by LynneAJ Sat Jun 29 2013, 07:53

Yeah Sad As soon as it seen me it jumped the high fence.....the same way it must have gotten in
LynneAJ
LynneAJ

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29 2013, 08:01

Then assuming you don't want to consider any options for her at 9.5 months she is just a kid herself , it's off to the vet for the modern day mismate jab (my vet told me it has been superceded by a better alternative) He can advise you if you need to wait a certain period of days etc

You will find along with myself the majority of people on here will all advise the same course of action , nobody want another unwanted litter Smile Please keep us updated

Back to top Go down

Post by LynneAJ Sat Jun 29 2013, 08:05

Thanks. Yeah i defo dont want her having pups at all for the very reason you mentioned. Just a few days ago i was in touch with the vets to get her booked in for spaying as soon as is possible after her season ends.thanks
LynneAJ
LynneAJ

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29 2013, 08:10

LynneAJ wrote:Thanks. Yeah i defo dont want her having pups at all for the very reason you mentioned. Just a few days ago i was in touch with the vets to get her booked in for spaying as soon as is possible after her season ends.thanks

Well the spaying is a separate issue as personally I would wait until after the 2nd season . But if your mind is made up about it then it is possible the vet may consider spaying her after her season and removing any pups that might be there.
If you have made the decision you don't want her having any pups then the best person to speak to is your vet really, he will advise you what the best for poppy is and thats the most important issue

Back to top Go down

Post by LynneAJ Sat Jun 29 2013, 08:14

Thanks. Yeah im going to phone my vets as soon as they open to see what they say.
LynneAJ
LynneAJ

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29 2013, 08:19

Let us know how you get on at the vets Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Jun 29 2013, 09:43

Great advise above, definitely trip to the vets in order Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29 2013, 12:41

any update for us ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29 2013, 12:56

Dave wrote:You will find along with myself the majority of people on here will all advise the same course of action , nobody want another unwanted litter Smile Please keep us updated

Definitely - she's far too young to have pups. She may not have mated, but it's impossible to tell if you didn't see anything, and contrary to popular opinion dogs don't need to 'tie' for a pregnancy to occur.

Dave wrote:
LynneAJ wrote:Thanks. Yeah i defo dont want her having pups at all for the very reason you mentioned. Just a few days ago i was in touch with the vets to get her booked in for spaying as soon as is possible after her season ends.thanks

Well the spaying is a separate issue as personally I would wait until after the 2nd season . But if your mind is made up about it then it is possible the vet may consider spaying her after her season and removing any pups that might be there.

Yes, a vet can spay & remove any pup embryos at the same time, but as Dave said it would be better for her if you waited until after her second season.

The mismate jab can have side effects, but your vet will go through all that with you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29 2013, 12:57

What stage of her season is she in? Has she just started, or has it been going on for more than 10 days?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Jun 29 2013, 15:53

Any news yet ??
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by LynneAJ Sat Jun 29 2013, 18:03

Hey all. Just back on. Got in touch with my vets and they advised two jags, 24 hours apart which they say is similar to a morning after pill i guess. She can get them anytime in the next 45 days but obviously the sooner the better.

Caryll as shes the first female ive had imnot exactly sure of the terminology etc but i first noticed changes over a week ago and she has been bleeding for four/five days
LynneAJ
LynneAJ

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29 2013, 19:01

Defo need the jab then!

Personally as for spaying I would wait until she is about 2 and fully mature.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 30 2013, 00:01

LynneAJ wrote:Hey all. Just back on. Got in touch with my vets and they advised two jags, 24 hours apart which they say is similar to a morning after pill i guess. She can get them anytime in the next 45 days but obviously the sooner the better.

Caryll as shes the first female ive had imnot exactly sure of the terminology etc but i first noticed changes over a week ago and she has been bleeding for four/five days

As she's close to the 'receptive' stage of her season I'd definitely go for the the jabs. Did your vet explain the possible side effects?

The one that you should watch out for most is pyometra (infection of the womb) which can be very nasty. Just watch her closely for a week or so after the jabs & if there's any change in her health then take her back to the vets.

She may also get a phantom pregnancy, but hopefully not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 30 2013, 09:48

Caryll wrote:

As she's close to the 'receptive' stage of her season I'd definitely go for the the jabs. Did your vet explain the possible side effects?

The one that you should watch out for most is pyometra (infection of the womb) which can be very nasty. Just watch her closely for a week or so after the jabs & if there's any change in her health then take her back to the vets.

She may also get a phantom pregnancy, but hopefully not!

I'm not sure that this is the mis mate jab particularly Caryll as when I inquired with our vet last year on behalf of my son I was told they don't use it any more ( they may mean just some vets btw) and it was replaced by something else but can't for the life of me remember what it's called. So maybe best for the OP to recheck withe the Vet before proceeding and being aware as these side effects may not be relevant and indeed others may apply , as all treatments . But I think what we should all be sure about is that the benefits in this case should outweigh anything else for this little girl is so young

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 30 2013, 12:30

Sorry i cant help, as no experiance of things like this. Keep us updated Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down